Red Iris?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Is there a thread somewhere discussing red iris. I would like something large ruffled and RED.
Several I ordered turned out to be purple, not really red. I do have lady friend, and that is closest I have.

Lebanon, OR

There are NO red bearded iris yet, someday. Many are listed as red and they are burgundy or purple with red hinting thru...but if you mean like a geranium red...I would be first in line even at 100.00 each

D

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Although there may not be a "true" red some are very close.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911491/

Lebanon, OR

yes, getting close but to me when you say RED that the iris are trying for it is the color of the red geraninum they are trying for.

D

well yes geranium red would be nice!
but even at $100 or whatever, I am afraid it would be a LONG time before "I" would acquire one at that price :0

South Hamilton, MA

Lady Friend is certainly bright enough. The now historic TB Spartan was very popular here, sold out at our sale last yr. It has good form for the time also.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Spliting hairs, when you say "Blue" do you think of the blue of Eleanor's Pride or of Breakers or do all "Blues" have a undertone of purple too? Other than Yellows, Whites and Purple is there a pure color? Pink hmm no probably has white undertones, Orange hmm no probably has yellow undertones, Black hmm no probably has purple undertones. To me the blend of the color makes the flower to have one "pure" red or blue or etc. would just be a bore and would not hold my interest nor stay in my garden long.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The true red iris was discussed last fall, as I recall. Supposedly, there is no red carrying
gene in the bearded iris. A lot of big time effort to create a true red bearded is in progress.

Lebanon, OR

Millons spent to date..

Gene Slicing

When one comes on the market image it will end up being patented and high priced but if not infertile image all that could be done with it.

D

I have lady friend. From a distance it appears red er than anything else I have. But I don't really have alot that would be red. I have picante but I think it is purple.

Gainesville, TX

sooooo, show your favorite"red"

Clearfire

Thumbnail by sharondippity
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Some of the pictures I see at the various vendors look red to me. Not chinese lacquor red, but a nice deep red. The one I ordered is RIO ROJO, so we will see how real red that turns out to be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.