Giant dioon cycad

Myrtle Beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I just got a new palm/cycad (again) (my obsession) and its new to me so if you can help me on anything or everything about him id really apreciate it :)it's a giant dioon palm ,and it says hardy to zone 8b, is it true? how fast do they grow? how tall?,do they like to be rootbound? thank you:)

Thumbnail by ArchAngeL01
Keaau, HI

The largest Dioon species is Dioon spinulosum. It's oldest wild plants get to about 50 ft./ 15 m. Cultivated plants get as tall as 25 ft./ 8 m.

Dioon species are from Mexico and Central America.

What species do you have.

i have dioon spinulosum:)

Keaau, HI

Dioon spinulosum does not do well in temperature below 55 degrees F / 13 degrees C. Use as large as a pot as possible. Grow it in hummus rich well drained soil which is neutral to slightly alkaline. It prefers to be in partial shade with high humidity.

it is rootbound.................should i repot him?

heres a pic

Thumbnail by ArchAngeL01
Keaau, HI

Yes ArchAngel, if it stays rootbound it will cripple the growth.

The plant looks good!

okie!!

Sarasota, FL

ArchAngel, I have 3 dioons that have been in the low 30's on many occassions with no damage or brown whatsoever. One is huge and had a huge female cone last year. I don't know what zone it's hardy to, but I would ask in the palm forum or Florida forum. I know some cycads are hardy to 8b. They do like partial shade/filtered sun and their most important requirement is good drainage. Other than that, an extremely easy plant and beautiful year-round. Yours looks great.

Keaau, HI

Dioon spinulosum needs sustained temperature of 55 degrees F or higher. It may live through some low temperature periods, but will not survive too long in them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.