I'm hooked

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

I am new to the midwest (moved from Florida) and have never grown iris before. I always admired there beauty in "cut flowers". I noticed a giant clump of these georgeous flowers in a neighbors yard last year after moving here. It was one of the first things I bought this growing season. I got 12 little fans from a nice little nursery and so far they seem happy. I got the first bloom to open today. I cant wait to add more next year.

Susan

Thumbnail by susanelliott
Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is the whole plant

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

I cant wait to see the whole clump in bloom

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful!!

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

How beautiful!!! Do you know the name of the iris? I love that it is such a brilliant purple/blue!!

Dana

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

wow ! stunning clump

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thank you. It's called Swingtown. The label had it pictured with a bit more red in the purple. I noticed the outer petal is more red and the throat has a cobalt blue comb. I am very happy.
Susan

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of the bloom backlit...the color looks warmer in this image. I have my camera on auto white balance and it may have compensated differently. They were planted with a lot of nice compost...I think it helped. I worried that it would be too acidic but I guess not.

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

My son thought I was a nut this morning when I was taking pictures of the first bloom as he got on the bus (11years old). I'm sure I am know as the Crazy Mom by everyone now

Wow - I am adding it to my want list!! ; )

Great job!!

Hehe!! I have two girls - 5 & 7 they try to get in the pic with the flowers!

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have an older son also, he is 14. They both run when I tell them to go stand next to the flowers.

my son and my two granddaughter years ago( abt 1998)
in the iris beds

Thumbnail by tazzy
Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

tazzy

those are the kinds of pictures that will last a life time! Wow, would you look at those iris!! Maybe one day I can have a patch that big.

Here is my oldest son with a tree peony I bought this Spring

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

At least you aren't known as 'crazy flower lady' LOL! Your iris is gorgeous and now I need to find that one too. See how addicting iris are!
Cute kiddo with the peony! :)

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, he's a good egg...I'll keep him ;-)

My grandkids call me Grandma Flowers.
it stuck as they got older ,
and i got a call from school
Mrs Flowers ? your grandaughter is sick and needs a ride home

LOL!! TO CUTE!!!

South Hamilton, MA

Congratulations in catching the iris virus. I caught it from a childhood neighbor & DH from his grandmother.

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

Mrs. Flowers is too funny...I guess you are what your are. I had the fortune of growing up around green thumbs. It rubbed off from an early age. I used to have Japanese Iris in Florida, along with a beautiful patch of Walking Iris. I was always jealous of those northern folks that could grow the big pretty ones and now I'm one of them. Who knew?

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

I drove down a dead end street and saw a clump of the same iris and the fans themselves must have been thigh high. There bloom heads were also larger...wow!! Things to look forward to. Here is a pic of my newbie clump in bloom

Olivette, MO(Zone 6a)

The super heavy winds tilted the little guys a bit so I staked the plants with chopsticks...no Chinese for a while ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.