Anybody out there ?

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

I posted a question earlier, but no one has answered it. If I'm in the wrong forum, just let me know. I just wanted someone with experience ,with the iris, to tell me what type would go good around my birdbath. I've never had them before.Maybe something short,like a dwarf.Any ideas would help.-Lynda

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Lynda
It seems like any iris that doesn't get taller than your bird bath would be a good choice, unless you want the bird bath tucked in there, which might work nice too, if you are looking for something taller. If your bird bath is in full sun then a bearded iris or some type of siberian iris would work well. sounds like a fun idea. I'd love to see pictures of your final project;)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some iris behind my birdbath. Just make sure they don't get too wet when filling it. My son likes to water the birds, as he calls it, but I'm sure the iris get more than their share of water too! lol
I'll see if I can find a pic for you.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lynda - you are in the right place, please understand that this is iris blooming time for many, and most of us are out in our gardens taking care of everything, some people are just finishing up long cold winters and have only a short period of time to prepare for Spring.....this is a great forum with an unbelievable knowledge base!

As for iris around your birdbath, I agree that it would look lovely, I would definately recommend Tall Bearded, I don't know if SDB's will bloom in your zone, they won't in mine.....but the TB's come in various heights, which are in the descriptions on grower's webpages....some of mine have 30" flower stalks, and some only 10".....

Thank you all. This is very helpful info. I'll post a picture when I get mine planted.

South Hamilton, MA

There are always Intermediate bearded iris which range from 16 to 27". Measure the height of your birdbath & get some in the size range you wish. Look at vendors on line like Snowpeak & Mid-America.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i have my siberians around the back and side of my bird bath ,the delicate foliage looks so good i think. the bigger fans of tall bearded gives a different look .

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I like siberians around the birdbath too. They have shorter siberians also, if you don't want something tall. Baby Sister, for example. I'm with Iris28 on the delicate look of the siberian foliage, and the foliage looks good all year, unlike bearded foliage in a lot of areas.

Everyone has great suggestions. Now i'm gonna look on some Iris sites and see what I can order,
Lynda

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

these are MTB Iris and they are a great hight for around bird baths or yard art.this is Welchs Reward , grows well and i cant kill it ?LOL

This message was edited May 8, 2009 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by tazzy
South Hamilton, MA

Welch's Reward is a great grower as is lookalike MTB 'Bumblebee Deelite' (yes, spelling is correct).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.