Spring Bulbs - What's Blooming VI

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/979269/#new

a pretty noid

Thumbnail by vossner
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tammy, spectacular use of your land. I would feel so happy living on your property. I am going to go over every photo again and steal ideas. Thanks so much for the tour.

A rare site today, sun. Out to work. Patti

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Tammy,

Yes, Happy Family is the pink one. I really love the multiflowering effect.

Donna

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Tammy, everything looks so beautiful! Give yourself a pat on the back! And what is that in the 4th picture? The leaves look like Anemonella, but with fluffy double lavender blooms- I've never seen anything like it.

somewhere, PA

Neal - you are good. Yes - it is an anemonella thalictroides. Its a double form I got from
Asiatica for a lot more than I should have spent. But its been reliable for the 4-5yrs I've had it
so maybe more reasonable based on #yrs its been with me.

Donna - I'll have a look for Happy Family.

Patti - enjoy the day!

Tam

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm going to chime in so I can watch this new thread - the shasta viburnum has grown so much it overshadows the hostas, so I'm moving them to another bed.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Tammy,

Brent and Becky's and Scheepers are both great choices for Happy Family - I've order it from both and been pleased.

Donna

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

White Trumphinator joins Yonina, which bloomed a week ago. WT reminds me of ballet dancers!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's wonderful blooms of Tulips. What's more they're blooming on Mothers Dady! Beautiful job Donna.
Happy Mothers Day to all my friends here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dear Kim,

You have a lovely day too!!

(P.S., second stem of brug has broken dormancy - I'm in heaven!)

Donna

I want a shasta viburnum in the worst way but don't know if it will grow in my area.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I love the viburnums, too! Would love to have one.

I've got a few bulb photos from today, too so I want to chime in, too!

Thumbnail by tabasco

These allium are back for the third year!

Thumbnail by tabasco

More allium. These have been around for a few years, too.

Thumbnail by tabasco

I'm trying to do color echoes, but my timing is a bit off on this grouping. The white allium here are not blooming yet...

Thumbnail by tabasco

Allium blooming with the verbascum. You probably can't see it but the verbascum has a bit of purple in the florets eye that echoes the allium. Most of my verbascum succumbed to the wet winter in this spot, though.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And this is a space I've recently turned my attention to...there are Ornithogalum, little muscai, some species daffodils, and allium planted in here and I hope will show up in sequence next spring. Now I just have the ornithogalum blooming.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And finally, this is a border I'm working on...there are camassia, allium various, ornithogalum in here with the digitalis, clamatis, peonies, hardy geraniums (and lots of leftover daffodil foliage).

That's all for now. I've been enjoying everyone's pics! t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Tabasco,

Really gorgeous. The color eachoes that are there are great. LOVE the allium karataviense!

Donna

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I love the white allium with the blue foliage, Tabasco - do you know the variety? I have several purple varieties, but no white.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

The short white allium with the bluegreen leaves are the 'krarataiense'. I bought them from VanEngelen/Scheepers and here is their allium page: http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Allium

I can't believe how many Allium they are offering now. Five years ago it seemed like there was just Giganteum and Globe and Firmament, maybe, on the market.

I went to my garden club meeting this morning' We toured a beautiful woodland garden (2 acres full of plants), and this woman must have had 20 kinds of allium all artfully planted through out her semi-shade garden. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were in the woodland garden. I have to get to work!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's fab how many offbeat plants there are, and how easy it is to find them from a really good provider, like Scheepers. I've got to thank you Tabasco. A few years ago I got karataviense, and the grass cutters zapped it all. Thanks to your photo I realized that some odd looking leaves were just that - the bulblets had survived! They were producing blue green leaves. So I went out and dug them up and put them in pots.

Thanks!!!

Donna

somewhere, PA

T - beautiful!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mount Tacoma and Angelique

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Supposedly Mount Tacoma, and may not be, but who cares?

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

tabasco, your garden is gorgeous! I can see the successful results of the "refining" you've been doing :-)

My last tulips just bit the dust during the warm days we've had. These are 'Menton', and I think I need hundreds of them!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
somewhere, PA

That's a lovely photo of the bloom Donna.

Very nice Neal... I guess its the lilies next?

I've made three separate orders for fall bulbs as a result
of this thread. You guys are killing my wallet. LOL

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh yeah! The march of the Lilies will start soon!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This Dwarf Larkspur (Delphinium tricorne) is native to this region, and grows from a little tuber, which I think makes it applicable to this thread. A friend had yanked some out of the ground around the farm last year and gave them to me, but they were so wilted I didn't think any would make it. I was very pleasantly surprised to find this blooming! I plan to collect every little seed it produces!

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/dwf_larkspur.htm

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Gemini, I think I could use 100's of Merton too. Lovely.

Love the alliums starting to strut their stuff. Mine are spiking away, but none open yet. My favorite is White Giant. I planted more of it last fall in a different spot and it is looking good so far and I planted Globemaster for the first time too.

Some of yesterdays narcissus include Dreamlight, Kokopelli, Double Fashion, Wave, White Medal and Sherborne. The big double yellow one is amazing. More tulips coming out with this nice calm, sunny weather....finally. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Tammy, we are here to enable!!!!!

Neal, gorgeous Mentons.

And Patti, what a cool presentation. We can really compare and contrast.

Donna

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 5:20 AM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, this was supposed to be doubles Angelique, Maywonder (dark rose), Mount Tacoma, and the lily flowered White Trumphinator. Got a double dose of Angeliques, and no Mayfwonder, but I don't really mind...

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These Greenland tulips are so pretty! My first year having these and it will not be the last.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Glorious tulips, everyone! Nothing like a nice stand of splendid tulips to brighten up these springtime afternoons! I really think they are the royalty of the mid spring garden!

Patti, you must have been daffodil shopping at the most elite bulb boutiques! Those names are not familiar to me at all, but every one of them should be in my garden! Beautiful! (-:

No new bulb bloom here, but my few remaining lilies do look like they may give me some blooms soon. 'The march of the lilies', I like that!

Spent the afternoon weeding and mulching. A little boring, but good for the soul! t.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

"Supposedly Mount Tacoma, and may not be, but who cares?" ^_^ I've lost all the tags for my oldest daffodils. I have no idea what they are anymore and I don't care either ^_^

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tabasco, I buy a few new ones each year a full price from the regular sources and then wait for the big Nov sales and jump on any of the expensive ones that they have left. These were not expensive ones except Sherborne ( 5 for 14.40 ). Wave, White Medal & Double Fashion came from Eflowergarden. Sherborne and Kokopeli are from Brent and Becky and Dreamlight is from John Scheepers. I only drool at those bulb boutiques, but very tempted.

Beahive, I have that tulip (Greenland) just starting to open up. I am not sure about them yet. We must be on the same bloom schedule. But the picture of yours is lovely.

I spend a lot of time out today,, I did a lot of deadheading, and watched the hired guys move the mulch to the beds. That is my biggest treat of the year. Hired help for 2 days. I could never put down 25 yds of mulch without help. 2 guys today have gotten most of the second half of it down, and will finish up tonight if they work until dark, which they did last night. I prepared the beds pretty well for them, but they have re-edged them for me as I am bad at that! They totally are into our garden, which is very nice. It is looking very good. I will post pictures later

Right now I am trying to get the last of my spring orders in the ground, as we are leaving for Vt for a few days. I stopped and came in to print out a few labels and of course I had to check in and see what was going on. DG is addictive.

I like knowing the names, but mostly, so I don't keep ordering the same things that I already have. I still do that. I love keeping a journal and taking pictures. Having it online is really fun for me. Modern day scrapbook. Patti

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

bbrookrd. I think you will love the Greenland. The colors are so cool. Every one is a bit different. Here is a picture I took Sunday. See the variations of each. They are nice!
Congratulations on 25 yards of mulch! I did 10 yrds myself once and it about killed me!
Have fun in Vermont!

Here is peach trumpet, a beauty but difficult to photograph as a downfacer.

Thumbnail by vossner
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

vossner.. you can always lay on your back..thats what I do (weather permitting!) Nice shot and beautiful
trumpet!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.