danacordes Bloomfield Hills, MI, Welcome to DG.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello, and welcome to the best garden site there is. This is the Michigan forum...Part of it..Lots of members here..Hope you will visit us often and share...What do you grow? Show us your wares...hehehe There are many things IN DG...from soup to nuts...hehe and more in between...Happy you found us...Hope you will come and meet your neighbors here...Join in...ask questions..someone will help you out...Big place for sure...I have been here for many years and discovering...every day...Happy day now...smiles......waving...Diana...

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
Lachine, MI

Welcome! Welcome!
Sandy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Good evening..and welcome!! Birdie

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome! I added you to our map. http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/370290

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome Dana....^_^

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden. There are all kinds of people here and all kinds of forums. You are sure to find plenty to keep you interested.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

good morning and welcome I think you will like it here
Gloria

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Welcome. Let us know about your gardens. Maybe some pictures?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome. We're happy to have you join in. Tell us about your garden.

Brenda

Bloomfield Hills, MI

Wow, I didn't realize all of you came here to say hello (I didn't check my messages - didn't even know about msgs). This is fabulous, how nice! Unlike most chat boards I've been too that just seem really foreign and impersonal. Thanks guys.

Well, I don't have any recent photos to share, but I'll post what my yard looked like when we bought our house and I'm trying to landscape it, and I'm torn between mid century modern, which is the style of the house, Japanese, and something more natural and wild looking, which is the way it is currently leaning.

In addition, I've put in a lasagna veg garden in the back, 5 rows, each 4 feet wide by 20 feet long, bordered by cement block (looks like cinder block, weighs over 10,000 lbs!). I just finished planting my veggies last weekend - I know I started so late, but the whole gardening bug caught me off guard mid May and I've been scurrying ever since. We built the raised bed, lasagna veg garden, cleaned out a load of buck thorn (insidious stuff!) from the flower bed. We installed a sprinkler system, just for watering the garden areas. We planted 5 flats of impatiens and roughly 4 flats of veggies of varying sizes. Next year I'd like to start all of my veggies from seed and I'd like to do some perrenial planting this summer/fall for next year (or whenever it's appropriate). Anyway, those are some of my thoughts for now. I just don't know what direction I'm going as far as design yet or hardscaping, so that's been my biggest drawback.

I've also been flirting with the idea of replacing the lawn grass with perennial low growing ground cover. I know, weird thought, but we're rather unconventional people. Check out stepables.com if you're wondering what I'm talking about. In addion, we have an indoor attrium with an area to plant that is about 20 x 8 and 12 x 6 with small pond, and I STILL haven't figured out what to put in there!

I'm kinda indesicive too.

Welcome to Dana.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 3:46 PM

Bloomfield Hills, MI

Hey, I forgot the pictures...

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Front entrance

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Back patio, flower garden area to the left that we weeded out and planted hot pink impatiens. My husband loves them, I'm not so keen.

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Small area of the interior atrium

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Other larger side of the interior atrium.

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Wisteria pergola on the back patio.

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Other wild flower bed opposite the impatiens bed on the back patio. Undecided what to do with this bed. From inside the house, it almost looks like a continuation of the atrium, so I'm inclined to carry the theme outside - execept I don't yet have a theme for the inside either.... hmm...

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

And then just beyond my current impatiens garden, in the middle of the backyard lawn, there is what we call the swamp. And it's even more overgrown now than it was back then.

Thumbnail by danacordes
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Well, that's pretty much it. I'm just having such a hard time landscaping. I have all these ideas, but nothing to implement...

I'm so good at decorating inside the house. I have such a clear vision of what I want and how to implement it - I just don't understand. Maybe it's because no one says, oh that couch needs more sunlight than you have their, and oh I'm sorry you can't use this paint color in your zone, or the best yet - yes, you can have both this couch and this paint, but the paint will peel and the couch stuffing will collapse if you put them too close together, but we can't tell you how close is too close.
I think I just have a fear of failure and no experience.

Maybe later I'll post some pictures from my idea file.... oh, the idea file - that's so much fun!!!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I enjoyed the photos. Thanks for showing us your home and gardens.

One thing I'd suggest is to take your time and plan. Do one bed at a time. Heck, do one bed a year. Don't rush and buy a bunch of plants and just throw them here and there. Drive around and visit other neighborhoods. If you see something you like jot it down. Watch gardening programs for ideas. I love the atrium.

One thing about gardening is if you don't like it you can always change it. :)

Plant the things you love...........either color, form or scent or all three. Your garden should be a reflection of who you are and your tastes. Plant memories ...........Is there a favorite tree, shrub, perennial or annual from your childhood that makes you smile? Find a spot for that special plant.

Good luck. There is no shortage of forums here with all kinds of things to explore.

Brenda

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome! I added you to our map.
http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/370290

Bloomfield Hills, MI

Brenda,

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm so excited I want to just jump in head first. But you're right, I should take my time because I want to really like what I've done and not be constantly pulling out last year's idea. Thanks for the compliments and validation.

PJ,

Thanks for putting me on the map. Maybe some day there will be more gardners in my area. :)

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to our group Dana......will look forward to hearing the progress of your gardens.....

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome to the site
great pics

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I love your pics too and the Japanese Garden theme seems to fit right in with the serene look and lay of your 'oasis'.
It looks private and peaceful and green.
Beautiful.
I can't wait to see what you do!!
Good luck and Welcome to our Michigan group.
We can share out common weather and zone hits and misses!!
Julie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome and have fun reading and gardening. Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.