Trash Can Potato Gardening

Thomson, GA

I just got my weekly Old Farmer's Almanac newsletter, and they showed the coolest little video about growing taters in a 30 gal trash can. Since we filled our raised garden with tomatoes, corn, peppers and beans this year, we felt we had to forego potatoes this year. Has anyone tried this method, and if so, were you happy with the results? I can always find room for yet another container.

http://www.almanac.com/garden/video/trash-can-potatoes?utm_source=Almanac+Companion+Newsletter&utm_campaign=7497c218f4-Companion_May_12_2009&utm_medium=email

Carson City, NV(Zone 6a)

I haven't used a trash can (yet). I saw a gardening show in Ireland that recommended it. They said to use chicken manure for fertilizer. I've grown potatos in half barrels for years since the yard is taken up with flowers. The biggest problem here is keeping the soil moist. I get great potatos, much better than store bought. Not the biggest yield, though. This year I'm trying grow bags. I recommend trying potatos.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying potatoes for the first time using smart-pots. They are actually growing. I had to check yesterday (impatient). I got 2 15 gal potato pots from gardners.com with free shipping.

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

this is my first attempt at potatoes and they appear to be growing very well

Thumbnail by fremar
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I tried some in big soil bags (filled with a little soil and then leaves piled on top) but I only got one little potato before things rotted. I overwatered and/or didn't have enough drainage and/or the problem could be that I used pieces of grocery store potato.

I would like to try again and fix all those mistakes. I'm guessing it's too late to start now in zone 8b, but maybe okay for a fall garden? And, where do folks like to buy their potato sets? I never saw any in the big box stores here.
LiseP

Comer, GA(Zone 7b)

Lise I buy my potatoes from a local harware/farm supplythey usually come in in early spring haven't tried them in the fall yet, gonna remedy that in Sept.
my taters and some carrots in plastic barrels.

Thumbnail by fremar
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, I'll check around. Your plastic barrels look very successful! LiseP

Hallowell, ME

I grew a crop of potatoes in 6 10-gal paint buckets. Ended up with 10 lbs from 6 potatoes. Whatever you used for a container just keep filling with soil as the plants grow. Those paint bucket are easy to move and I sat mine on some wood platforms I made.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I have never before grown potatoes but I was hoping to grow them in containers this year since my raise beds are all full with veggies. It rains a lot here in mobile so my question is what mix would you place in the conainer so there is a lot of good drainage, also what do you recomend as a container for growing potatoes with good drainage? I have heard of some people just placing straw and growing the potatoes just with straw would this be good enough?

Cave Creek, AZ

Mary,
The trash can video was super!!!!! I even have a few bins from my attempt at worm farming. The city sells broken garbage cans (plastic) rather cheap. I may have to go get some more too. The only think wrong with mine was that the lids may have been a little broken that is no problem because I don't even want the lids to grow potatoes.
This way I will really be able to control the soil I plant the potato seedlings in. Has anyone used horse manure for growing anything in?
I'm so excited about the trash can method. I'm sure all the critters around our house won't be able to get in to the cans either and eat my crop before I even get to see it.
Anyone want a truck load of rocks? (Mary???)
Mickey

Cave Creek, AZ

I'm sorry I credited the wrong person with the link to growing potatoes in the 30 gallon trash cans.
Mickey

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I tried this method last year - I found that I did not have enough drainage holes in the bottom and with a lot of extra rain, my plants litterally rotted before they had time to form potatoes, I think I got 3 small potatoes out of about 10 plants. I may try it again, but will add a lot more drainage holes and rocks in the bottom - best to put screen or some sort of cloth over the rocks to prevent the soil from clogging the bottom.

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm going to try it this year since I lost my garden plot with the move to Texas. I'll let everyone how well it turns out.

San Angelo, TX

Is this method successful for sweet potatoes? I keep seeing conflicting answers.

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I did sweet potatoes in a square bin last year and i did get some. The problem that I had was that the bin was to squat so they didn't have enough room to get big. I'm going to do a garbage can with the sweet potates this year too. Tina

San Angelo, TX

Did you start the sweet potatoes at the bottom and fill the bin up, as described for regular potatoes?

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

No I planted them at the top like ornamental sweet potatoes. That where I got the idea from cuz my ornamentals produced a couple of potatoes. I didn't eat those tho cuz KatG said that they didn't taste very good.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know when is the best time to plant potatoes?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

In my area the farmers almanac says the 2 week of February, I would imagine you can plant earlier in your area, perhaps even now but don't quote me on that.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you for the answer. I am in zone 9 so my guess is you are right. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend. Its still in the 40s here and wet. Do I put them in full sun, it gets really hot here?

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Acording about all I've been reading about potatoes yes they do need full sun to grow, it does get very hot and humid here as well but I am going to experiment and just place them in a full suny spot, hopefuly when the scorching heat of the summer comes the potatoes will be ready for harvest. This is my first year growing potatoes so maybe I am not the best to answer your question. Now another thing I read is to place them in nice loose soil, I am planing to mix my soil with straw and also peat moss since they like it slightly acidic pH of 5.8-6.5. also potatoes will not grow until the soil temperature has reached 45 degree F. Hope this helps.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, I was planning on using potting mix, like miracle grow. The temp here is reaching 50-60 during the day so I should be okay to plant now.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

linda yes you should be O.K, I wish I could say the same, we had a couple of nice days but now is back to the 30's, this weather just does not want to cooperate.

Hallowell, ME

I grew up in Arkansas and my dad always planted potatoes the last week in February. Whatever container you use make sure you have plenty of drainage. If you want big potatoes I'd go with the garbage cans. My 10 gal cans produced small to medium sizes.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Frank - I've been watching this thread with the intention of growing potatoes in a garbage can this year. Where did you live in AR? And how did you end up way up there in Maine? We love to vacation there.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Small world. I grew up in Mena, Arkansas. Lots of my family still live in Arkansas and La
I love the south.

Hallowell, ME

I'm a 20 year Navy vet. Was stationed in Brunswick and married a girl from Freeport. Decided to retire up here and don't regret it. I lived in Little Rock/North Little Rock until I was 15, My dad retired and we moved up in the Ozarks to Salem area. Joined the Navy in 63 and the rest is history. STill have a sister in Hot Springs and many friends in NLR and Salem. My dad was an avid gardner (vegetables only).

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank ypou Frank for the advice, I bought a smart pot, suposedly 20 gal one, and then a wince barrell as well to grow the potatoes on, it does rain here quite a lot so I have to make sure that the pot drains well and that the medium is light and fluffy, I am thinking of mixing some straw with soil and also peat moss since I've heard that they like it a little acidic. Can't wait to plant them, but it is a little too chilly still so I really have to wait until temps melow down a little.

By the way I was up in Brunswick Maine with my parents when I was in High school, I absolutely loved it, specially the lobters. Are they still a good price up there, the lobsters I mean?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

It is a small world! I was born/raised in Little Rock and live just west of the city limits in Ferndale now.

When we visited Maine we stayed in Camden and made day trips from there. Loved Monhegan Island. And the lobsters!

I'm scouting cans and barrels for potatoes now so I'll be ready to plant when the time is right. Will probably try sweet potatoes - love 'em! It must have been another thread, but someone demonstrated how to use a basket turned upside down on the bottom (plastic colanders work well) of the can/bucket to help with drainage.

Hallowell, ME

Just remember carminator that you have to keep adding dirt as the plant grows tall otherwise you'll get very little or nothing. Lobsters are still good but going up in price. The Feds have placed to many restrictions on the fishermen now so they'll be less lobster up here. Shrimp is cheap and 99 cents a pound.
As for fluersdefouquet I have a nephew in Bryant. My dad used to take me fishing in Maumille and I've camped and climbed Pinnacle Mnt so I am familiar with your area (at least I was). Everything has changed so much it's hard for me to find familiar places. I used to live 3 miles outside the city on 12th st pike which is now well inside the limits but the old place is still inhabited.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

12th Street Pike is also known as Kanis Road - and I live 8 miles outside the (current) city limits off of Kanis Road! My daughter lives in Benton. My brother used to live in Maumelle. My husband hikes Pinnacle. It gets smaller every day!

Hallowell, ME

My parents used to rent a house from the Kanises back in the 30's. Kanis lived in the house on the right at the top of the hill just after you crossed Rock Creek. You have sure brought back a lot of memories.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Hope they are good ones. :)

Florence, SC

I have grown my potatoes in half wine casks for years. The last two years have been less productive because of me - I think. Don't completely cover the growth with the dirt - I think that was one of my problems last year. Cover about 2/3 of the plants. I used trashcans to grow tomatoes, but not potatoes. I may try that this year. I did use half a 4 x 8 box (about 18" high) last yea, but it was too shallow for my potatoes, plus I had some problem that gave me skins but no meat in the potatoes. Someone suggested it might have been slugs, though I did not see any. I will not give up and will be planting some more soon! M

Hallowell, ME

Skywatch, I think you might try rotating your crops. Strange things happen when you grow the same crop in the same place year after year.

Florence, SC

Frank65,

Thanks, I am planning to do a lot of rotating in my garden this tear. (All I have to do is remember what was where last year). Seriously, I am using straw for the potatoes this year and will be doing a lot of other changes (adding more bags, I hope). I am even thinking of adding another box - if I can find a place for it. Last year, the potatoes in the 4 x 8 box were the first ones planted there and I got just skins. I think I am going to plant more beans than usual this year in the boxes. Thanks again! M

Hallowell, ME

Hey Skywatch - go for it. I use beans and peas in my rotations and this year I'm planning on planting clover between my raised beds (or at least clover/grass mix). Also I draw a plan of my garden and keep them so I can remember what I planted where. I've also had luck with boxes I made 12"x12" by 16" tall for tomatoes and peppers. Let me know how you do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.