Who plants their Louisiana iris seeds?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I've never seen this before, a LA iris seed pod. I read a little on it and seems that unless one is actively hybridizing, one should remove pod to encourage plant growth rather than seed development. If you want to save the seeds, you can use a make-shift sleeve made of pantyhose to retain seeds once pod bursts open.

Who has some comments/experience on the matter?

Pod on my Joie de Vivre

Thumbnail by vossner
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Removing seed pods will indeed divert energy back to plant growth. Ideally you would remove the spent flower before it even thinks about forming a pod. I have grown other irises from seeds but not Louisianas though I would think it would be the same. If you hybridize you would want to protect the cross from pollinating insects by using pantyhose or something similar. However, I know that many hybridizers simply strip off the standards, falls and anthers to discourage insects and call it good.

I haven't used anything special to catch falling seeds because I keep an eye on my pods and remove them as they start to split. It doesn't happen real fast so not a problem. On the other hand if you had a whole lot of them that you want to save you would probably want to use something to catch the seeds.

So in a nutshell, remove spent flowers. If you want to practice germinating these seeds, try planting them out in the fall. That has worked for all the other types of irises that I have started from seed. Hope this helps!

thanks,pard. what is best way and place to store seeds til fall? also, in your experience w/ other irises, usually about when do pods typically burst?

I'm cutting mine off as you recommend as not interested in growing from seed at this time.

I usually use labeled paper cups for any seeds that I collect. That way there is plenty of air circulation around them.

Most pods are usually ripened toward the end of summer or early fall, August-September. But it may be earlier for you in Texas since your iris season seems to start a month or so earlier than here in western Oregon.

so I take it they don't need refrigeration? thanks for the valuable info.

lol, I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. what a goof!

That is one question I can't answer, not having grown that particular kind of iris. Japanese iris are supposed to be refrigerated but by planting them out before winter gets going they seem to do fine and things start warming up again in spring and they pop up.

I have a very good reference book ("Iris" by Fritz Kohlein) that has a section on germination, but apparently Louisiana irises are hybrids of several species so hard to tell. I usually approach a situation like this by dividing seed into small batches and then experiment with different methods. Some in fridge for a couple of months, some in pots in the house and then some outside directly sown in 1 gallon pots. At least outside our winter rains will wash away any germination inhibitors.

If anyone here knows how to germinate Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise) let me know. I am now into year #2 on this one!

LOL, vossner! Sometimes posting in the wrong forum can be beneficial. If we can't answer your question here we'll send you back to the iris forum!

thank you. smart of you to try different things. didn't even know BOP could be grown from seed. You should ask in the Tropicals forum.

Good idea there. I'll give it a try. I suspect it requires more heat than it gets, which is none. It is still a firm hard seed so there is still hope.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.