Just starting with Irises and need advice please...

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

Well long story short my family and I just relocated from Florida back to our home town in Lancaster, Ohio.. There are Irises everwhere and our new home has no plants anywhere and I want color and spring beauty.. I love the Irises everwhere in town and need advice on everything pertaining to Irises.. Im at the library and going to search for a few books but thought who would know better than everyone here on DG..

Will check in as I can but please give me advice I think Im addicted and I dont even have one growing yet.. lol

Thanks
Donna

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Donna,

If it's 'book' information you are looking for on irises then here is a link to iris books - rated by those of us who have read them.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gbw/advanced.php?search_text=iris

I hope this helps.

Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

thanks so much.. I will look them up as soon as I print the list out..

Any other advice for a newbie?

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Schreiner's website has some really good planting tips. Here's a link.

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/about_iris.shtml#planting

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Donna,

When you see a beautiful garden of Iris blooming, stop in and ask the owners what iris they plant. If they are 'our' type of gardeners, they will be pleased that you admired their flowers. We live where no one but us seems to garden, at least out front. People slow down and stare but very few will come in the front gate to ask questions. We would love to share the info with them. So, try it, all they can do is slam the door in your face. ^_^

Donna (now I feel like I'm talking to myself)

Olympiad

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Lancaster, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you thank you for the web link.. That site is very helpful and I have bookmarked it for future reference..

Donna.. lol Will do Im not afraid to stop and ask about plants, I just hadnt had the chance to quite yet. There are so many blooming that are very retty I think I could sto pat 5 houses a day around this area for at least a week or two before I ran out of places to chat with people in teh immediate area.. lol Your Olympiad is very very pretty.. Almost a very light lilac color.. Does it get big?

Donna C.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Yes, Olympiad is a TBI and it has a very large frilly bloom. It is beautiful. It should do well in your area.

South Hamilton, MA

In Ohio don't forget that the dwarf iris will also grow there. It will keep you from doing the primal scream while waiting for the taller ones to bloom. Go to the AIS website & you can find a list of iris clubs in region6 (MI, OH & IN) If you get in touch with a club closest to you, you can learn about local conditions. Sorry, web site is www.irises.org

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.