I can't resist those Siberian Iris

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I have a small order of three iris (one JI, one Spuria and one Sib) coming from Dee but since it has been too wet to dig she told me its not shipped yet.

So, I figgured that would be the perfect excuse to add to my order. I just have gone nuts over the Siberian Iris this year. I added 5 more Siberian Iris to my order from Dee, she problably doesn't even know it yet unless she is reading her e-mail right now.

Ordered now three Hollingworth intros-
BLUEBERRY FAIR
RUFFLES AND FLOURISHES
STRAWBERRY FAIR

And two intros by Bauer/Coble-
DOUBLE STANDARDS
JIGGLES

I know Bauer/Coble is Ensata but I am not familiar with Hollingworth intros. I just started picking a list of things I like and found I had picked some Hollingworth intros. So I choose the ones I liked the best, which included 3 Hollingworth and the two by Bauer/Coble.

I have been a busy bee planting the flats of annuals that I bought and really need to get inground and still have more to do. But I had better get myself organized and move the three daylilies that have to be relocated in order to put those Siberian Iris along in that section of garden. I never did like the daylilies there that much, I am sure that the Sibs will look much better.

I guess its time to confess. After I added to my order from Dee at Snowpeak Iris I also ordered 8 Siberian Iris from Ensata. There no hope for me, I am hopelessly hooked.

I knew that I needed to move some daylilies out of the area I intended to plant but by the time I started on it today and by the time I got the first of three moved, my mail was here and the Siberian Iris from Ensata had already arrived. So I just lifted the other two daylily clumps along with lots soil and put them in a plastic container in the shade to replant tomorrow.

Anyway, the nine I recieved today are all planted and I must say that I am very pleased with the section of garden in there. I never did really like those three daylilies in there, the Siberian Iris look right there to me, the daylilies did not. Now, I do not mean I do not like those daylilies, just did not like the location.

I am really pleased with the great plants I received. I ordered 8 and got a bonus plant too. This makes 44 Siberian Iris already planted and I have 6 more coming from Dee.

I bought some of their Bauer/Coble intros including the 2009 one-
CONCORD CRUSH (2009 intro)
KABOOM
KABLUEY
MAGNUM BORDEAUX
MOON DAZZLE (bonus gift plant)

Two Hollingworth-
SHALL WE DANCE
VEINS OF GOLD

And -
SURFIN SAFARI (MIller 04)
HOOKED AGAIN (Coopland 06)

My siberian Iris collection is coming along nicely :-))

This message was edited May 18, 2009 6:05 PM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

rita:

I hear ya as they are a new plant for me this year and I just can't get enough of them, I keep looking and looking and just can't make up my mind which ones, currently I only have 3 right now (just pick up one on Saturday) and I'm also drawn to the mini's..... just can't find the right place to get me a bunch of them.

All it took was one mini from a neighbor from last year to hook me.

Janet

Lebanon, OR

Well finally dried out enough Rita to dig the orders yesterday and today. So you have a notice that they are going out tomorrow...

Enjoy.

D

Two places shipping now that recommend are Dee from Snowpeak-

http://www.snowpeakiris.com/newweb/index.htm

And Ensata Gardens-

http://www.ensata.com/

Thank you Dee, I am very much looking forward to getting all my
new iris :-)) Especially to getting them all planted.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well this isn't a Siberian but on the way home today from going to the doctor. First check up since my sinus surgery a week ago, hubby stopped and one of my favorite garden center... very small but is packed with wonders and purchased this iris for me. Iris ensata variegata Rabbit Ear Iris.

I am so blessed to be married to this man.

He said it was my reward for what the doctor did to me today.... and I didn't even cry...LOL

Janet

Thumbnail by meadowyck

Good for you, looks like a keeper.

I was surprised to see both potted JI and Siberians at a nursery I was at today. Not a great selection but at least they had them, which most nurseries around here do not.

I am so excited. My goodies arrived from Dee (Snowpeak Iris) in this afternoons mail. I unpacked them and put them to soak.

I received two bonus Sibs Active Duty and Strawberry Social. Strawberry Social is another Shaffer/Sacks intro plus I had already ordered Worth the Wait from Dee, so I am really going to have quite the collection of this hybridizers intros. That makes 30 Shaffer/Sacks.

I got really nice plants with plenty of fans. I loved my bonus picks. I would recommend buying from Snowpeak for anyone thinking about it. Thanks, Dee :-)) I am deffinately going to order again but I have had enough for this spring.

Going to go out now and dig a big hole, mix up some alfalfa and composted manure and fill up the hole so I can plant my Spuria Iris that I got (Adriatic Blue).

I also got one JI Frilled Enchantment. Those are my "test" JI and Spuria.

I can tell you from pictures that I am very taken by the looks of the Supria Iris flowers. Very unusual color combinations.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

newyork-

What no pictures of your new arrivals....

I'm fed by pictures..... how about pics...LOL

Janet

Sorry, I did not think of taking pictures. My Japanese Iris and the Spuria Iris are already planted. The Sibs are sitiing soaking for planting tomorrow.

Lebanon, OR

Rita
Glad they arrived and that you are pleased with the order and the bonus...

D

I got my Siberian Iris planted and am really pleased with my planting results and the garden area I have fixed up.

I have an area that is very thickly mulched in a carpet of leaves in the front yard. Very cottage garden. On one side a nice grouping of roses and the other my two rows of thornless erect blackbery shrubs. In between is an area with some clematis on towers and some of the area has ground cover. I don't know what its called but it gets small blue flowers in the summer.

I planted the order I got from Ensata Gardens in there and today I planted the ones from Snowpeak Iris in there. So now the areas that had nothing around those towers have Siberian Iris in that section. I had to dig out some of those ground covers and just moved two big chunks over abit into the blackberries.

Now an area with not much going on is going to be smashing color come Sib bloom time each year. I needed something that would do well in the heavily muched bed and didn't need much fussing. The Sibs are perfect.

Here are some pictures of them after planting.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

These are the ones from Dee planted today.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

These are the ones on the other side of the tower from Ensata Gardens. Please note that these were purchased as doubles.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

Here it shows both sides.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita

And here is a picture of the first bloom of the year on a Siberian Iris I have had for afew years bought at Home Depot potted.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

now your talking newyork.......LOL

looks to be a great spot for them.

Janet

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Rita, when you purchased them as doubles from Ensata, did they divide them, and you planted two divisions together, or did they send them in larger single clumps of fans.?

They sent them in single clumps because I made a note that I wanted doubles to have more fans and was not going to be planting them separately. So they did what I asked for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.