Damaage to fruit bloom from birds

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have seen this kind of damage before but not to the extent as this year. There has been a large eruption of White Crowned Sparrows, and they are still around. They usually come just as Juncos are leaving about first of April, Well they came then, by the hundreds and are still here. I watched them in the Rainier Cherry tree, they just clip off the bloom and drop them to the ground, don't eat anything just clip the blooms. I don't think there are any blooms left on the tree, it is about 20 feet tall, 15 years of age and had a beautiful bloom. I don't know of anything I can do. Anybody have ideas.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I don't know your sparrows but perhaps you could eat them.
Seriously although it sounds as if it is too late for this year, sometimes hanging a radio that is tuned to a station that broadcasts lots of different sounds in the tree works. You need good music bad music voices both soft and loud. The more effective way is to cover the tree with bird netting, but that is only as good as the job you do covering the tree completely.
Brian

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They were most likely after the nectar - good energy source for birds wanting to get ready for migration.

Maybe provide an alternative food source they can use instead?

Resin

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your interest. I have a large yard 2+ acres, lots of trees and shrubs.
Resin, do you think they could get enough nectar from just biting off the blooms. I watched them closely and they do not eat anything that I can see. They managed to get into the bird netting enclosed frame work around my Lapins cherry tree, it is 3/4" netting, but the door into the enclosure has warped so not secure and i thing that is the way they get in and out. They clipped off all the blooms on that tree also.

Donna

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yes; since the nectar is a clear colourless liquid, you won't see it being consumed.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.