ID for tree blooming in France?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone I posted this on the Plant ID forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988650/ and it was suggested that someone here might be able to help.

My DH returned from the Champagne area of France last week and took a picture of this tree thinking I might know what it is...duh.. close up would have been nice. Anyway I told him it may be a long shot but I would ask if anyone on DG might know ?

TIA

Thumbnail by fleurone
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Doesn't look like a cherry or a crabapple, which are the usual 'suspects' for trees with pink flowers. Maybe Cercis siliquastrum? Yes, a close-up would help a lot!

Resin

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Hi there! Just stumbled across your question! (I don't get onto DG very often. :-(
Not sure if your question has been answered elsewhere, but it looks very much like a Lagerstroemia Indica (local name "Lilas des Indies"). They grow in profusion round here and I think the pink is nearer the "Lilas" colour than a Judas Tree (Cercis) which is more purple/pink. Also, the flower bunches look more like the "Lilas". Hope this is helpful.
Oh, and in Texas the "Lilas" are called Crape Myrtle I am told!!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Fleuriste, the crape myrtles aren't like that, though. We have one in our yard. I don't know the Latin name for them, though, so we may be talking about two different plants called crape myrtle.

Navan, Ireland

I think Resin is right. In the absence of a close up of the flower, Cercis is the most likely, even if it does seem rather large (but then this is in France)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

You've had your answer on the ID forum, but just adding to agree with Resin. It flowers before the leaves directly on the branches and, flowering in April/May, then it is a Cercis. They certainly grow to that size here. They are used as a street tree in Tarbes, the main town in Hautes Pyrenées. On the other side of the road are Magnolia grandiflora :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.