May Flowers II

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

"The world's favorite season is the spring.
All things seem possible in May."
- Edwin Way Teale

Wishing everyone warm days and lots of May flowers...

I have to say I love these large ruffly blossoms on av 'Pink Duchess'.

Pink Duchess (9184) 02/03/2003 (Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses/Sorano) Semidouble-double medium pink star/wide light pink edge. Light green, quilted. Large

Thumbnail by GoldLeaf91011
South, TX

What a pretty flower!

(Zone 1)

Aaah, lovely bloom GL! I like that saying too ... although, we are into hot, humid summer type temp's here already! It was 92 today and soooo hot. I dread July, August and September!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Sally!

Oh my, Lin,...92° is hot hot. It was ideal here today in the 70's, really nice day to be out and about which I was. My sister and I went to our favorite nursery and had lunch so a great day for both of us. The scenery was beautiful as everything is so nice and green.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful bloom, and beautiful weather, you guys! The high today here was 102. We need a good storm to blow thru and get rid of the mold and oak that are aggravating the sinuses . . .

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

102 is waaay tooo much to endure. It's not the norm for May is it?

Can anyone id this? I've gone blank on the name (not a gesneriad).

(Zone 1)

GL: I have that same plant, Plectranthus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57891/

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Pretty bloom and your plectranthus is beautiful! As much as I hate snow, I couldn't handle that kind of heat!

(Zone 1)

I have a feeling it's going to be a long, very hot summer! It's already 86º here and it's not even 11 O'clock yet! We are supposed to be 93 today but inland it's going to be even higher! It is unusual for us to have such high temp's in April and May ... the dog days of summer don't usually hit until July/August time frame! We need rain badly! There have been some brush fires around the state already and homes in jeopardy. But, Tropical storm season is soon approaching, in another month or two we will probably be wishing the rain would go away!

I've heard about some awful wild fires out in California this past week, many evacuations and homes lost so I'm keeping those folks in my prayers.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I posted this on the other one but wanted you to see it Lin :-) My babies...

Lin,
That is the wood pecker we have... They are BIG.. We have at least two pairs of them and we also have the smaller ones...
When my son took the top of his golf clubs off, it is a water proof cover they flopped onto the basket of the golf cart and is why I had to take her she stayed there with her 5 babies attached to her tit and was scared to death but she did not leave them... I have a water cap in there for her and so far she has had oatmeal, whold wheat bread and bird millit..LOL That sounds like a rounded diet to me...LOLOL I will run to the store later to get her a rat block or see what they have for mice... I don't know how she does it as these 5 babies are almost the size of her...LOL Here is another picture...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i can't find any information on who hybridized this strep but she is a beauty!
She is called Spirit.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

A great name for a beautiful Strep! Love that color!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

That's it, Lin! Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'. Thank you for the id...couldn't think of it for the life of me.

So, Susan, once the mouselets ;) are weaned, will you let them loose outside?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Lin--all your rain is up here in the N. east! Been raining all week

(Zone 1)

That's what I've been hearing ... isn't it something how nature works? There can be torrential rains and even floods in one part of the country while there are wild fires in another. I know that eventually we will probably be having more rain than we want!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I always love that plant GL showed us. I forget to buy it each year................like the purple always blooming flowers.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

GL - it reminds me of some kind of salvia . . .

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

syrumani, Good observation. Plectranthus reminds you of salvia because they are both in the mint family. Almost all plants in the mint family have square stems and I am drawn to others members like coleus for example. I love the sun coleus in big pots for the summer.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Leaf,
Yup I will let them go in the wood with instructions not to come into my house..LOL She is such a good Mom she deserves to live.... They already have hair so I am hoping I will not have to keep her and her babies in the house for to long....
Well we are having a wonderful storm again so let me fly... BBL..
Hugs,
Susan

Williston, ND

lets hope they dont find there way "home" that was the sweetest picture ive seen in a long time

JIM

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Uh-Oh! Anyone getting the urge to name them? ^_^ They're awfully cute!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah, you don't want the little critters showing back up to Home Sweet Home ^_^.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

And here is the caption for your photo.....

"Bloom where you are planted!"

(Zone 1)

Uh oh ... I bet Susie is gonna be in big trouble with her family if she names her little friends! LOL, they are sooo cute though, it would be very hard not to name them. Hey Susan, have your grandkids seen them yet?

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello,
My Granddaughter saw them yesterday and said Oh good we need some mice for the snake...NOOOOOOOOO LOLOL The youngest one loved them....
He is a not so good picture of the five babies... I have not named them yet.... They all look alike... I can't believe how small the Mom is and how big the babies are...LOL
Pretty good when I am here taking pictures of the mice and not my plants... I have so many that have to be potted up and they are going to have to wait until next weekend. I have babies to watch....LOLOL
Seems like storms have left for a few... If you were near my house you would think we were all hard of hearing... I put the TV up in the high 30's so my dogs don't hear the thunder...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
(Zone 1)

I don't like storms ... thunder and lightning scare me so much I am like a skittish dog sometimes, trying to find a place to hide. I get real nervous. It's been so long since we've heard thunder, it might be kinda nice .. only if we could get some rain along with it. We are too dry here and it's so scary seeing stupid people throwing their cigarette butts out the window of their cars when we are under fire watches. Some people just don't think.

One of your grandkids has a snake as a pet and wanted to feed the little mice to the snake? :(
I wonder if the mouse babies are all boys, maybe males are bigger than females? I hope you will keep us posted on how Mickey, Minnie, Mighty Morty etc. are doing, LOL.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Well what she said was that they were getting her mother a snake for Mothers Day... :-( Not my mice for food.. She has gone through enough to wind up as snake food....
I hate to say it but we can get pretty good storms but I live in a hollow as they call it I call it living at the bottom of the road... We can have a tornado's in the area but we just get our road washed out and tress down..... I am not complaining...LOL I have to drug two of the dogs sometimes as one will try to jump out the windows to get away... She does not understand that is worse then inside... poor girl...
OK I am off to bed for real this time..... Hugs to all.
Susan

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Susan,
I am just a little nervous about you naming them ^_^. If you do they will be permanent members of your critter collection...LOL.
Love Ya'
Lynn

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone!

Kohleria Ruby is starting to bloom at my house.

Thumbnail by jannich
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

yeah for Jan! Love the Ruby Red!!! Kohlerias don't like me...........smiling.....

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

That's really nice Jannich. Love the dark leaves with the red.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't wait to post some new pictures this week.........if I can find time to get the camera out..........some news to me...........grown from leaf..........and some from plants.......

We need lots of pictures on the bloom thread.................(I do!) (LOL)

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Gail...you're funny. How many zillion kohlerias did you used to grow? Okay, not zillions but many dozens ^_^.

I have to find a picture. Let's see..how about Rob's Chilly Willy.

I remember getting this variety from you, gessiegail, way back when you first started in violets and found all those pretty variegated minis and semis somewhere. Do you remember that?

(Zone 1)

Jan, that Kohleria is a beauty! I have a little K. 'Manchu' that I received in trade from Cedarnest last year. It hadn't done much growing but a couple of weeks ago I moved it out to the deck and it must love the heat cause there's new growth. Manchu has real small leaves compared to that one in your picture!

GL, That Rob's Chilly Willy is really pretty, love the variegated foliage with that bloom! That shape is perfect!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

K.Manchu is a nice one. Compact growing. It will be interesting to see how it does outdoors, Lin. I do know someone that grows kohlerias outdoors in Florida, Tampa area.

http://www.kartuz.com/pc/10621/1GES10/Kohleria+Manchu.html

(Zone 1)

Oooh, that is so pretty! I would be ecstatic if my plant ever looked so good! Mine is kinda leggy and trailing ... I guess they should be pinched to make them bushy? You know someone who grows them in the ground, or do you just mean sitting outside on a table? I remember last year Jannich (I think) talking about growing one of the Gessie's in the garden but can't remember which one it was.

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Yea right Miss Gail,Kohlerias grow for you,YOU just don't want them to take up space where a strep could grow.So you gave them all away.LOL. ^_^ I think you can grow anything!

Goldleaf love the robs chilly willy.Very pretty.

Hi Lin,Thanks.I think the kohleria's are loving the heat and humidity were having.I have a few growing outside and there really taking off.Manchu is a beauty!Yes pinch them to make them bushy.It was me that put a sinningia in the ground and I'm happy to say it over wintered fine and is just starting to put up growth.I also have another gessie in the ground thats hardy in my garden.It's X achimenantha Butterfield Gold. It's also just starting to put up growth

Thumbnail by jannich
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok.....the truth comes out but I really can't make them bloom very well. Want to see a few blooms?

First you have to see 'my little helper with plants' holding her niece on the ledge of my bath tub. The cat knocked a giant orchid, clay pot and all, into my bath tub from high on that ledge.......only took me an hour and a plumber to get it fixed and clean..........

I loved it.........I played with the baby and Jacque repotted streps for me!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

David T.'s Moonlit Velvet first bloom

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

DT's Heart of Darkness. She is much prettier than my picture is.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.