The What's Going Wrong Thread- Complain here

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, I can't take it any more. We're on our 5th inch of rain in about as many days, it seems. It's 48 degrees or less outside, but thankfully the furnace still runs so I don't need gloves to type. I don't have one dahlia in the ground yet. They are all hunkered down growing in pots in the garage, a greenhouse, or in the basement on heat mats waiting for the development of the miracle eye.

I work weekends. Every single past Saturday and Sunday has been sunny and warmer. This weekend, as the rain gauge fills on my days off, it is to be sunny and 70 with showers resuming on Monday. I will be lucky if our soil temp creeps to 70 degrees by the middle of August.

Usually, our merry month of May offers at least a smattering of nice days but this is a very bad start to Dahlias 09. What's going wrong in your neck of the woods? Or what's going right?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear that you are so wet, Annie.

Here in Oregon, we have had non-stop rain today and in the past few days some rain/showers but nothing like what you say.
I have all my dahlias in the ground. Sure hope we do get sunshine this weekend so I don't start to have rotting tubers.
I do have tubers with shoots coming up thru the soil too tho. Even 'Skywalker' which is an early one is up like 5-6" high. My dahlia tree has 4 shoots/stalks that are about 4 " high now.

Guess you will get to plant your tubers next week after the sun dries out your soil over the weekend. I hope they will survive tho. You will be planting very big tubers/pot size plants it sounds like. Yuck! That is much more work than a simple single tuber. So sorry to hear that!

But as far as the temps., it sure has been very cold here. The other day it got down to 38 degs. and even yesterday it was 42 degs. So it is way too cold for May!!!

So it is really time for the weather to shape up and get back to normal! I really am wondering what kind of summer we will have tho. Will be very, very interesting to see!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well from the East coast it wasn't any better...9 straight days of cold heavy rain. Mothers day it stopped and was only about 60 with very chilly wind. Monday wasn't bad but I sit for my granddaughters so not much gets done. Tuesday was cool and damp, Wednesday was bright and sunny high of 70 but had to get the mulch started, Rain today!! That thing we call work Friday and Saturday... Most of my Dahlias are getting leggy and aphids are approaching fast!

GRRR

Hopefully I will get mine in on Sunday!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

It's not warm enough here either but today was the first rain we have had in two weeks. Wind , oh we have had plenty of hard wind. It was down to 25 last night so have to wait just another week. The beds are ready and the greenhouse is full of pots and I'm saving my energy and my hands, can't wait to get started!

Sorry for your rainy weather Annie, it will be over soon and you will have to contend with sweat instead of rain drops. Good Luck

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

25 and windy isn't very gardener friendly at all, Willow. Hope it blows over soon and you'll be on your way. Can your hands handle weight or is it just moving them in general that causes grief? I sure hope you can find some relief someday.

Carol, I want to move to Oregon in the worst way! Shoots already? I finally dug up my DI so kindly provided by Willow last year but that got caught in the blizzard of 08 here. It still has good tubers, one rotting, but no signs of life. I haven't given up on it yet.

I'm just in from picking rocks where the trencher went through one bed last year. I think rocks reproduce here annually. Turtleneck, sweatshirt, fleece-lined denim jacket and I was still chilly the whole time. At 46 degrees and falling, it seems more like dahlia digging season than mid May. BUT BUT BUT: it's going to be 70 tomorrow. Whoo hoo. The skies have cleared after more rain almost all day and I have a group of dahlias huddled under a bench on the front deck covered with a towel, others in the garage. They're going in the ground this weekend even if it kills them, along with others that have been holed up in and out of the garage.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's good news Pooch. Hopefully your weather will hold. It's still going below freezing here every night :( I will dig my planting holes this weekend so the sun can help warm up the soil but I won't be planting out til June for sure this year sigh.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

What's going wrong? Well, I made a dumb decision I think. I told the landscapers working on my main bed I wanted some top soil like sand with compost. OK, good, they can do that. Then they tell me its 1/3 compost and 2/3 sand. I don't really know what's the best mix, and it sounded like too much compost. So I said just give me the regular stuff, no additives. And I'm digging it now and its waaay tooo much clay. Lots of water retention from the recent deluge. Getting soil is like getting married to it, only there's no divorce option! :) Have to amend it somehow next year.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Good analogy Tod: soil, like marriage, takes a lot of work. I have tons of clay here and it gets better the more you work it and amend it each year. You can make it work.

Today: blistering sunshine and a balmy 68 degrees. Out are the layers of fleece, in with the layers of mud on my feet. I got my first mosquito bite and I've never been happier to have been sleeveless to get one. Life in the garden is great today!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I got my first mosquito bite several weeks ago and it seems to have gone all downhill from there. I have had a few nice weekends when I am home to plant but then the weekdays/nights are horrible.

This last week was rain/wind/snow. Now I see the forcast for the weekend is 80 but the nights are still below freezing.

I've figured out the birdbath thing too. It's not a birdbath. I was mistaken. It's a tall watering dish for deer.They ate all my bee balm.

Fred & Ethel the therapy dahlias are still in the house in buckets.

Ginger

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beadmom, I have a few starts of monarda "Garden View Scarlet" coming up where I tried to pull it out a few years back. Blaze of moderate red, a hummingbird magnet and guaranteed to grow, like most monarda. I'd be happy to send you some rather than toss it. Dmail me if interested.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Yard%20and%20Garden/monardapatch.jpg

I had the best natural aeronautics show one day when two male hummingbirds tussled for the monarda nectar rights. Up in the air, round and round, up in the air again like little green cyclones til they'd each land in separate trees for a rest.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Snow.
Landed on my slightly sunburned neck.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Pooch, It's both with my hands.The nerves are shot to put it simply. At this point, it's heavy duty pain meds to be able to do what I do, but there are our people far worst than me so you just adjust and make the best of it.

I know this isn't a dahlia but I have to share this with you. This is the first time my wisteria has put on a show and it smells so good . Another reason to hang out in the gardenand if the wind is blowing right it fills my house with its beauty.

Thumbnail by willow22552
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

My heart goes out to you in upper west coast who are waiting with baited breath to get those dahlias in the ground! Although here in the Southeast we have had many bouts of hard rain and tornados that beat my foxglove to the ground, pummeled my roses to sparse petals and made the gallardia bend to it's knees.....my dahlias are thus far are up and at em with all this rain and semi shelter from the house overhang - most are about 18" tall - so knock on wood - their going to be a sight next month .... pray with me ladies LOL (oh and gents too)

D

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, I love this thread. I'm with grannymarsh - yesterday it was hot and sunny here and I sunburned the back of my neck and forearms whilst sitting on our concrete patio transplanting tomato plants into gallon containers.

Tonight, I moved all twenty tomato plants plus twenty flats of other plants into our garage because it's going to s*n*o*w tonight. Thanks for listening to my sniveling. Ü

Joanne

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow. Granny I think snow wins you the Spring "Misery" award, but Willow's hands come in high-ranking as pains in the neck too. You have a great attitude Nadine, and that always helps overcome obstacles. Your wonderously blooming wisteria would help overcome something too! That is quite a display and I imagine the scent is tantalizing.

rednyr- I'm not waiting anymore: have about 40 in and if I lose them, so be it. Sorry to hear about your pelting rains. We don't get those too long or often; more like a light-moderate rain for much of 8 months a year, with an occasional deluge or snowstorm thrown in for fun. At 18" tall I wonder if you are topping your dahlias yet for more branching?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh oh: a misery contender to the north: Grow Jo checking in with snow as well:( It won't last! That's the silver lining, I guess. ( I hope.) I've been moving boxes/bins of gallon planters in and out too. Good exercise, but so time-consuming. I'm sick enough of that now that I'm just putting the well rooted taller dahlias in ground and crossing fingers.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Willow,
My hometown is home to the world's largest Wistaria (spelling is correct) vine. It is amazing.

http://www.sierramadrenews.net/wistaria.htm

Ginger

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I have the opposite problem here. It has been HOT for the last few days, and the predicted high today is 100 degrees F. The automatic sprinkler system is not working - not sure why, but could not even get the manual setting to work - , so I have had to hand water the lawn a few days ago. I did not have any of those fancy oscillating systems (had no need for it for the past 20 years) so had to rig up a system with a hose with a nozzle propped up on a brick, held in place with the tines of a rack, and move that whole contraption every 10 minutes or so. Talk about time consuming.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We had warm weather at the end of April but since then we've had our share of rain so the dahlias are downstairs, under lights, on a heating cable, and happy to be there. I've certainly had my share of duds from those I saved last year but I've had some winners as well. Tonight our low should be 38 but our highs for the week will be in the high 70's so I'll just wait it out and plant them when we plant our tomatoes around the 27th of May.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BRRRRRRR it's snaining out today. Ditto for me todgor. I am also married to that deadbeat 'Clay'. I just keep adding poop and my homemade compost.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Pooch - no I've never pinched them back...but considering we are supposed to get to 43 tonight so they just might doit on their own

I confess to not know a whole lot about tending to Dahlias (or any plant for that matter) I just stumbled into gardening and have created a hodge podge of vibrant color that makes me smile around my 2 acres I call home :)~

So when you pinch Pooch, any special hints you care to share ?

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

"So when you pinch Pooch, any special hints you care to share ? "

There is something wrong with that.......hummmmmmmmmmmm.

Ginger

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh yesrednyr, I have special hints: when you pinch Pooch, you better have a rapid fight-or-flight reflex because I have 3.5 ft arms and biceps like a power lifter (not really- but I wish I did!:D)

43 won't hurt your dahlias. I really do recommend topping/pinching the lead growth of a taller dahlia. You get a much fuller, less lanky plant, and more flowers. Read about topping at www.dahlias.net "care and culture" the source of many good dahlia topics and loads of information. My only advice is don't hurt the little side growths, and do it in the early a.m. like they say. The top will snap right off when it is cool and well-hydrated.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Should I try pinching you Pooch when I see you this summer? ^_^ ok not, cuz I can't run very fast.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

You know Ginger, I did think twice about the way that sounded but thought..nah it's just me..now I see it's you too! LOL

Thanks for the advice - it was 45 this am when I got up at 6 so I was really happy with that - I did not lug my BOP's into the GH (they weigh so much whine whine) I need a dolly when I move them and was totally not in the mood last night after work to do that - so I asked my little angel to watch over them and blow her warm air on them - one of the BOP's is 5 this season and I really want to see it bloom!

I will top them off and read the thread you posted...thanks so much for your advice..

Deanna

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Dnut, you can try to pinch if your fingers still work in August, but I'll probably be so tired by then I won't be able to run either! We still have to firm up a day and time as your trip nears. So exciting to meet another DG'er in person!

Glad you didn't freeze Deanna. Is "BOP" Big Old Pot? I too would love to have one of those flat dollies as at Costco or Home Depot to haul pots in and out, but boxes or shallow sweater bins work well too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Moi aussi fatigue en Aeut ma amie ^_^. I am honing in on the day that I will be sailing by your doorstep dear Pooch. I'll dmail you. Ready or not here I come ^_^

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Pooch LOL no silly goose Bird of Paradise...but yes it is a big old pot too

dahlia- vous êtes seulement aussi vieux que votre esprit pense que vous êtes ( boy I hope I said that right otherwise I'm in trouble LOL)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Are you bad girls talking about pinching in French? LOL

BOP But, of course! I love those flowers. So unique. I was thinking dahlia as in "Bishop of P____" but couldn't fill in the blank with anything but big old pots :) Thunder, a rare and treasured event, is happening here but I hope to get a few dahlias in the ground yet tonight.

Pretty soon are those super long days of June when you can garden for hours in daylight!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yup we are dear Pooch ^_^ Seriously nope. If what I think rednyr is saying; it's very luvly. Mon francais is 50/50 renyr. Beadmomamie is truly bilingual and will know for sure. YOOOO HOOO beadmomamie.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Those long plastic toboggon sleds work really well to lug pots in and out. We get them cheap (50 cents) at garage sales and clearance sales. We use them to drag our plants around at MKT.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Well... The only thing I know how to say really well in French besides "The check please" and "I'd like a token for the shower please" and I can never say it with a straight face because the word for shower is La Douche...is...

Oh Le Vache! Quelque an merde sur ma terrace!!!!

and if anyone wants a translation Dmail me or I'll get bounced...It involves a cow, a porch and a bodily function.

Ginger

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Ginger - omg that is too funny...

I said you are only as old as your soul thinks it is....mine thinks I'm still 25....my body thinks otherwise LOL

I grew up in Upstate NY close to Montreal so I had friends who boated on our lake who lived Canada (BC and Montreal) so I would spend a few weeks with them and the rule was I had to speak french...but when they came to my home they had to speak english- trust me it was a riot...I learned to curse real well in French - it sounds so much prettier LOL

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

LOL..yes it does.

My favorite phrase around work (or everywhere else) is...

Oh Le Vache (holy cow)

Ginger

Lindenhurst, NY

Pooch -- how are you? I hope June is a better month for you. I miss being online with you guys I've been really busy with work. I got some of my tubers in the ground....waiting for time to plant them. Problem is I have to rake and weed the beds one by one as I'm getting ready to plant the tubers.....i have way too many garden beds. I can't wait for blooms. It's such a lovely time of year the next few months. Hope you and Mr. Pooch and family are all well.

p.s. No complaints -- oh wait.....not enough time to plant flowers and bulbs and tubers..

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi Maureen, our Grand Champeen! Glad you've got the new job to keep you busy. Things are hopping out here with a long stretch of sunny, warm days. Too warm. That's my complaint now :) It's hit 90 or near it here a couple days and will again today so I'm out to water my poor perennial bed before it completely withers. I hear you on the 'not enough time.' Why are there always ten things to do and only one of us to do them?

Pop in when you can.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I always feel spring is the time when there are 100 things at the top of the "to-do" list and find it frustrating.

Parkersburg, WV

one word HAIL!!!!!!

Two storms last night back to back, I am hopeful it is early enough that everything not just Dahlias, will make recovery.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O taj12 that is BIG bummer. I think It is early enough for things to bounce back.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sorry about the hail Taj. I don't know what is worse: hail, flooding, or tornado or frost, but they all are the bane of the spring gardener. I hope it missed the bulk of your plants and all of the dahlias :) It's 93 here and I can't even dream about shoveling in the sun. Going to break records for Seattle. Oh le vache!

Pirl, me too. At about the peak of busy-ness one year while mowing the lawn, looking around at all that needed doing, it occurred to me that we really needed another lawn tractor there was so much to mow, haul, dump and transport to and fro. Until I realized that I can only drive one at a time! DH helps when he can but time is limited and interests lie elsewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.