garden pics: you MAY see this in MAY....#4

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

A thread for just about anything that is going on in your garden, or whatever plants you felt like taking pictures of!! I hope that everyone joins in from anywhere, since we're all Northwest of somewhere!

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982977/

Thumbnail by redchic01

I love brunnera... although, I'm not sure what's happening with the leaf already. Hopefully it stops.

Thumbnail by redchic01

another one of my one, lonely, trillium erectum.

This message was edited May 8, 2009 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by redchic01
Poulsbo, WA

Shot for an hour, too late in the evening. but got one keeper. :)
This nice thing about today's cameras is that they are better than a good pair of glasses.

That trillium is astounding! I did not know they existed in red. wowzers.
Also, hate to leave the other thread behind, because that purple flower greets me each time.
I have never seen a way to edit an image, but if there is, why not put that trillium or another one of your outstanding photos there. don't throw you tripod at me. :)

This message was edited May 8, 2009 10:10 AM

Thumbnail by neofarmer

Thanks Neo, trillium recurvatum, sessile, trillium erectum are red trilliums! One of them 'nods' more than the other. I believe that it's recurvatum that's more of a nodding flower, but don't quote me on that. In fact I just remembered that the deads ones were sessile, that one is erectum.

Talk about astounding.... so's your picture of that violet!

This message was edited May 8, 2009 10:15 AM

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Redchic, I love brunnera too! Your pic is really nice--furry! Hopefully the marks on the leaf are just light frostburn or somehting that is as bad as it is going to get! I LOVE the red trillium, that is absolutely fantastic! Even if it is the only one, you should be thrilled.

Neo, I know how the shooting when it is too dark thing goes. When I get home from work, the light is usually pretty poor, but if I find something new, I can't resist trying! Your violet pic is lovely.

I got hooked on cuphea a couple of years ago, and Mom found this little joy for me at Fred Meyer the other day. Color is washed out as again, the light was poor...but I know that I will get a better one this weekend!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Thanks RJ! and thanks for reminding me that we did freeze quite a few times after the poor thing started leafing out. Oh how quickly I forget such things. I believe that you nailed it with a case of frost burn.
That cuphea is neat looking!!

Poulsbo, WA

Thanks redchic!

cool cuphea, rarejem! I love how a small flower can become grand with close up photography.

Here is some FALSE ADVERTISING for you, buy my "blue" violas, they are amazing, $100. per plant!

:)
Gotta love photoshop!

This message was edited May 8, 2009 10:52 AM

Thumbnail by neofarmer
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Oh so blue. Lovely

Ginger

Poulsbo, WA

Speaking of blue, I was watching old trek episodes
on youtube last night and just had to take a screen grab of this shot!
I am imagining that he is looking at some kind of
glowing blue space plant!

:)

Thumbnail by neofarmer
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

How funny!!!!
I love all the blue flowers. I can't take pictures worth a darn, so I really enjoy looking at all of the postings.

lol... cute neo

my cat just a few minutes ago

Thumbnail by redchic01
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love the container, love the trillium. Thanks for the new thread. This turned into a great thread, thanks for starting it.

another of her communicating with something

Thumbnail by redchic01

sure thing Willow. I'm glad for everyone that's here!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yellow plants under the yellow rhodies. Varigated artemisia and Lamium

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Oxalis, bluebells, chives, astillbe, and bleeding heart all under and around a camellia, a fuchsia, and a clematis. The fuchsia is coming up from the bottom and needs to be pruned back.

This message was edited May 8, 2009 11:46 AM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Same bed, righthand side, hellebore, deer fern, mint and other stuff I'm sure.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Nice garden pictures, Willow.
Redchic, your cat must be learning from you! SHe is getting ready to sit down at the computer and email pretty garden pictures to her envious kitty friends

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

red. The trillium is fantastic. I had not seen a red one either. Very special! Your cat reminds me of our cat Fiesty who is away at college with my daughter. I think yours may be more interested in the bowl of cereal and milk than surfing the net!

Neo..I love post 6522183. The one rain drop just hanging there on the left side! Great!

Here is Feisty...on the furniture! Naughty Kitty!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

OMG.... they are soooo much alike!!! Does Feisty not have a tail either? She looks like she has the big feet and hair tufts like the manx do. Precious is half manx and that's why she doesn't have a tail. But, maincoon have the feet and tufty hair too.

Willow, I wish that my beds were in half as good of shape as yours are!!

That's funny Lynn! Could be the case! I'm not sure since I do think that she wants the cereal bowl, but she usually looks at whoever she wants to get her the "object" that she wants. And it's very, very new that she's taken to people food. She doesn't like milk. But.... she has discovered that there's a difference between plain milk and "cereal milk". She's followed me everywhere that I go with my cereal for the last week.

Bea.... She's also discovered the 'pointer' on the computer screen! so who knows!

Poulsbo, WA

Beahive, that drop was really truly hanging like that. Honestly, I did NOT add it in Photoshop. :)
I have never seen one do that, hanging on the edge so perfectly round. I confess to using the misting bottle to get the drops, cos I am addicted to water drops on plants. :) Of course as much as it rains here, the bottle usually isn't needed.

Neo, That's some neat photoshop work! Took me a minute to realize that it was the same photo! I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Redchic, Beautiful helper! Now you know who you can blame any typo's on! It would be very easy to think that Precious and Feisty were siblings. Both are adorable.

Willow, That's the first time in a long time something has made me say "Oh how pretty" in referance to lamium! Nice shots.

Poulsbo, WA

Ha, Rarejem, I got you! ;) Wouldn't there be a line of people out my greenhouse!

Willow, I love you green/yellow garden! I like to throw in something black for contrast, too.

Thumbnail by neofarmer
Poulsbo, WA

Another black and gold. I have these combinations tucked around everywhere.

Thumbnail by neofarmer
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Shelly, I recognize that "Plants of the Pacific Northwest". Your office area is way too neat. I, too, seem to lose my computer chair when I get up.

I love the picture with her paws up.

Kathy

Neo, OOh la la! Like that black and green!

Ok, so I didn't know where to fit this in, but I guess "things you may see in May" is as good a place as any. I know that at least Ginger has seen it, but don't think many others spend much time at the daylily forum. Boy did it make me say "OMG Mother Nature sometimes has an ODD sense of humor!" The entire thread is humorous, but this took the cake! (Note--easily offended should not follow link, nor those with impressionable children nearby!)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6510169

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Red.. Feisty is mostly coon I think. She has a very fluffy full tail but has short little legs. Her legs remind me of Corgie dogs. She will be moving back home in August while my daughter does her internship. If she moves far away , Feisty will be staying with me. Shes a great cat except for the shedding! :)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

HAHAHA Rarejem. Shame on the Sea Thrift!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That's great. Definitely a reason to run and get your camera.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

neo, I have been thinking of getting some mondo grass. Maybe I will line the timbers with it, or around some rocks.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

It does well here - likes shadier spots and tolerated the winter without a hiccup.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes. Have you been to Blodel's on Bainbridge Island? Their walk to the Japanese Garden is lined with mondo grass. My neighbor has a bunch, maybe I can steal some.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think it's a pretty slow grower, which must be why it's so expensive.

Maybe you can trade some with your neighbor. Too bad you can't get up here to Flower World - they have good prices - gallon pots are generally $5.99.

I haven't been to Blodel's. I'll add that to my list.

Kathy

Poulsbo, WA

I used to have a yearly membership to the Bloedel. I photographed in every season and filled my hard drive! The Japanese garden is delightful but my favorite place, by far, is the moss forest. I did a quick painting of my favorite crook in the path.

If you can find black mondo for 5.99 a pot, buy it! :)
Bainbridge Gardens sells it for 9.99 a pot. It grows so slowly that if you don't buy a fairly large amount, it will be years before it looks like anything. bummer.

Thumbnail by neofarmer
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Neo, love your blacks and golds, and your paintings!

Here is one of my Japanese Maples, framing water lilies in one of my very small ponds.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

And here are some of my koi, now finally starting to like to feed. I do not clear the pond water completely for a couple of reasons: Herons seem to tune right in when the water is too clear (they cleaned me out of about a dozen a few years back!) and the fish really do like to eat the algae that grows in the water, and seem to flourish on it.

And who can pull the forget-me-nots at this early date, when they complement the grape hyacinths so nicely?

My variegated holly with Mountain Fire in the background.

A while back I touted the tulip, Daydream, which starts out yellow and turns orange as it matures. I planted a package from Costco under my pear tree that were identified as "Daydream". Well, turns out that it wasn't the same one.........Still a nice tulip. Hope it comes back as well as the one I thought I was buying.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.