Clematis in a pot?

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I have a garden that I am clearing plants out of this spring to include a few clematis. Would it work (ie is it likely to bloom?) to take one of them and grow it in a large pot for the summer and then give it a new location in the fall?

Delaware, OH

yes, and if it is a tiny clem plant this is an even better way to get the plant established, if there will not be any issues with keeping it watered. because of your zone, you need to make sure you plant it out early enough in the late summer to give the roots time to establish themselves before going formant.

Appleton, WI

I rarely get around to planting the clematis at the "right time". I've planted them in November while it was lightly snowing, and last year, I planted the day before a big snow storm. While I'm not recommending planting clematis while it's snowing, I've never lost a clematis that was planted that late in the season. Well, except for the scrawny one that I got from Chalk Hill before they closed.

Delaware, OH

that is good to know julia jayne. i seem to have a much higher success ratio in the spring , like 100% and when i plant out in the fall sometimes lose one. not sure why. so i tend toward spring planting, but last year i got seduced by the chalk hill close out sale and then added some more since i was planting. have a couple not showing yet.

maybe i just enjoy spring planting more!

Appleton, WI

I will always enjoy spring planting more - it isn't much fun planting when it's snowing, but here were reasons beyond my control that lead me to planting at the last minute.

Delaware, OH

yes,something about putting them and getting that immediate gratification of "alive" , or being able to watch for a few weeks till you see that it is alive. the changes by day in the spring are so dramatic.......renewing and affirming for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.