Looking for Zone 5 Crape Myrtle(s)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello!
Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge of crape myrtles that grow in zone 5? I had one and it died off in year 3 but don't think it was hybridized for zone 5- I just got lucky for three years! I did read that there are a couple varieties called "supersonic" that are hardy to -24F but haven't seen any. Other varieties mentioned were: Sarah's Favorite and Velma Royal Delight. Anyone with experience with these or any crape myrtles that are good through zone 5 - I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

:)

Danville, IN

I'm in the same zone as you are, here in the Indianapolis area. I've noticed that quite a few crapemyrtles have been surviving the winters over the past few years. I think that most people have been planting those available from the big box stores as the nurseries don't usually stock them since they aren't supposed to be hardy. I know of at least a dozen locations in this area that have them growing in their gardens. When I've stopped and asked the owners, they all say they got them at Lowe's, or WalMart, etc. and that the plants die to the ground every winter, but grow rapidly and bloom every year. One man had a plant that was over 8' tall by August and covered with bright pink blooms. Another had a white one about 6' and bushy, and there is a bright red cultivar that blooms on a bush about 3' every year. They all have great fall foliage color, too.

In researching for you, I've found these cultivars reputed to be hardier: 'Dallas Red' (survived without injury temps to -5º), 'Raspberry Sundae' and 'Royal Velvet' (both hardy to -5 to -8º, killed to the ground at -15º, but grew back from roots), 'Royalty' (survived -3º with no dieback, and 'Velma's Royal Delight' (survived -18º with only minor injury and probably the most hardy clone of all).

Michael Dirr is said to have introduced a series of root-hardy cultivars for Zones 4 and 5 recently. I can't find the name of them, but I've heard of the 'Petite' series, the 'Razz' series, and the 'Fiji' series. They are to be treated as herbaceous shrubs, expected to die to the ground every winter, but come back quickly from the roots to bloom in the summer.

Heck, just buy some at Lowe's or wherever you see them for sale in the summer and keep your receipt! Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.