Newbie who wants to plant clematis with climbing roses......

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

and hydrangea.

I have a grand plan for the front on my house and I ordered New Dawn and Polish Spirit. I am expecting them both next week and I was wondering if there was anything I should know about planting them together and what to expect my first season.

I also received an annabelle hydrangea today and would like to grow hydrangea through it. Again, any hints an tips would be appreciated.

Also one more question......sorry this is new. I bought nelly mosher from Walmart and was wondering if I potted them and grew them in pots all summer if they would be good to plant in the fall.

I honestly have had pretty good luck with Walmart so far...........but I didn't know clematis would take years from the little packages they sell.

East Bend, NC

I have Mrs Cholmondeley ( large blue Clematis) growing through Zephirine Drouhin and it is wonderful. Zehirine Drouhine is almost thornless. I also have New Dawn . It has some serious thorns. As it grows larger it will be hard to get at your clematis to guide it up the rose (sometime new growth wants to tangle at the bottom in early spring), fertilize it and layer it if you ever want to propagate your clematis. The color combination sounds terrific.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Clematis and roses are good complimentary planting. I'm unsure about adding hydrangea into the mix since 'Anna Belle' requires moderate shade, and the roses and clematis need adequate sunlight to flowers. I've New Dawn, the climbing kind and its profuse flowers stalk has a tendency to droop with heavy spring rain. Other than that I love New Dawn. Zephirine Drouhin practically no thorns? Ooooh yahhhh! I'm going to looking into that gorgeous rose one of these days.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Thank for the advice. I didn't realize that new dawn had wicked thorns.

The annabelle is actually in the back yard in afternoon shade. Would that be to much shade for clematis?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Sugar is right..I have climbing rosa "New Dawn" and she has the meanest thorns I've ever seen..I am so wounded after pruning her..LOL..Give here plenty of room...I have her planted with clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

guess my hasband will be doing the pruning!

That is the kind of look I want for the front of the house. I have a small porch on the front and I wanted it to eventually arch over the porch roof.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.