Missing Clematis?

Parkersburg, WV

Late last summer I recieved an order for several Clems. I had an Abundance substituted to me for a Niobe. I was not happy with size of the plant or for the root size. I had the charge for this one removed from my bill after I emailed Pics of items to company. I have waited all spring to see a start of Abundance come through the ground, so far nothing is showing.

My question is how long can it take for a slow one to come up? I planted it in a row of clems next to my privacy fence. All the others are up and starting up their trellises. I planted it just as deep as the other ones and placed a pile of leaves over them to protect them from winter since they went in ground late in year, I wanted to give them some extra protection. I will try to replace it with a Niobe if I am sure that it is dead, just did not want to dig up the area just in case it was hiding from me.

Delaware, OH

taj, not sure how deep is deep. sometimes clems can sink deeper than planted too, too with repeated top dressing. i went into some holes a week or so ago with hands and dig and and found some sleepy clems at least 8 inches under soil level.
i have had two clems make first appearance in last few days. entel and voluceau. so for me, in this zone i am not giving up till frost date may 15, even then will keep my eye on a hole thru the season.
sometimes clems take a rest, but frankly, when clems take a big rest mid season, i have rarely had them come back super vigorous, they usually come back ,but not a super plant. but some do wake up later than others. probably depth and sun level or similar variable. and type of clem.
if you want to put niobe in now, put it next to the hole, in another hole?

Parkersburg, WV

thanks guru,
I think if I get to put in a niobe I will put it in off to one side.
taj

Delaware, OH

taj, my kullus just showed her shoots yesterday (and believe me i check these ones not up at least, and will admit to sometimes twice, a day. I will walk out of my way to check them.
i had reached in to holes and checked a few and they were very deep, but there. lifted one or two higher.
i still have several not showing, but was thrilled to see kullus yesterday. still missing marmori, bourbon, perevil pristine, cassis, sally cadge, kirigame, a couple of ones from 08 fall chalk hill close out that can't remember off top of head with first cup of coffee in hand. so i am newly optimistic. all along the spring, have treated each hole with a sleepy clem the the same water, top dressing, fertilizer etc as if they were a visible plant. all of the ones not up were fall 08 plantings....marmori is the one i will be disappointed about if it does not show, it is a huge, beautiful clem.

so fingers crossed....

Parkersburg, WV

Abundance was a fall of 08 planting , so I am concerned a little about it. Did not look like a healthy specimen from the get go. Funny I just sat down with my first cup of coffe also, and one of the first things i do sometimes to wake up is check Daves.

Your Gardens must be spectacular in the summer with all the Clems blooming. Maybe you should charge tours so you could buy even more clems. I love to read your posts and Jeanne'sfrom texas. You can give advice with alot of practical experience behind it.

Thanks for all your great advice.
Tim

East Bend, NC

I also have two clematis that were planted late last summer that have not emerged yet. I dug down and found the root of Carnaby and it seem to be alive and healthy. I have not disturbed General Sikorsky. I was quite discouraged but after reading your post I am hopeful . Thank you.

Delaware, OH

sugarblue, g sikorsi is always a late show for me. i have one that is up and one that isn't . not even on my worried about list. it also is a clem who can "take a break" and rest. i love the flowers, but it is not a totally reliable steady clem. maybe as it is a general it does not have to obey the rules?

tim, yes mornings are the best time for gardeners! nothing like that cup of coffee and walking around checking things out.

i think it will be a good summer with the clems. we started work so early this year with the fall clean up and right into pruning and planting..i am ahead, but the weeds are just relentless. we try to stay as chemical free as possible, and of course near the clems, if you are in the area, please stop by. i think you are pretty far from me. june is best clem month as to number in bloom at one time.

very windy here today and did some planting and fretting and all that jazz.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.