Black Spots on Basil Leaves

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I started these seeds indoors with lots of other plants. These are the only ones that are showing this problem. Coco coir with a few pellets of controlled-release fertilizer.

I have no idea what's causing this. Any guesses? Does it look like a disease that will spread to other plants (get rid of the basillings) or some sort of nutrient/environmental issue (stick 'em in the garden and see if they recover)?

Thumbnail by dividedsky
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Cold damage? If it is warm enough in your zone, I would plant them outside. I've never had any luck with the coco coir...so don't know if that could be the problem.

Basil likes it warm and sunny.

That looks like an older leaf; I would remove it. I don't think it's anything that will spread to other plants.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the response. As they'd been inside, I figured it was something seed borne and threw them away. Accept for one that I'd planted out, which looks fine. So you're probably right. The seeds were cheap, though, so no real harm. I did see the same sort of spots on the transplants at Lowes. Not sure what that means.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.