marigolds verse snailsand the snails won !!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I am so disgusted !! I am trying to grow a few marigolds in my flower beds, Every single leaf has been eaten by snails and slugs overnight! Other than screaming and forgetting that I don't usually "cuss" what can I do? These were started plants, not seedlings.
I hesitate to put down slug bait because I have birds and a few chickens that visit the beds regularly. AHHHHhhhhhhhhh!!

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

put some saucers of beer out for the slugs and snails. They will crawl into the saucer and drown. You can prop a larger saucer or pot over it to keep the chickens out. You might try that with the slug bait, too. Leave a way for the slugs to crawl in but keep the chickens out.
Also Diatomaceous (sp?) Earth (get it at a pool store) sprinkled on the area around your beds will kill or deter them - it is like crawling over ground glass.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Sprinkle coffee grounds and crushed egg shells on top of dirt. They will stay away.

Lavina

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

There are 2 ways to get rid of slugs n snail that actually work without using poisons.

1. Go out after dark with a flash light, a jar of warm water with dish detergent in it with a bit of ammonia, gloves if you are squeamish. Yank the little beggars off your plants and drop them in the dish water.

2. Put anything flat next to the plant that has enough room under it for them to crawl under (some people say grapefruit rinds work really well!) and every morning lift what ever and pick em up and dump them in the aforementioned jar of dishwater with ammonia.

If you try the eggshell thingy, make sure you wash the egg shells very well to get all the albumen off them before you crush and lay them out. Otherwise you'll be attracting other critters you don't want.

Don't kill the guy in the picture (Rosy Wolf Snail) since it eats snails. It's shell is about the same color.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Pie tin with beer will work. Roving dogs may stop by for a drink but slugs and snails seem to die in it.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

AHA! That's the Carnivorous snail that I have at my house!??? I LOVE that guy!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I finally gave up and used bromide bait. Look at this thing!! Is it any wonder my poor marigolds were gone? I don't really have a problem with snails, it's these slugs that seem to thrive no matter what I try.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I can't stand slugs! they are all over my cannas this year! - I throw them in the pond hoping the fish will eat them Yuck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.