Holly- English type with cream edge and trad. shape- zone 5?

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I really want to find an English Holly that works well in zone 5. I like the really pointed-edge (not serrated) "holly" shape leaves with a cream-colored border (not yellow) and a soild green center part. Any help would be appreciated!! The picture is an example...

Thumbnail by SusieR
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

This is my Ilex x Altclarensis Lawsoniana

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

A close up of the leaves

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ilex × altaclerensis is only zone 8 hardy - won't survive in zone 5!

Resin

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Galanthopile,

I'm JEALOUS!!!! I just went to a local nursery and they said they won't even get any in because the new growth will die. We seem to warm up here and then get a freeze (we had a warm spell then 4 inches of snow about three weeks ago (April!)) and he said that the "pretty" hollies don't survive that. I am determined to find some that will!

I don't know why we (in the US) don't seem to have as many hollies as you guys both do in the UK... They are so very beautiful. Thanks for the pictures, though- they are beautiful and you've made someone 4,000 miles away very jealous!!

Best,
Susie

I hope you find what you are looking for Susie. Good luck!

Quoting:
I don't know why we (in the US) don't seem to have as many hollies as you guys both do in the UK...

Because you're in zone 5, and we're in zones 8-9! None of the evergreen hollies is reliable anywhere colder than zone 6; European Holly Ilex aquifolium zone 7. The hardiest evergreen holly is probably your American Holly Ilex opaca, hardy to zone 6.

You always have the option of deciduous hollies (winterberries, possumhaws, etc), they are much hardier.

Resin

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks to both of you!

There are actually a few Ilex aquifloiums viable in colder climates: blue boy/girl, blue stallion, china boy/girl, and another "blue" I can't think of. I have a blue girl and a china girl (which is a green holly) and had a blue boy. He died this last year- my mom said that he was tired of "servicing" the whole neighborhood. ; ) They are very pretty hollies but they are not variegated.

I've found some varietals that should work here (I can do a zone six if I'm careful) that are variegated. I'm finding some discrepancies regarding zones, though. DG shows certain hybrids (such as 'Silver Milkmaid') being good to zone 3 whereas I've found it on a commercial nursery site as a zone 6 plant. I was too late to call the nursery today but will call them on Monday and ask about it. We are driving to St. Louis, Missouri tomorrow (1 hour south of us) and I am going to look there and see if I can't find some of what I am looking for. They are zone 6a, so I might be able to find some nicer hollies that I can grow if I give them some special care.

My only other options are to move or just enjoy yours from afar!

Best,
Susie

BTW, we have zones that are much warmer than mine but holly just doesn't seem to be as popular here as it is there. Even using the Internet (which looks in all zones), it's hard to find plants like those Galanthophile has posted.

Quoting:
There are actually a few Ilex aquifloiums viable in colder climates: ...

Those are actually Ilex × meserveae cultivars (hybrid Ilex aquifolium × Ilex rugosa). Not sure if there are any variegated cultivars of this hybrid available.

Resin

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Susie, I thought I'd share my experience with an ilex aquif Ferox Argentea which has survived in my slightly warmer zone.
It's alive, but looks pretty sad. In fact, it looks awful.
I think a variegated plant that isn't well adapted looks particularly miserable.
So, my advice is to be content looking at the pretty pix from across the pond!

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Resin!

I didn't know that and didn't look. I always thought that they were Ilex aquifolium so now I've learned something new! I looked at the ilex rugosas and am not crazy about them... I'm off to St. Louis today so hopefully I'll find something I can baby along! I'll let you know if I find anything.

BTW, I did find a variegated holly, "honey maid" which is a ilex meservae here at a nursery. It's okay (not in love with it) but they want $60 for a plant. OUCH!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.