Another heuchera ID please?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought this several years ago, before I started using markers. Can someone ID it, please?

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Possibly 'green spice' (I don't have that one, but it looks like the pictures I've seen).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32374/

It looks an awful lot like that one to me too, except I don't think mine ever have that white in the leaves. Maybe I should wait - it's getting ready to flower - and that might give more clues. I checked out green spice on several websites, and its flowers are supposed to be cream colored. I thought I remembered pinkish or red, but I could be wrong. I think they're fairly minimal flowers, in any case. Thanks for your guess! Green spice was the closest one I could find to it when I was hunting.

Athens, PA

I also have one that is very similar to this and actually looks like this now. However, the flowers are a medium pink and this is an old heuch. It was originally purchased many years ago by my husbands' grandmother. I had always assumed it was some type of Bressingham, until I saw the red veining in the leaves. The way it looks now, it does remind me of Green Spice, however in checking the photos on the plant files, mine does not get the redish blush that seems to be in the leaves.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Maybe Peppermint Spice?

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/popups/images/heups.jpg

Athens, PA

Sharon - I did not mean to hijack your thread - it is just that your heuch looks so much like mine with the exception of the bloom color.

Goldfinch - mine looks just like that, only Peppermint Spice appears to be a newer introduction. I have had mine all of 10 years, so I question if it is PS.

Sharon - let us know the bloom color when they open.

It could be Peppermint Spice. Thanks Goldfinch.

Carolyn, whatever made you think that you hijacked my thread? I thought we were still on the same subject!

I'll take a picture of the blooms when they open. Should be any day now, but I remember them as being scant - i.e. negligible, which is probably why I don't remember them. Peppermint Spice seems to have a little bit more than scant blooms, if you know what I mean, but we'll see. It would be nice to get this solved.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of my Green Spice. It just took on this pinkish hue this year with the new leaves. You can see the color it was last year with the older leaves on the bottom right. Last year it was green and white.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

That's really lovely, staceysmom - both the old leaves and the new. Love that green border too. I don't think that's what I have, but it's going on my want list.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Your Green Spice is looking nice! I'll have to go check on mine this weekend.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I am surprised how well it is doing this year too since we had such a brutal winter. Perenniallyme, I'm thinking what you have is 'Peppermint Spice' too.

Athens, PA

Staceysmom -

I really like your Green Spice too. It is really very striking with the coloration. Heucheras are my new addiction - I'll have to make sure I pick up one of these.

I'm still waiting for the flowers to open. They're taking their good ol' time.

My flowers are still taking their time opening, but they look neglible, with negligible color as well, so I'm thinking it's probably not "peppermint spice". Will try to update with pic soon. It's raining now.

Hi again. Finally the "flowers" if you could call them that, are open. Really just the pale green base with a few stamens sticking out. I tried taking a photo, but they were blowing in the wind, but here it is anyway - sideways I think.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

How big are the leaves? If they're on the large side, it might be Eco-magnififolia. Mine have a little bit more silver on the leaves, but I think the flowers are similar. Kind of rangy plants. I'll take a picture when I get a chance.

I'll have a look tomorrow to compare the size of the leaves to my other heucheras - and will wait for your pic - Thanks, Peg.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

perenniallyme, definitely not 'Peppermint Spice' with those flowers. I'd guess 'Green Spice' also. I've got it planted in several locations and the foliage looks different in every area! I always cut the flowers off of GS because I don't like them, but the pretty pink flowers of PS stay :)

Carolyn, maybe your NOID is Heuchera 'Mint Spice'? It's an old one from about 10 years ago and looks very similar to 'Green Spice' but no "reddish blush". It's been so long since I had it in the gardens and I can't remember what color the flowers were. Wish I could check the flower color for you but it's another one that disappeared after a few years in the gardens :( PF says "red" flowers http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32400/ but I definitely don't remember them being red!

Athens, PA

RCN48

I am going to have to take a picture and post. The flowers are a medium pink and it seems the red blush is mostly in the spring time.

Thanks rcn. Yes this one is definitely not bred for the flowers. No wonder I didn't remember them! I may go cut the flowers off too. Then maybe they'll put more energy into multiplying faster.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I vote is it's Green Spice too. Looks like the same flowers as mine. My Green Spice and Eco Magnififolia have the same type of flowers that look identical to perenniallyme's, blah... I don't really even think of them as flowers - just stems with little ball thingies on them. But, I do love the foliage on these two heuchs which is why I wanted them.

Thanks, medinac. I am noticing that it now has more of the green border that I didn't think it had, though it's more subtle than staceysmom's picture.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Throwing in my vote for Green Spice...looks just like mine and I am also surprised there is no excitement from the flowers at all either. At least we are all on the same page!

Thanks RatherB. I can't imagine that anyone would get excited about those flowers.

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry - at long last, here's one of eco magnififolia. It's very similar to green spice (I think green spice was at one time called 'eco improved. Peg

Thumbnail by StPaulPeg

Thanks Peg. It does look pretty much identical, doesn't it? Maybe I'll never know for sure which I have.

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

"Green Spice" flowers are supposed to be pink. If they're a generic white/cream, I would suggest you take a look at "Dale's Strain" pics for a comparison. Dale's is a medium-sized heuchera, which your picture suggests you have, rather than one of the big-leaf ones.

joanic, I just did a search and everywhere I found said Green Spice flowers were greenish or cream, and inconspicuous. I bought Dale's Strain this year, and it's definitely not that. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.