Whats your trick to keeping Canna's looking good

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I haven't found a way to keep my canna's looking good thru out the summer
Rust , bugs etc.
What do you all do to keep yours looking good?
especially the rust problem , which is what most folks have to contend with.

Thanks
Sylvia

Thumbnail by GardenersCorner
Vandalia, IL

So far I havent had rust,,but I'd use a fungicide as soon as you see it,,every 2 weeks.. also I cut off any leaf Im not happy with,,Since I planted some,,they have had 1 week in the 30's,,lost most leaves,,several weeks later,,growth started,,then a storm and lots of hail,,nailed them..last week I trimed all of them...today they look great!! I threw gobs in the burn pile and they are growing,,,I cant kill the darn things..good luck! Dee

Starkville, MS

Who has a good suggestion for canna rollers?? My cannas come out of the ground with this problem. I do so hate to kill all the life in my soil (earth worms, etc.)-------but, I am desperate!

Shirleyd

Huntersville, NC

i probably got cannas that are somewhat resistant to many problems.

ALl I give mine is sun Sun and more SUN.
occasionally therw is some water and sprinkled fertilizer but the sun is about it.

but we do get our yard sprayed for insects - sorry they eat me alive - literally.

with out breaks of west nile virus - we do get the yard sprayed.
so maybe that takes care of some insect problems for me.

Baton Rouge, LA

I experienced a huge problem with leaf rollers last year. I sprayed them but also watched them and cut back anything that had the webs (with all debris bagged separately for the trash). I cut rather cautiously at first but soon realized they come back rather quickly so I started cutting more severely. I moved my entire canna planting this year cutting back anything that did not present well...in other words the whole "kit and kaboodle". They are gorgeous and blooming beautifully. I continually groom them in my early morning survey of the garden.....being sure to deadhead when blooms are spent so they will bloom again more quickly. I also cut back any leaves that have "spots" or discolorations. I water them with a "drip" system as I learned they are more prone to leaf roller if foilage is watered rather than watering just roots. They also get full sun and are in a spot where the air moves freely about them which also helps the foilage dry more quickly. This seems to be working well for a "fresh" appearance and profuse blooms.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I was able to get rid of leaf rollers with Bt. It's organic and kills ONLY caterpillars! Also, I feed my cannas with rose fertilizer and they really like it.

Starkville, MS

Thanks---I will try Bt

Shirleyd

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.