I have 2 problems,fire ants and fan which way?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I put down plastic to kill the grass after my GH was built.
Now I find under the plastic is the worlds largest colony of fire ants. And the larvaes are just under the plastic everywhere.And holes in the dirt everywhere.
How do I kill them and not damage the floor in the GH?

Also I have the fan sucking the hot air out, should it be blowing in side toward the walls instead out out?
How do you do yours? It gets real dry inside quick.

Lavina

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Fire ants? sure its not Termites ?
If its fire ants - amdro will do the trick

use the pellets - sprinkle on the grownd near the mounds and they will bring it into the
queen and the colony will die.

Not sure on the fan thing.

Sylvia

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I am very sure its fire ants I have had 25 bites this year already.

LOL
Lavina

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

Otay , fire ants it is

We suffer from them here , I heard that Grits kills them too.
NO not hot grits , ROTF

The dry stuff, spread it on the mounds and it supposed to kill them

Never tried it myself.

Sylvia

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

You need the fan drawing the hot air out.

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

There is no need to use poisons if you don't absolutely have to. Check this link out. Simple soap and water works!! I use it all of the time. It wasn't until I read this link that I finally understand why it works. :) http://www.ehow.com/how_4550180_killing-ants-soap-water.html

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

"You need the fan drawing the hot air out." which also means the fan needs to be blowing out side, not in. Of course, that means you probably have another fan that is blowing inside....

For humidity, it depends on your situation - if it's just a few plants, you might set them in trays filled with pebbles and water. If you have a larger area and a dirt or gravel floor, you can hose it down and if you want to go all the way, they make fans with spray attachments on them.

I don't know if they're available country-wide, but in Arizona they sell what looks like a frozen hose that stands on it's own - you attach it to a hose and it mists. It's pretty cheap, $10 or under, I think.

I'm sorry, that's not a very good description, but I don't know how to tell you any better....?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.