Ain't supposed to happen

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This oddity caught my eye while taking some pics prior to our next severe thunderstorm. Pics taken of
a strangely colored iris from a clump of the very dark, velvety near black iris.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

2nd pic

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

3rd pic

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

4th pic Check the first clump in the right front near the red snapdragons. The blossom is just opening
like a tulip. This was taken yesterday so the above pics were not due to sun fade.

This message was edited May 15, 2009 5:47 PM

Lebanon, OR

Did you or someone near you spray with Roundup? This can happen with it.

Weather can do it...

D

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I have used roundup but I use a paintbrush to apply it to dandelions. The weather has been
terrible with excess rain and little sun. Most of my irises have bent over or broken stalks
from too much water in the stalks and wet, heavy blossoms.

Is there any way this mutant could be permanent? I will mark the stalk rz and replant it
hoping for more of the same blooms. I really like them.

Winnsboro, TX

I don't know but it's pretty none the less.

I don't know about ya'll but I'm sick of all this rain. Everything here has been water logged forever. I'm seriously thinking about digging all my irises up and putting them in the shed until we start to dry out. 2 or 3 years ago I lost nearly all my irises do to all the rain we had and no sunshine.

Marian

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I second that sick of rain idea.
I would also dig them up if you think they might rot.
It won't hurt them anymore than the rain is going to , so you have nothing to lose doing it.
except of course a ton of work lol

Gardenrose, do you cut the stalks off of your iris after they bloom?
I think they can make seeds somehow and maybe one of those have matured to bloom?
If you cut off the stalks, however, that wouldn't be the case of course.
I would cut it all out, and either toss it , or replant it. See what it does next year I guess.
Is it possible to be something you had planted in the past? I have dug iris, and then had it come back a couple years later, I guess missed a small piece of root that regrew.

South Hamilton, MA

The seeds can be dropped from a pod. Do cut stalks which have finished blooming. Rot can travel down the stalk to the rhizome.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Some weird things pop up in the iris world eh.
Here's a MDB with 6 falls no standards (first bloom) and then the next pic of the same plant the second bloom. No herbicides, probably the weather change thing.

Thumbnail by DaLoveRat
Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Next bloom.

Thumbnail by DaLoveRat
South Hamilton, MA

Suspect: cold damage while the first bud was forming. We had some damage here as the temp. shot up to 90 for 3 days, then back to cold. It depends what was in active growth at the time.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

This is Anvil of Darkness with Stinger

Thumbnail by avmoran
South Hamilton, MA

Cross the seedlings & get horns? I got a few horns with a nonhorned X horned iris. Wasn't after them, looking for BB size.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Exposure to herbicided if it does not kill the iris (which it usually doesn't except for MDB maybe some SDBs they show this type of mutation but it is temporary and will return the next year normal.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.