This isn't an Apple Tree - is it?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I bought 3 seedling apple trees on eBay three years ago and planted them in my neighbor's yard. There are two of this tree - It is obviously not an apple - anyone know what it is? I am going to post the other tree - maybe it is an apple.

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat

Any chance this is an apple tree?

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
North Augusta, ON

1st one...nope
2nd one...maybe, looks more like my mock orange though...

Teaches me not to buy plants on eBay!

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

You most likely would not have the receipt or invoice, but if you can remember the seller, you may be able to get them to look at the picture and identify it as something else that was sold at that time. Sometimes I tag some of the sellers as favorite if I especially like the items and service or buy from them often. I would be curious as to what kind of fruit would be growing from that tree, if any at all. I find some dates and things because I keep a sort of sometimes journal. It is pretty, it looks like something that I would have as an ornamental tree/bush. Is there any fragrance?. Hope that this gives you an idea.

Getting the seller to ID the tree is a great idea! Thanks.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

2nd one does look like one to me.

That is good news. The tree is V shaped with two strong "trunks" Maybe I can try my hand at grafting eventually and get some apples after all. Hey Victor - I have baby hellebores! Guess that seed I sent you was viable afterall. I have tons of babies and I will start potting them for the RU.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for mine.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

I got out my Audubon Field Guide to Trees, Eastern Version- the first one is definitely some sort of cherry (or maybe a plum). Not an apple. Do an image search on choke cherry- or Allegheny plum. Close examination of the leaves will probably be the best identifying factor, moreso than the blooms, which are similar.

The second looks a bit like a Hackberry. But it's hard to tell without a bloom or a close up of the leaf. Maybe an apple. If it's an apple, the underside will be fuzzy.

See if your library has the Field guide. It'll be easier to identify with the leaf in one hand & the book in another! (LOL.)

I'm going to call it a choke cherry because I can't find a good picture of an allegheny plum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.