Suitable for a wall?

Hitchin, United Kingdom

Lurking behind some newly sprouting overwintered pots of various forms of Salvia patens, the somewhat leggy Salvia × jamensis 'Red Velvet' is suitable to train against a wall if you are short of space.

This plant has come through our 'more-severe-than-usual' winter in the UK without losing many leaves in this south facing aspect. The plant is shaded from the sun by my house throughout the winter months but does have a microclimate that avoids the severity of any frosts. Also, the planting space is only some 6" and the roots will have no doubt extended under the block paving drive where they will be protected from excess moisture. The plant has been in this spot for some 3 years now.

I wonder what else would suit this spot? Any ideas?

Jim

Thumbnail by jimcrick
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Interesting treatment of the Red Velvet. This is what mine is looking like right now...it looks full, but has flopped to the front, bit of bare legs hiding in the rear.

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Taken today...Rich's Navaho Rose, color may be a bit off due to the sunlight:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Rich's Navaho Red:

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

s. micro 'Caviar'

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

From seed of Rosita

Thumbnail by wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh! Sorry jimcrick...these are totally unrelated to your trellis idea. I was in a hurry to get back outside and forgot where I was posting......

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

jimcrick,
You might try S. petiolaris/scutellarioides aka "Columbia Ivy Sage" that spreads or can go up a trellis. I have it in a large basket and training on a trellis. Doesn't get very big, big soft furry leaves more rounded. I bet it would work but don't know if your growing season would be long enough unless you started in a greenhouse then put outside ? I'll post a pic when it blooms.

Candor, NC

I recommend a go at Salvia cacalifolia, which can grow over other shrubbery so fast it has the aspect of a vine. You would have to train the shoots through the holes in the fence. It is hardy in USDA zone 7.

Candor, NC

Other sages that might work are Salvia littae, S. holwayi, the cardinalis form of S. fulgens, and S. disjuncta (Logee form).

London, United Kingdom

Or if you are very brave.....you could try Salvia dombeyi. But, as you know, spider-mite adores this plant, so the possible lack of air circulation might cause a problem.

As for previous comments....cacaliifolia is indeed a possibility.

Would not recommend scutellarioides as it is often reluctant to flower in the UK. Also, disjuncta and littae are winter-flowering. You could try curviflora, but this can get bushy, but with pruning and training, it just might work.

Hope to see your garden this summer..........Robin.

Hitchin, United Kingdom

I have no experience with S. scutellarioides but understand it is rather rampant similar to S. procurrens which I have grown. The pic of 'scute' in Christian Froissart's book looks very floriferous but Robin Middleton's site reckons it is rather shy to flower in the UK. I shall investigate further.

Thanks for the suggestion mjsponies.

Jim

Hitchin, United Kingdom

Salvia cacaliifolia is an interesting suggestion. It is one one of my (many) favourite Salvias and one which I have enjoyed over many years. Surprisingly I have not tried in the vertical mode - this year I shall so do.

S. fulgens (cardinalis) I have grown in places where tying it up against a fence has been utilised just to stop it flopping. I would imagine it would look rather good growing up a trellice open on both sides rather than against a wall

Thanks for the suggestions Rich.

Blimey Robin! You know how spider mites love me! I would indeed be brave to try S. dombeyi. But then it is such a beautiful plant so Why Not!

Jim

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

My holwayi grows in part shade, climbing bamboo screening, spreading nicely....

Keaau, HI

I had S. holwayi climb up a chain link fence....it was always in flower. It was very vigorous. We even made jokes about it ..."That plant....oh that is Salvia how-will-I get it off of my fence". Like I said it was more than vigorous.

Andy

Hitchin, United Kingdom

An update on the original pic of 'Red Velvet' - now 14 days later.

We have had quite a bit of wind recently and 'Red Velvet' in the open garden has suffered from shoots breaking off where they join old wood. In comparison this wall plant is virtually unscathed.

Jim

Thumbnail by jimcrick
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I had some seeds of this and started them just because of this thread....plan to put them on a fence line and let them have at it....hopefully w/ as good results.

London, United Kingdom

You could also try Salvia retinervia and Salvia haenkei. Both quite leggy and summer-flowering. Retinervia best in a pot as it is not hardy, and extremely difficult ro root cuttings.

Looks like the wind is returning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.