Parkersburg, WV

Noid

Thumbnail by taj12
Parkersburg, WV

Red Zinger

Thumbnail by taj12
Parkersburg, WV

Last one Noid also.
I have had most of these given to me or I have rescued them.

Thumbnail by taj12
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Noid 1 is most likely Flavescens by De Candolle 1812. Check if it is around 30" E season . This would be a diploid from Switzerland. Standards would be light yellow with yellowish- wihite falls, that are veined olive buff. Beard is yellow. Fragrant too.

My pic of Flavescens from muy garden came from Historical Iris Society sale in 2005.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

Now bear in mind my climate makes colors darker because it is colder in Maine.

Noid 2 is most likely Helen Collingwood by K Smith 1949. Check to see if it reaches around 38"in height and blooms near ML season. This is a very good example of a neglecta because it is almost an amoena. Standards are very pale lavender. Falls are deep purple violet. Beard is white tipped yellow. AM award 1952.

My photo is from my garden and I got my Helen collingwood from Historical Iris Preservation Society's 2005 sale.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

The veining might show up better in this photo i hope.

Thumbnail by Mainer
Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

I really need mine to bloom again to get a really nice photo of the veining, your photo is just wonderful in captureing this.

Julianna

The others I dare not gues not growing anything that looks like them.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree about #2 Helen Collingwood. This was taken May 9. Your photo is better than mine. My camera tends to "redden" purples a bit.

Sally

Thumbnail by sjsg
Parkersburg, WV

I think you all are right. I really appreciate the name. I thought it was an historic but was not sure. I received that one from my sisters garden, just knew it was pretty. I have some named varieties but none of them are blooming yet. They should be out in a few days though.
Thanks for looking.

Parkersburg, WV

Mainer, I believe you are correct about Flavescens also. I dug this specimen from an old family cemetary. They had moved grown over a grave and completely outside of the fence. I know that they have been growing there for at least forty or more years. I grew up with burying alot of family there over the years.
Thanks again.
taj

Durham, ME(Zone 3a)

You are welcome.

I haunt cemetaries for another reason, geneology. Once I looked at a grave of a 96 year old man who was a relative of my friend and found no death date. Well we were in Canada at the time and we called him and got a 150 year span family photo from his generationto my friends generation. He knew her ggg grandmother when he was only 14 years old. It was a moving experience for all of us and we replaced a section of records that were burned out in Mulgrave Canada that her ggg grandmother had taken to the US when she moved. They did that clerking stuff in the old days, worked in their house. We made the newspaper front page there in 1994 when we returned the records.

This message was edited May 11, 2009 3:47 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.