Clematis For Beginners

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

There is an excellent list of Clematis suitable for beginning clematis growers, like myself here:

http://www.clematisinternational.com/beglist01.html

It lists the cultivars most suitable for beginners.

Are there any varieties that experienced growers would NOT recommend for beginners?

I would like to know experienced grows most successful (easy) varieties, and least successful (hardest).

I am in zone 6, but other beginners in different zones may also be interested.

ClemGuru had already made some suggestions on the thread "Gotta Start somewhere" including polish Spirit, Paul Farges

BlissfulGarden Recommended Alba Luxurians

Pruning groups 1 and 3 seem to have more "easy to grow" varieties than group 2. i guess the large flowers are more "fussy"?

Delaware, OH

gardenquilts....amazing coincidinky...yesterday i just mailed a check to join the International Clematis Society. i have been a member of the American Clematis Society for a few years. you are right, there is an amazing amount of info on the international site. and of course the Clematis On The Web site is a great resource as well.

Easy and best to grow is probably different in each area. 3's are the easiest, usually. I usually tell folks to start by buying the clems available locally in their garden centers that are in a one gallon or larger pot. these should have some roots on them, and usually the garden centers only carry proven clems for their area.
once someone gets their feet wet with the local, gallon or larger clems and. does some reading, they can branch out into ordering a wider selection and taking advantage of the small bargain clems that will require a little more care and expertise to get off to a good start.

you are pretty close to where i live i think. if you are anywhere near here mid june, stop by to see the clems. we can have a cup of tea and some clem talk. there is a nursery a few miles around here with a decent selection of 12.99 gallon pot clems ,well rooted, and well worth the price.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I have to say I do very little to my clems, certainly less than some here, and I've had good results with:

Blue Light
Jackmanii
Niobe
Nelly Moser
General Sikorski
Candida

Planted these new ones this year, so we'll see how they do:

Comtesse de Bouchaud
Rouge Cardinal
Margaret Hunt
Durandii
Rooguchi

Delaware, OH

irwells, you will love margaret hunt. all of those are great clems, but margaret hunt is so special and a easy clem too. no wilt, no fussiness, no nothing but non stop vigor and beauty! here is mine from last year. and she is already up 4 or 5 feet of lush green vines this year.
not that many folks have margaret hunt, and i do not understand that. it is just a perfect clem. and the coloring....sublime.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

ClemGuru, I would love to meet you and see your clems. I am currently recovering from an auto accident and not able to drive, yet. I don't get around as much as I used to. Hopefully, I will be driving again soon. I am on the far western side of PA, near Route 80, just over the New Jersey border. I can still get to NYC via public transportation as needed but live in the country. Gardening and fiberarts have been very therapeutic for me.

Delaware, OH

i do no think we are that close form the sounds of it, however, if you are ever in the area, stop by! hope your recovery continues well. gardening is good therapy, but hard work too. here is clair de lune taken today.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

The BF helps with the heavy stuff, especially the rocks. I am able to do more than I used to, but nothing heavy. There are always plenty of weeds to deal with, planting, pruning, . that I can do when I have time to garden. Containers are also great, but need a plan for overwintering.

This year I started quite a few seeds. Next, I will try my hand at propagating roses.

Delaware, OH

weeds, especially "baby trees" are vexing me this year. i have taken to round up on gravel areas and placing inches of woodchips on other paths to try and smother them.
after we get all the maple, ash and elm baby tree weeks up the locust trees start sprouting. it takes me till end june to get all baby tree weeds under control.

Maples are such messy trees. I have a black locust tree nearby. I like the scent of the spring flowers, but could do without all the seed pods. I do a double take sometimes, thinking one is a snake. My biggest tree problem is a black walnut tree. The roots send out a chemical killing many kinds of plants. The squirrels "plant" the nuts everywhere.

Delaware, OH

well, when i am vexed by baby tree weed control, i will be grateful i do not have a black walnut tree!

I don't dare put the walnut leaves in compost! They say that the chemical can break down, but I don't take any chances. I am glad that I don't have maple trees, however. I get enough leaves from across the road. At least I am far enough away not to get the propeller seeds and seedlings.

One bright note on the black walnut trees. I traded some dried husks with a woman fiber artist in New Mexico for some beautiful hand dyed yarn. I tried dyeing some yarn and fabric with the husks myself. It yields a cool brown, but is especially nice for over-dying printed fabrics to get an "antique" look.

Starkville, MS

Where can I find a Margaret Hunt? I live in Mississippi in Zone 7b-----would that matter?

Thank you for the info,
Shirleyd

Delaware, OH

i got my margaret hunt about 4 years ago. the best place to get on e is silver star vinery, they ship a large root, which will jump start your clem and chances of success. it is one of the prettiest clems......and i have not had a white of trouble with it and it established pretty fast for me. hope you get one, it is a showstopper!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.