What I have blooming in my gardens...#2

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979184/

Roof Iris

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

More iris. I think it may be tall LA iris?

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Very nice ones! I planted several Louisianas last year. They didn't do well in my first garden so it took me a while to try again. They look good so far!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I dug this one out of where a new pond is going. I've had it a long time & don't have a name for it. I will be potting up small pieces of it to take to Iowa RU plant swap.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

look at those la. iris. when do they bloom? after tbs? and janet cajun rhythm was beautiful.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Yes, they do bloom after the tbs, my Gamecock LA is just setting blooms now.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

and when do siberians bloom?

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

After TBs here.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

what about spuria? what's a spuria anyway and what about all this pseudocorus stuff?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

pseudocorus - is a species all to it self , its a water loving iris and it is evasive in some states there are some new hybrid forms of it that have names which i can not think of at the moment

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

so pseudocorus is native to places like louisianna? do they look like la. iris as far as the flower?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They look somewhat like Louisiana's but not entirely. See:

http://www.missouriplants.com/Yellowalt/Iris_pseudacorus_page.html

And the plant is invasive -- to the point of being illegal to plant in many states. Check out Texas Invasive plants to see if that is the case in Texas before planting. It is pretty, though.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i just got some kind of iris from a lady in rockwall. it looks like that flower but this one is solid yellow and doesn't have that spot beneath the beard. hers are in huge clumps but seem to remain in clumps. does pseudocorus multiply where it stands or does it spread its seeds?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Don't know for sure.

it will spread by the rhizomes
don't let it go to seed pick spent blooms

I found this bloom last night. It is so pretty. The picture doesn't do it justice. It is a dark purple velvety-looking color. What kind of iris is this? Low growing.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Louisiana. How pretty!

Thank you Polly. I thought LA is tall or is there a tall LA type? What kind is this? It is about 3.5 ft tall and it opens flat.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That one looks like a Louisiana too. LAs come in all sizes from quite tiny to over five feet.

Lebanon, OR

pseudocorus is invasive in OR and WA you can sell, buy, trade it...

The only LA I have are around the pond...

D

The pink was is( I Virginia )

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tazzy. I have never seen a virginica that color. By the way, an you tell me how you distinguihed it from a LA? For my future knowledge. Thanks!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

back to the pseudocorus...........will they grow in dry places here in texas once they are established? because this one is growing in a ladies yard in rockwall that is in shade but she doesn't water during the summer.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They might survive. i would be suprised if they would thrive. Spurias need a lot of water to get established, once they do they are pretty drought tolerant. Louisians and pseudacorus normally need a lot of water. Both are native to wetlands. Spurias are not.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thank you all. i do have some louisianas that were given to me from some south texas folks that are in an amended bed. they made it thru last summer without water but seems like i used those crystals that lhasa co-opped.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lots of the water irises will make it, without supplemental water, but they will thrive with extra water. I know sometimes it's hard to supply it.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

absolutely. even though i like to grow as many flowers as i can i do conserve texas' water. once a plant is established here it never gets supplemental water. some plants can't take that but lots do.

i grow it have had it for about 10 years
it narrow in hafts and there realy is no true pink La yet ? It has dark redish stems in one varity and green in another
I think it in the plant files

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I grow virginicas Tazzy, and to me they don't look like the one above, that's why I was wondering. I know you know your irises. I do see what you mean about narrower at the hafts, though. Thanks.

Here's my virginica Contraband Girl. It's not nearly as open as the one in the picture, and it does have the reddish stems.

This message was edited May 12, 2009 11:51 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk

the ones like the beauty you have are crosses from the original species which have no names other than pink ,blue and aba to tell the truth i don't know what the cross was ?
Did they become TET . and the species was dip ?
now i wont sleep ? If mine is blooming in morning
I will take picture s.of the ones we grow here in Tulsa area came from signa seeds that the late Bee Worthington sent to us

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Contraband girl is a selection (parentage UK), and according to Plant Delights, probably a tetraploid. The normal species are dips.

Please don't lose sleep over it, (although thinking about irises has caused me to lose sleep many times), and I would love to see a picture when yours is blooming.

It might be the angle i took the picture, also. Maybe seen directly from above it's more open.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Newsworthy

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Pheasant Feathers

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Costa Rica

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

La Iris Gamecock

Thumbnail by JanetS

here is my Pink virginica, after 14 days of no sun and rain it is a pitiful bloom

Thumbnail by tazzy

another shot of it.

Thumbnail by tazzy

http://www.badbear.com/signa/signa.pl?Iris-virginica
great site for spicies ID

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.