Looking for a good St. Louis area nursery!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

We're on our way to St. Louis today and I'm looking for a good St. Louis area nursery with lots of variety. I'm specifically after some variegated holly plants but who knows what else I will bring home. Thanks for your help!

Best,
Susie

Saint Peters, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry I missed your post yesterday and hope you had a good trip. There are several great nursersies in the St. Louis area, but the one I spend the most time at and $$ is SugarCreek Gardens. Their web page can give you a glimpse of the items they offer:
http://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/index.html While the information is too late for your vist this time, it may be worth your effort to visit them the next time you are in town.

I do not know if they carry the Holly bushes you are looking for as they specialize in tender/perenial rather than shrubbery. The Missouri Botanical Garden does offer a web page where you can search the inventory of several participating area nurseries and it may help you find what you are seeking: http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/businv.asp

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Adiantium,

Thanks so much for your help! We ended up at Greenscape Gardens in West County. They had a couple of hollies and there was one I liked enough to purchase, so I did okay. I also found a crape myrtle that I'm excited about and gout that, too. It's supposed to be good to zone 4 so I'm excited to try it. :)

I wanted to see the Ming Dynasty stuff at the art museum (that was the main reason for our trip) but the museum was so packed that I didn't want to go in. We may try to come down mid-week so I'll hit your nursery when I come. I love the search engine from the MO Botanical Gardens! Thank you so much!! I'm looking forward to visiting Sugar Creek- their site looks great!!

Best,
Susie

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

Sugar Creek is my favorite and I drive about 100 miles round trip.
Judy

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Susie R, I just read your post. We stumbled upon a wonderful nursery east of St Louis. It's called Frisella Nursery. It is very near Defiance, Mo. They have 30 acres of plants with an emphasis on shrubs and trees. They also have a restaurant on the premises. They are very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this nursery. We drive 150 mi to get to it, but it is worth it.
We bought 5 rose bushes-very healthy, large shrubs with a good selection. I think the man's name was "Paul" who answered my questions. He was quite knowledgeable and helpful.
Last year, we purchased and Baptisia australis, False Indigo-very large healthy plant. We also purchased a beauty berry and an Oakleaf hydrangea. All were very large and healthy.
My roses were $20.00 for a gallon or $25.00 for a two gallon large rose.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the recommendation! We'll have to go there, too! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.