ORVG COFFEEHOUSE # 153 - Time to Battle the Varmints !!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/980210/

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Amen to that Marcy...I fought them hard in FL...I would no sooner get one web fried, than another would pop up...I am not into chemicals if I can avoid them, but if they get back on my roses, they are toast...

I finally have the other 2 Sedums moved to the new path...I think they look nice there...Got a coat of paint on the fountain base exterior, and got it covered in case of rain...I got my bowl repaired and painted...Jim fixed the crack yesterday, and I repaired the one Lions nose today...and got it sprayed down with paint...All I have left to coat is the top of the small basin that holds the pump, and it will be ready to go...
I told Jim if we don't get any rain between now and tomorrow afternoon, the rest of the path will get finished, if it kills him and me both...
It has to be done so we can get going on the waterfall repairs and get it re-rocked and planted...Then on to the pond...I still have a ton of seeds to get planted in the meantime...and more weeds than I care to discuss to deal with...Jim got more of our yard mowed today with our mower...I got him some STP and so far it is still running...again..for the moment...

We had a bit of a scare earlier with some mighty dark clouds and I thought sure we were going to get more rain again...We finished up, and got things under cover, he came in and got a beer, and we sat out on the porch for a bit...That sure was nice...First time since I can remember we have sat outside and enjoyed the evening in a long time...

We are clouding up again...so who knows....But I am going to sprinkle my transplants regardless...

You all have a wonderful evening, and a Very Happy Mothers Day tomorrow...May you be blessed with your Children and Grands...and a big fat Suthern fried Chicken dinner.... Sorry Toni... ;-)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, we have your rain, Dusty! Power was off AGAIN for a couple hours this afternoon after a brief windy storm passed through. I sat on the steps and contemplated the garden after it passed. Too wet to do much (although I pulled more weeds), and with no power, there's no sense to being inside.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

evening friends. I have been busy today, but it was to wet outside to get much done. The first thing I did this morning, was to go out and emply water from some pots as the plants were about to float away. I did get my 1/2 barrels planted today. Most of what I accomplished was inside work. Did some laundry and ran the vacuum, and cooked some for tomorrow. We went out to eat tonight, in celebration of MD. Don't think the DS and his SO will be here tomorrow, as she has to work.

DGD is here but she is out with one of her friends and will be in later. I probably won't even try to work outside tomorrow, must wait and let things dry a bit, as it is too wet to even work in some of the flower beds.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey eb..

Just popping in. I just got lights back as we had one heck of a wind storm today up here. Lights were out for about 6 hours because a transformer blew up.

Before that I got quite a bit done. My neighbor put together one of my mother's day presents, a new cordless electric mower. It's pretty cool too and easy to use. I call it the lawn mower for dummies. Also got a fence put up around my garden and helped my neighbor try to get her yard together and got the propane tank filled for the bbq pit.

Other than that not much happening. Gonna go to the cemetary tomorrow and maybe to Hirts to see what they have.

To all Mothers have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Derek's Mom and Oprah's Foster Mom

Toni, sounds like a good gift. I don't do the mowing, as DH has one of the zero turn mowers, and I have plead ignorance in knowing how to operate it. When we both worked, he worked overtime most everyday, and I did the mowing then. I didn't mind, but since he has as much time as I do now, I let him take care of that.

I hope you all have a good Mother's Day tomorrow, and get to see all the kids and grandkids, and enjoy your time together. We celebrated tonight, so it will probably be a pretty calm day here.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Mother's day everyone!!
I am very tired tonight after working outside most of the day. Got a lot of cleanup done here though...will maybe get more done tomorrow. Was thinking about telling my grandkids if they pulled up the little phlox plants coming up in my pathway..I would give them a penny apiece for them...lol. They are still young enough to want a penny...I think!
Will see how it works! I may be wrong!!! LOL!
Getting on my knees is getting better all the time! They are pretty sore by nighttime...but ok the next day...so that's good!
I took some pics today..so will try to get them uploaded tomorrow and on the flower pics thread....look for them!
Ok...off to bed here for some xtra sleep!! Take care all. Night!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I've spent some time in the garden, but it has been SO WET... I have one bed that qualifies as sticky clay, and once it got good and rained on, I worried that it was more like quicksand. YUK! Gardening is so refined LOL.
I've spent most of the last 24 hours online with a Library of Congress site that has old newspapers and an excellent search engine. I'll post the link in a minute when I find it again. There were lots of papers from KY and I filled in a lot of blank spaces in my genealogy that I would otherwise still be wondering about. Like great-uncle Ed and why his sister snubbed him so much-- I thought it might have been booze-- & then I found that he married a woman whose husband had recently died-- & her husband was his step-cousin-- & Ed & the widow were tried for murder! Although the judge, after hearing the prosecution witnesses, told the jury to acquit them.
(These were Jeffersonville people, George!)
Then I was able to confirm a couple of deaths before 1911, when KY started keeping state death records. Maybel Shackelford died of what must have been appendicitis, and Samuel Tilden Slone got crushed between two railroad cars. The papers back then were so grim. People getting shot, crushed, poisoned, dying of TB or infections, burned to death in stove explosions, falling off a cliff...
Sorry, the strange caprices of history just got to me.
ANd on that note-- Happy Mother's Day to all (because we've all, female and male, "mothered" someone or something, so blessings to all who shelter and nurture and guide.)
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's the link for the Library of Congress newspaper images:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/search/pages/

There are other states besides KY-- not Ohio, though, for some reason.
Pat

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Pat, send me the last names in a dmail if you don't mind. I would love to see who they were(prob my family)
Geo

The puppies all leave tomorrow! It's been loads of fun raising them, but now It's too much. I got a lot of calls and finally screened down to the people who had knowledge of dog care and stable homes. I think they will go to good homes now.

It was a great day here. The soil is sandy loam so drains well. I got to plant my barrels and this year added a large pot in the middle to add height. I got the idea from fine gardening magazine and it looked really nice. We will see.

I got almost all my lilies planted from a very late coop. I really hated getting these so late, but the vendor is such a nice company. I didn't complain. I also had to do a lot of damage control with the kinda flash flood that went through our yard. Flattened a lot of plants, but they should spring back. Just one fairly new shrub uprooted, but the roots look unharmed so replanted and will hope for the best.

I am still fighting weeds and clean up, but slowly I am seeing progress. The chickens are still hatching babies like crazy and I'm still using the incubator. I have a clutch in the bator right now and this will prob be the last time I use it. The hens do so much better of a job raising their own chicks.

Our oldest turns 18 in Sept and he told us this week he wants to get his own apartment in town for work and being closer to friends. It is bittersweet, but I have taught him to cook, clean, laundry and general household finances. He can do it, but makes me feel ancient! I told him that if he will give me all his checks except for some pocket money. I will help him completely with his move. His checks will be saved for a car and deposits and general things he will need. It will be so quiet around here, but he will be only like 15 miles away, so we can see him any time he wants to.

Tomorrow I hope to get my sweet tatars in the ground and the rest of the veggie plants. Then layer with cardboard and dress with straw. Everything else I have planted looks great. I hope everything else does as good.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY LADIES!!!
Geo
I had my fried chicken dinner tonight(even made gravy, I'm a bad boy! LOL)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Mother's Day!

Pat, that was really nice sentiments about all who nuture.

Good Morning everyone, and Happy Mother's Day. Many of us no longer have our mothers so it's a bittersweet day.

George you've been a busy bee, right along with Marcy! Can't wait to see your place. :)

Pat, thanks for the LOC link! I have more gaps in my records than I'd like so maybe I can fill in a few too. (A lot of my research needs to happen in person in and around Adams County, and I had hoped to extend my visit for the RU to do that. But, I have to be back here for several 6 mos. medical appointments at U VA.) My nearest cousin (in age) sent me photos last night of her mother's 1924 sewing machine she just had restored. She wanted to know if I knew the history. It was our grandmother's, and I have the original bill of sale!

The sun is shining and supposedly the neighbor boy is coming to work for me this morning. I still have 10 trees to plant, and a few fence posts to start fencing the veggie garden... from dogs, mostly. The lows tonight and tomorrow night are 41º-42º so I may need to bring in some firewood.

For those who draw social security: I just found out there will be no COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) increase in 2010 and probably not in 2011. This year it was 5.8%.

Saw my first hummer last evening while I was sitting on the stoop!

Hi gang
I have 4 robin nest on my front porch.
Sat out on the front porch for a bit this morning listened to the birds
Gh blew away yesterday :( i left the door open *uhg* that was a 2 hr fix . I ran out of tape also that was a bummer.
No plants lost but i think they may be in shock so ?
darius wow with the weather on your end . I hope it settles down for you soon.
Geo so jealous on the SP i m still waiting on mine :(
Marcy wow a penny LOL your lucky , my kids cost me .50 ! sheesh. to pull dandylions ack
well sunny out and mild wind, will have to go check on more damage from the winds we had
ttyl
sue

Happy Mothers Day !!!!!!
It is a chilly 54*, but at least we have lots of sunshine...

George, I'm glad you got your dinner last night...Somehow I don't think having a *Traditional Dinner* according to your Family, 3-4 times a year is going to kill anybody...Sure doesn't make you a bad boy at all...
I bought some sweet taters a couple weeks ago, and there were 2 left..I found sprouts on one of them yesterday...I can't decide whether to stick it in water and grow a vine or stick it in the garden and see if it grows anything...LOL

All I'm planting this year are the tomatoes, some peas, limas and lettuce, a bit of kale and okra, and a few beets..and a Climbing spinach...Certainly not the garden I had planned on, but it's just too much for me this year...Too many other things need doing...

Bons...I am doing laundry today...LOL...I mopped the kitchen while the supper was in the oven last night...I have to go to the basement to haul water for the fish tanks, so I figured I may as well wash clothes on a few of those trips...

Thanks for that link Pat...I hope I can find a few of my KY links in there... Probably will be horse thieves and train robbers knowing that side of the family...LOL

Back to the basement....Have a wonderful day!!!

Here are the sedums...finally moved at the head of the path..

Thumbnail by DustyDS
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Your path looks great Dusty!
Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day! I did! We got KFC's new grilled chicken, and I would highly reccommend it to anyone! Everyone here loved it!
I didn't get anything done outside today, but my grandkids did! I asked them if they wanted to make some money, and they jumped at the chance! I offered them a penny for each little phlox plant they pulled up out of my pathway...and there were MANY! So I showed them what to do...and gave them each a bag...and left them to it. I figured they would work for a bit..then come in and say...I don't want to do it anymore...lol. Well guess what????? They kept at it until the pathway was CLEAN!! They each had over a half walmart bag full! We counted 100 tiny plants in each of their bags....and put them in a pile. Then I dumped the rest of each bag in another pile. Ashley had more than Dawson, but I told them...you know what? Since you did such a good job, and stuck with it too...I am gonna give you each 5.00! Oh were they thrilled!! And so was I! That was such a back saver for me! I now call them the weed busters!!!
And they were quite proud of themselves too!
I was really surprised that Dawson stuck with it, as he has such a short attention span right now....but I suspect his sissy kept reminding him of the money he would make....lol!!!
After everyone left, Dave took me up to Lowe's and Wally to get some leftover MD flowers. So I hope tomorrow is a warmer day here...and I can get outside more.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Happy Mother's Day!

Well yesterday wasn't really too bad just long. 13 hours long...
We took some carpet up to Dayton finally.
Tempers are flaring among Sister's and BIL's (me being a BIL...LOL!) .

Everyone's been watching DIY Programs and think they know how to do things.
But it's more like Renovation Realities up there.
So basically we told everyone... mess w/ us and we leave... for good!
I dropped walls in the Laundry Room and a closet... gives the place a more 'finished' look.
Robyn painted and helped lay the carpet.

Today we worked in OUR yard till about 2PM.
Beautiful partly cloudy ... perfect gardening weather.
Then went after more carpet and supplies...
we're going back up tomorrow when we can work by ourselves.
1/2 my day will be redoing the 'expert' BIL's work...
Good news is we're about done...
then we will go back to doing Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter... LOL!

Here's one of the 'dropped' walls... I'll lightly sand and blend the mud tomorrow and prime.

Ric

This message was edited May 10, 2009 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Today we tore out some burst pipes in the yard (my fault) and cleaned the Hot Tub cover.
Yuck!
Then we headed for Lowe's.

Did find a great deal on plants at Lowe's today.
14 racks of Clearance... GOOD Clearance...
Hosta's, Gerber Daisies, Hardy Ferns, 2 different Thornless Blackberries,
Geraniums (80 cents a pot!) everything was 50-75% off and in not too bad shape.
More TLC than Emergency Surgery needed plants.
Just not Great Looking but very well grown and healthy.
We totally filled a cart!

It's the one at Ridge and Highland for those of you close enough.

The yard is really responding to all the new sun.
I've never had Iris do this well before.
Clematis are popping everywhere.
Spiderworts and Peonies (or Piney's for those of you in the South) are just opening.

Anyone recognnize these?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat thanks LOADS for that Web Site!
I have found several of my Kin in there.
And several places to search from marriage guests and moving notices....
Love the small town life discriptions.
Especially the diseases!

OK for a buck (no cheating and googling) what is Quinsy.....

The oddest thing is my 1st Cousin 4x removed is named Pleasant Bush DeVary.....
I had them listed as Female.... I was wrong!
This opened a whole line.
Again THANKS Pat!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric
I don't know what that is but I love it.
I Love White flowers.

Here is what I bought today at Lowes in Morehead, Georges hometown...
It is "Little Henry"
It will get 3 ft. tall

Pauletta
ooops forgot to say it was half price too
got it for ten dollars

Thumbnail by lilyhostaky
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Quinsy..wasn't that what they called it when people would shake..like in Parkinson's disease?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nope Marcy..... not even close.... the only reason I knew this was an old Obit.
Hint... think infection....

Pauletta that's lovely!
It's an Itea isn't it?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Lungs? Pneumonia?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Same system a bit higher up.... think Ice Cream......

I just found a Marriage Announcement in the Winchester News for my 2nd Cousin 3 times removed.
A whole bunch of maiden names........

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Evening check in, I had a lovely day. Church, home with lunch partially done yesterday. Had to have DGD to meet her mother at 3:00. Visited a shoe store where they were having a buy one get one half priced, and scored on 2 new pairs of shoes. Home where I was able to locate some daylilies for a trade and marked them, to dig tomorrow. DS and his SO are spending the night. They will start on a roofing job on the rental property tomorrow.

So hope all the mothers had a happy day.

Off to bed.

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes Ric it is Itea v.Sprich
Think I'm gonna go check out that site

Pauletta

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Quinsy is Tonsillitis w/ infection packets or Peritonsillar abscess....
One of my Greats died of it.

I'm now reading about one of my cousin's and his murder trial down in Winchester..... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Henry10, what is the name of that pinkish iris. I have lots like that.

Hope everybody had a Happy Mother's Day.
Everybody has been busy on many projects..WOW!! Looking good!!
I was able to work outside for the first time in a month. The rain has stopped for a day or two. I am trying to dig daylilies that I sold.
Wednesday I went to the doctor because I had a bite on my arm and one on my leg that dr thought was a tick bite. Each place was red and circular and warm to the touch. He gave me antibiotic DOXYCYCL. By the third pill (2 pills a day) it looked better and wasn't warm. Today it was back to the way it was . I took the Dox this evening and started vomiting 30 minutes later. I read on internet where it said take with food if stomach upset. I tried eating ...threw up ..then drinking milk..threw up. I hate vomiting..it is so wretching!! I wonder if I should call the doc tomorrow. Or just continue with this DOX. We have had huge amounts of ticks this year. One day my DH came in from the field and woods and had 13 on him. I spread granules in the yard to kill them. I think we had a fairly mild winter considering and maybe more ticks made it than usual.

This rain has really made the weeds grow. I wish I could pay someone to pull them...lol..

Judy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Judy I don't know on the Iris.
I 'think' I got it at Jazz's Fall RU two years back.
Here's a better shot.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

It's beautiful!!

Good Morning. My, my, what a productive bunch everyone was the last day or two!

Here's mine: a new (extension) bed 13' x 3' that gets afternoon shade for my hosta, heuchera, and astilbe. That bed got pretty expensive after I lost my glasses at Lowe's getting the landscape timbers!

Thumbnail by darius

Good Morning All...57* and overcast here...Possible showers later on..
No, the plants don't need it, nor does the grass, nor do I... ;-((

Darius, your new bed is lovely...I love how big your Hosta are...
I moved some Hosta, and Bleeding heart that was in jeopardy since the Mimosa tree is gone, to the new bed at the end of the porch...They all seem to be very happy there, and are growing really good...Maybe next year they will be as pretty as yours...

I am planning to work on the pathway today, and get the top part done at least...I need to get it down so I can get the lilies in the ground...
I was reading somewhere this morning that Iowa and east had frost...I sure do hope we don't get bit with a late one...That would not be a good thing at all...

Looks like the sun is out, so I'm off to get at it...

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning everyone. I had a great weekend as well. My DB and DSIL came and spent the night on Saturday. 18 were fed for Mother's day yesterday.

Love the iris...

I just love it when the garden starts to explode....

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ric...I gave up and went to bed...lol! I knew it was something like that..hahaha!!!
That is a beautiful iris...love it!
Darius...nice bed!! No one turned in your glasses???? Geesh! That would be expensive! I don't have to worry about that...cause mine are always on my face..unless I am sleeping!
Hi Judy...sorry you have been sick. I hate that too! Maybe ought to call dr again? My opinion. I don't like ticks....at all. I need to check my cat...even though I use meds on her...I have noticed her digging a good bit lately. HMMMMM! Hadn't even thought about ticks yet!
Bonnie...good for you on the shoes! I hate shoe shopping cause I have a hard foot to fit...and when I do find a pair that fit nice..I wear them to the death...lol!
Well..I am still in shock over the gkids doing that little project for me!! And sooo happy too!
I should have been thinking further though...and potted up all that phlox for you folks that want it...lol...duh!! They were very small..but that stuff grows like gangbusters. If I see anymore to pull..I will pot it up. They surely missed some!
Sun is out here...but we are going up to Meadowview I think. I'm still looking for annuals...and wallyworld and lowes don't look very good around here! And cost as much as any nursery! Besides..it's too cold out there for me...until 5:00 or so!
Hope you all have a wonderful day..whatever you do!

I'm with you on the cold Marcy...I went out for a few...it's 59* here but the wind is up and it feels alot colder...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeah Dusty...58* here. My old bones can't handle that anymore...lol!
It's supposed to be better tomorrow...getting rid of that north wind they say...and warmer temps. I say...bring it on!!

Marcy, not too expensive. Fortunately, I can get something close to my prescription in reading glasses at a good drug store, and that gets me by. Can't wear the real cheapo kind, though. They are too inconsistent in the lenses... My prescription is the same for both eyes (at my request) since I had my cataracts removed.

I'm about ready to put the heat on... too cold (53º) and damp. Yuck. I need to put the heat on anyway to warm the bathroom for a shower... plus, I think I'm going to cut my hair so I'll be in there longer. Hardly anyone has seen me with long hair in many years, but I'm really over it. I look better with short hair, and it's surely less trouble.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad you are having so much fun with the website, Ric! And quinsy, IMHO, covers any kind of "bad throat" that doesn't kill you-- if you die from it, then it usually gets upgraded to diptheria.
I have 2 favorite puzzles as far as cause of death goes. One is from 1890 (Champaign county, Sue!) & lists the cause of death as myopia. What abt nearsightedness would kill someone? The other is from 1850's, Bath county KY. I assume the clerk must have been trying to spell "inflammation" but it was written down as "infommation." Sounds like he overdosed on the news!
Younger sis doing pretty well after her gall bladder surgery Friday. I spent part of MD pruning her hydrangeas. Also took off a couple "nests" of tent worms off her ancient weeping cherry. More worrisome is a huge nest on a 4 or 5 year old crabapple. This tree (like the hydrangeas) has never been pruned, and the nest on the crab is right at the joint of the main trunk & 2 big laterals. I can reach it, but should I take both laterals off? Should I torch the bugs on the tree and then clean it up by trimming? Help, please!

Pat

Maybe the myopic person walked in front of a bus?

Pat, I'd try torching the bugs first and then see what damage there is before I'd take off major limbs...

I just got run inside for a break, by Goldfinches cussing at me because I was too close to their feeder to suit them...LOL

I have been pulling weeds along where the path is going, and have a 33 gal can nearly full already...Bro Bill said he will bring me a few more cans, and I will sure need them for all of this mess...He just brought me the small tiller...It is perfect for what I need to do...I will be able to get my last 3 Castor Beans planted today for sure now...and the lily bed tilled...I will be so glad when I can afford to buy one of these gadgets...They make life so much easier on old bodies when you are trying to plant things or till up old beds etc...

My mind says, *GO, GO, GO!!!!* My body says, *Not today Sister, or you will pay dearly*....Aggravates me no end...
I used to be able to shovel like crazy to dig or plant...no more...I can only do a little bit at a time now...
Marcys new Knees are really making me look bad!! ROFLL

Well, I gave them a half hour to feed, and now I'm going back outside, so they are going to have to deal with me sitting on my behind pulling more weeds...LOL
After all, I am trying to make their feeding area all nice and clean for them, and a nice clean pathway for me to get to the feeder to refill it, so they really need to quit grousing at me!! LOL...

Pat...Just torch them...I have never cut limbs because of them, but be sure to have some kind of vermin killer ready to spray on the ground on the ones that drop off and didn't get fried...Then I spray the tree where they were as well, and watch for any crawling in the branches that got away...If you are going to cut limbs that often, you may as well get rid of the tree...IMHO...
There were quite a few tents all around the perimeter of this weeping cherry, and if I had cut limbs, there would have been no tree left... :-((
It does no harm to the tree no longer than the few seconds it takes to destroy the nests and worms...
Oh yeah...Don't stand under where you are torching unless you want a head full of them....ROFLLLLL

Okay, I'm outta here to the weeds again...

Dusty, where do you plant castor beans? I know they are poisonous and good for moles? But where to put them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.