2009 Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap'....Sign-Up Below.

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

This 'Secret Hosta Swap' is Now Closed.
and...ALL Hosta Boxes are Delivered.
Have a Wonderful Summer.

It's Spring...The Freezing Temperatures are Subsiding and...It is that Time of Year...Time for Another Fun and Exciting...
2009 Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap'!

The Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap' is Open to...
All Dave's Garden Subscribing Members Residing with an Address in the United States or Canada.
Canadian Subscribing Members are Welcome as Well.

(Just as Long as...
I Get at Least Two(2) Canadian Subscribing Members to Sign-Up for Match-Ups)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2009 Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap' Rules
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If You Wish to Participate in the 2009 Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap'...
You Need to Sign-Up by Friday, May 29th, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
(Just Before the Stroke of Midnight)
To Participate You Also Must D-Mail Me All Your Information Before the Closing Date/Time.

I Will be D-Mailing the Name of Your 'Secret Hosta Swap' Participants Name that You Will be Sending Your Hosta(s) to...Saturday, May 30th, 2009.

This 'Secret Hosta Swap' is for Sending...
at Least One(1) Named Hosta Plant
(You are Allowed to Send More if you Choose but...You Must Send at Least One(1) Healthy, Disease Free, Named Variety of Hosta, with at Least One(1) Eye and Sufficient Roots for Planting)
There has been Much Discussion Here and Other Forum Sites on HVX and Foliar Nematodes. If You are Suspicious of Any Hostas You Have...Please Do Not Share those in Question with Your Fellow Hosta Friends. Please Only Send a Hosta(s) that You Would be Happy to Receive and Plant in Your Garden.

All 'Secret Hosta Swap' Packages Must be Mailed/Sent out by Monday, June 8th, 2009.
If there is Any Problems Getting Your Package Shipped Out on Time........
Please D-Mail Me so I can Contact Your Secret Hosta Swap Mail Recipient/Partner.
This 'Secret Hosta Swap' is Set-Up so that No One Knows Who is Mailing to Who. No One Will be Receiving a Package From the Person They are Sending to.

All Secret Hosta Swap Packages Must be Mailed by USPS Priority Mail, FedEx, or UPS with a Delivery Confirmation(DC) Number, . Once You Have Mailed Your Package...Please D-Mail Me with Your DC number or Tracking Number. This Will be Used to Track the Package if there is Any Problems with the Delivery.

Please Remember to Send Me that D-Mail with Your Information for Mailing...So You May Participate in this Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap'.
Make Your D-Mail Subject Line...'Secret Hosta Swap' and Include the Following Information:
Your Full Name (First and Last).
Your Full Mailing Address (Including Zip Code)
Your Dave's Garden 'Screen Name/User's Name'.
Your Personal E-Mail Address.

I Will D-Mail You with a 'Confirmation D-Mail' that You are a Participant of the 2009 Spring 'Secret Hosta Swap'.
I Will also be Posting Below the Participant's 'Screen Names' as They Sign-Up. If Your Name Does Not Show Up on the List Below...Please D-Mail Me to Get this Corrected.

A Very Important Sideline Note...
Hosta Secret Swaps are Always a lot of Fun and We Can Avoid Disappointment by Making Sure that those who Sign-Up for the Hosta Secret Swap are Committed to Following through and Mailing out their Packages on Time. Please...Do Not Sign-Up if You Can Not Complete Your Obligation.

NOW...Everyone...If You Wish...
Post or Link Your List of Hosta(s) that You Have Currently in Your Garden Below When You Post to Participate. Wish Lists May be Posted Below Also.
(This Does Not Mean that Your Trader Has to Send You a Hosta(s) from Your 'Want List'. It is Just a Guideline so People Will Know what Hosta's You Have Currently in Your Garden and what Hosta(s) You May be Looking for.
Any Hosta(s) that are Sent...are Totally Up to the Individual Who is Sending.
This 'Hosta Secret Swap' is as All 'Secret Swaps' are...For Fun!

So Let's All Have a Good Time!
If You Have Any Questions or Concerns...Just D-Mail Me.

Lelan.

Links for:
Simple Instructions for Shipping
http://hostalibrary.org/misc/ship/index.html

W~E~L~C~O~M~E.....................
'Secret' Hosta Swap Participants

~~~SENDING and RECEIVING LIST~~~

Will Update Receiving on Tuesday.

50glee- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/12~Hosta Box Received from ZZTOPSOIL.

--------
beclu727- Hosta Box Sent- 6/3
6/4~Hosta Box Received from mittsy.

--------
bisa80- Hosta Box Sent- 6/2
6/8~Hosta Box Received from bluegrassmom.

--------
bluegrassmom- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/20~Hosta Box Received from MudGirl.

--------
bentleygardens- Hosta Box Sent- 6/_
6/_~Hosta Box Received from happgarden.

--------
bluepoppy- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/8~Hosta Box Received from Mrs_Ed.

--------
Catbirdsue- Hosta Box Sent- 6/5
6/11~Hosta Box Received from bluepoppy.

--------
gardenlady123- Hosta Box Sent- 6/2
6/_~Hosta Box Received from Hemhostaholic.

--------
happgarden- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/13~Hosta Box Received from pegzhere.

--------
Hemhostaholic- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/11~Hosta Box Received from Rose1656.

--------
Hostanquilts- Hosta Box Sent- 6/3
6/15~Hosta Box Received from bentleygardens.

--------
Jen_D- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/5~Hosta Box Received from beclu727.

--------
jody- Hosta Box Sent- 6/1
6/9~Hosta Box Received from Willit_Grow.

--------
joycet- Hosta Box Sent- 6/2
6/3~Hosta Box Received from jody.

--------
maidofshade- Hosta Box Sent- 6/1
6/8~Hosta Box Received from plantnutz.

--------
maozamom- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/8~Hosta Box Received from Catbirdsue.

--------
mittsy- Hosta Box Sent- 6/2
6/5~Hosta Box Received from RatherBDigging.

--------
Mrs_Ed- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/8~Hosta Box Received from ruby42.

--------
MudGirl-Hosta Box Sent- 6/16
6/10~Hosta Box Received from 50glee.
--------
pegzhere- Hosta Box Sent- 6/10
6/22~Hosta Box Received from Ponditis.

--------
plantnutz- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/12~Hosta Box Received from Jen_D.

--------
Ponditis- Hosta Box Sent- 6/17
6/4~Hosta Box Received from maidofshade.

--------
RatherBDigging- Hosta Box Sent- 6/3
6/4~Hosta Box Received from joycet.

--------
Rose1656- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/6~Hosta Box Received from weeding.

--------
ruby42- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/_~Hosta Box Received from maozamom.

--------
Weeding- Hosta Box Sent- 6/3
6/5~Hosta Box Received from bisa80.

--------
Willit_Grow- Hosta Box Sent- 6/6
6/8~Hosta Box Received from Hostanquilts.

--------
ZZTOPSOIL- Hosta Box Sent- 6/8
6/3~Hosta Box Received from gardenlady123.

"THANK YOU"...For Participating in this Fun Event.

Please.......
Don't Forget to Send Me Your Delivery Confirmation Information in a D-Mail if You are Signed-Up to Participate.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2009 11:49 AM

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Count me in! Always fun to get surprises in the mail. My "have-list" is in my Journal here at Dave's.

The only one that I can think of that I want is 'Jack of Diamonds' that I lost over the winter :-(

Lelan you have d-mail.

Rose

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I have been waiting for this swap! I had so much fun sending and recieving last year... Please count me in! I am second to sign up yippie! My hosta wish list:
Dawns early light
Marilyn Monroe
Orange Marmalade
Any bright greens or yellows are great.
But I would be happy with ANY hosta. Such an ADDICT.
Thanks so much for hosting this again. Very well run last year ZZTOPSOIL. I will have to updae the journal to include all the hostas I purched last year. So far behind. But thats fine if I get duplicatesThanks again, Ronna

Huntersville, NC

Oh please, count me in!

My want list is
- Blue Mammoth
- Dark Shadows
- Orange Marmalade
- any hosta with ruffle edging
- the giants or minis . . .
- ANY hostas . . .
have I been specific enough? LOL

Im offering:
Great Expectations, High Society, Earth Angel, Wide Brim, Golden Tiara.
I will check and see if I have more that are large.
the rest Im not sure are mature enough to divide.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

ZZ you have dmail.

I would like one of these if possible. I lost them to bad weather or conditions or something.
Great Expectations
Revolution
Minuteman

Little Black Scape
You can see a list of what I have in my journal. http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewbycat.php?cat=77443

I have minis/smalls already in pots.
Lemon Lime
Twist of Lime
Allan P. McConnell

This message was edited May 9, 2009 10:03 PM

This message was edited May 22, 2009 9:13 AM

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

where is everyone? This swap is so fun come on join in ;) I recieved six very nice hosta starts from my partner in the fall last year. They all are doing great growing a couple of them doubled in size. Ronna

This message was edited May 10, 2009 8:21 PM

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I'd like to participate.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to join up. I will have to think about my wish list. I have several that I can send. I know the first post says at least one but how many did you guys send last year in a box?

Teresa in KY

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well I was brand new to this swap and did not know how many to send I sent two out and looked on my partners list and sent a bonus plant she really like them. I recieved I believe six eyes. Boy was I ever surprised. So this year I will send more out. Ronna

Locust Grove, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm in as usual

Ed

Millerstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Count me in! Have been waiting for this, missed out in the fall. My haves are listed in my trade list. Some of my wishes are listed there as well.

Jen

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I need to utilize the journal and trade section on Daves. Just haven't done that yet.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Please add me to your participant list. I'll check back after we are back in NY, we're enroute in Ky at the moment.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Sign me up too... can't resist a trade as long as I'm going to be home this year.

I'd like to replace some that I have lost in the past, but don't feel obligated to.

Kifukurin Ko Mame or Fukurin Ko Mame
Tattoo
Cookie Crumbs
Radio Waves
Rhythm & Blues
Hidden Cover
Cherry Berry
Black Foot

I'll list more later when I have a chance to go thru the beds & see which other ones I'm missing. Those are just the few that I can think of.
Jan in Central Illinois

This message was edited May 11, 2009 6:37 PM

Bettendorf, IA

I'm in!! You do such a great job organizing this, too. Thanks!! I will DMail now and add my list later :)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm in too!

Not fussy at all about what I get…

I tend to like the blues. Big or little. I have a new pond this year and anything that might do well with some sun in that area (planted at the pond's edge) would be great. I already have lots of lancifolia though.

I'll edit to post my full list later, here are some I have now.

HAVE
Wide Brim
Patriot
Night Before Christmas
Great Expectations (new in '08)
Lakeside Shoremaster (new in '08)
June
Independence (new in 08)
Gold Standard
Some from Frances Williams seeds but appear to not be true to that plant. Probably the parent, 'Elegans' instead.
Lancifolia
Undulata albomarginata

Halcyon (got in '08 Secret Swap)
Honeybells (got in '08 Secret Swap)
Toy Soldier (got in '08 Secret Swap)
Birkwood's Parky's Gold (got in '08 Secret Swap)
Fortunei Albomarginata (got in '08 Secret Swap)
Gold Drop (got in '08 Secret Swap)

This message was edited May 12, 2009 8:40 PM

This message was edited May 27, 2009 10:31 AM

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, I am so glad Lelan that you are hosting this swap again! You're the best!
Count me in too...I will dmail the information that you are requesting.

I will post later my list. My problem is going to be that some of my labels are missing (gotta love those squirrels, huh?). I will post what I SHOULD have. I will only send what I am sure the name is. I just love this swap...more hostas and meeting new hosta friends...

Thanks, Lelan.
RatherB

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello, Jan
I haven't seen you on in quite a while. I just love getting a box of plants in the mail. Just like Christmas :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I LOVED this swap last year. I lost my job, so I'm not getting in a lot due to the cost of postage, but I absolutely cannot pas this one up!

I've been longing for:

Liberty
Earth Angel
Orange Marmalade
and oh so many others!

I'll be thrilled with whatever I get!

Thanks Lelan!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Do most of you have your journals here on DG? That would make it easy to see what to send, and not be a repeat but something new for your garden.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Woohoo! I was so excited when I got the Dmail!

I'll send a dmail back to you with my information, and add a list later!

Thanks again for doing this!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I do and I TRY to keep the journals up. Sometimes I get behind. Kinda helps me to remember what I have alos! But I do have a p-touch labler now from my wonderful hubby for x-mas! That really helps me. Ronna

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Bluegrassmom, good to see you here also. I've been busy & haven't been on the hosta forum much. Been on the prayer forum & the Iowa Roundup forums. I was watering my house plants today & when I got to the Angel Wing begonias, I thought of you. We are going to the Iowa roundup this weekend & when i get back, I'll be moving almost all my house plants out onto the porch. That's a big job. I really should cut back on some of them, but don't want to throw good plants out & so far haven't had any takers on some of them.
Jan in Central Illinois

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I'll play too! :)

I have about 100 on my wish list, LOL! Some of which I already have but just want another ;) I'll list a few, but really... any hosta will be a welcome addition to the yarden :)

Angel Feathers
Azure Snow
Blaze of Glory
Bread Crumbs
Corn Belt
Enchantress
First Mate
Great Expectations
Gunsmoke
Heatwave
Hideout
Hope
Rainbows End
Sea Gulf Stream
Sweet Innocence
Tootie Mae
Tutu

Arnett, WV(Zone 5b)

I would love to join!

I could use several of course!
Heres a few that was lost in the battle. LOL

Big Daddy
Second Wind
Titantic
Any with Cat
Tiffanys Godzilla
Blizzard
Pauls Glory
Dream Weaver
Dream Queen
Empress WU
Alantis
JuneFever
Beconing
Emerald Ruff Cutt
Climax
camelot

Cathy

This message was edited May 29, 2009 1:50 PM

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 12:16 PM

I checked mine and I would have the following available to share:

Albomarginata
Blue Wedgewood
Francee
Ginko Craig
Golden Tiara
Lancifolia
Univittata
Ventricosa
Wide Brim

The flower colors vary depending on how much sun they get sometimes light lavender, sometimes dark almost purple. I've planted then in different spots in the yard, so usually go by rib count when identifying.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I have my hand up high wanting to join in on this swap too. LOVE to swap hostas to support my habit.

Worked on putting my list of hostas that I have on here and now it is lost in cyberspace. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH Back to try again tomorrow if I get a chance.

edited to add:
I am happy with whatever I get but I do love ones other than the more common white or yellow edged. I am a bit lacking on streaked hostas and yellow hostas although I do have Zounds. I can't get my list of haves to post here properly and wish I was a computer geek sometimes instead of a computer dummy. lol

Lani

Ponditis

This message was edited May 29, 2009 1:39 AM

This message was edited May 31, 2009 12:37 AM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

It helps when you collect several things like hosta + iris, daylilies, ect. Free plants are fun!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

mittsy I have lots of the one with the white rim around the leaf. What is that called? Love them they never dissapoint. Ronna

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

I would like to join in on the fun too ! I have a small collection of approx 40 - 50 different ones. Some would be:
Krossa Regal
Guacamole
El Nino (one of my personal most favorites)
Halacyn
Shiney Penny
Blue Mouse Ears
Sum & Substance
Blue Arrow ? Something
Little Sunspot

What I would enjoy receiving would really be any and all.
I do love the Blue ones and getting hooked on the yellows.
I would like to have more minis in my garden. The only ones of them I can think of are:
Peanut &
Teaspoon

Thanks ZZtopsoil, you will have d-mail very soon.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am wishing for:
MONTANA A.
PEANUT
CAT AND MOUSE
TEA & CRUMPETS
BLUE MOUSE EARS
CAT AND MOUSE
STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
SPILT MILK
CATHERAL WINDOWS
LAKESIDE CHA CHA
CAPTAIN KIRK
More WIDE BRIM &
BIG DADDY
OLIVE BAILEY LANGDON

This message was edited May 24, 2009 8:23 PM

gardenlady123, how many rib pairs on your Hostas with the white edges?

Lelan,
I'd like permission to offer a brief history on Hosta that I read in my Illustrated Encyclopedia of Gardening, 1960. It gives all the early forms that all others were bred from. I can either enter it here or participants can d mail me and I can attach it as a Word document.
Mittsy

Pictured is Ventricosa leaf with rib count of 10 pairs.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to see it Mittsy.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

mittsy there are 10. Where do you go to look? Ronna

I check PlantFiles. It gives the rib pairs as part of the description.
The following information came from my 1960 copy of the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Gardening. Enjoy.

Hosta (Plantain Lily) was previously grouped under the generic name of Funkia.

Early varieties:
H. Caerulea has deep green foliage and lavender blue flowers.
H. Fortunei, blue green leaves with pale lilac flowers.
H. Fortunei variegata, with green and creamy white variegated leaves.
H. Gigantea is a vigorous form.
H. Lancifolia has narrow green leaves.
H. Lancifolia albo-marginata have white margins.
H. Plantagenea have light green leaves and fragrant white flowers. Produced Royal Standard.
H. Sieboldiana, blue green leaves with white flowers with a purple tint. Produced Elegans.
Undulata variegata, green leaves splashed with white.

The name Hosta commemorates Nicolaus T. Host, an Austrian physician.

Propogation was by clump division.
Seed Sowing - use light soil, plant in June, keep in cold frame until the following spring or early summer.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow thanks.... Ronna

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I would like to join the swap..I like the ones that come up like a fountain..Have some and they are really nice.....Don't have many if any Lakeside but would be pleased to get anything. I like the 2 toned ones....Yellow and green...and have seen the White Feather..Does anyone have one of those.....??

Silver Lake, MN

Just checking in with a wish list., Really in all the swaps I have participated in I have always been thrilled with whatever is sent. I have over 200 different kinds, but always can find a spot for whatever is sent. I am leaning to the yellows and shiny leaved ones this year but also would like to replace my Sagae I lost. Tall ones are also a good fit for the back. This is always a fun thing for me and I hope all of you will feel the same when this is over. No wonder they call hostas the friendship plant!! ZZ you are an angel for hosting. Thank you again.
Cheryl

Last year I experimented with Hosta in the pond and Impatiens in the waterfall cascade. I was out weeding and cleaning up around the pond and discover that the Hosta I had put in a window box and sunk in the pond must have seeded itself. When I took the windowbox out in October, I planted the Hosta back into the garden so it would overwinter. I just set the window box aside and forgot it. I found three tiny hosta plants in the windowbox. Too bad I don't remember which variety I had in there. The babies hae solid green leaves. Needless to say the impatiens did not survive the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.