Fibromyalgia and chronic pain gardeners

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Just in case anyone is looking for a support group for gardeners with Chronic Pain issues, please come join us at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/982824/
We really want to be an encouragement to you and you can also help us!!
There are people with a wide range of issues from Fibro to MS to Polio survivors, so please come join us. We have great fun sometimes and share problems others, but mainly just try to be there for each other as buddies and encouragers thru lifes ups and downs.

BirdieBlue / Sheri

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 12:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 12:03 PM

Hi to all of you lurkers out there. It would be nice to share encouragement with each other.
I am a bit excited about my decision to look into civilian versus Veterans Administration treatment for my chronic pain issues. All the VA has done for years is medicate, and I am very ready to get into some therapies and other treatments and hopefully reduce some of the meds that I take.
Is there anyone out there that has any experience with Pain Mgmt centers that would care to share some experience with me?
In the past I have asked the VA about a TENS unit, but they seem more interested in just passing out pills rather than promoting and encouraging a better lifestyle.
My L4 - S1 vertebrae cause not only back pain, but severe sciatica. I have also developed arthritis in the SI joints and Bursitis in my hips.
Also had arthroscopic of both knees last winter. Left one has now been recommended for a total replacement.
Fun Huh?
Well , I hope You have a good day and please join in.

edited for spelling & grammar

This message was edited Aug 13, 2009 3:49 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch! Hi, Sheri! At the encouragement of my physical therapist I joined our local Y, which has all kinds of equipment adapted for wheelchairs, but I think I overdid it. They have a machine that moves the bicycle for me! It's all amazing but painful. Turns out I have loss of ROM in my shoulders, which I didn't know. :( So today I am sore, but I hope tomorrow i will be stronger. I hope you feel better tomorrow too.

Carrie, you are such an encouragement. I know from things you have shared over the past year that I have been a member of DG that you face many challenges. i admire your fortitude and good spirits. Having family members I'm sure is a blessing and also your PCA's as it keeps you going and probably helps you to stay out of any serious depression or isolation mode. That is a real challenge living alone. My tendency to keep the curtains drawn, sleep as much as possible and not go anywhere certainly does not help.
But ,k I have really had enough of the VA's idea of treatment which is to increase pain pills over the years to now the current very strong patches, which are great as far as the pain relief, but I cannot function so medicated that I am lethargic down and sleepy all the time.
I am hopeful that a PMC will be able to get me regulated on a much lower medication dose and also other things such as exercise.
Elvis and I attended our Dog training Rally class this morning and it was so much fun. I would really enjoy getting back into the show ring with him as obedience, Rally and all those Doggie sports are really fun. + My best friend is 13 years old and he just longs to be active. I need to honor his love and get off my blue funk duff and work on enjoying this life and functioning body that God has blessed me with.
Oh, th med that I was started on a couple months ago really seems to be helping this mood disorder. I can truly say that I am not sad anymore and never think of "being with Jesus" as where I long to be now. I will meet Him in His chosen time and till then I am ready to get back into the game of life and be a blessing to others!! ^_^
{{Hugs}} and prayers, Sheri

Oh , Carrie, I forgot to tell you how cool it is that your y has W/C addaptible equipment. I'm sure that will strengthen you and perhaps even help with some of the spasticity issues. Sure understand about the feeling after the first few sessions thou and overdoing it. I hope you feel better in the morning also. Were you able to get a nice warm shower after to help relax all those newly awakened muscles and the soreness.
G'nite, sleep tight and happy face in the morning!!
Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, no shower last night. That would have been a good idea. I am still alive this morning! ^_^ I was planning on heading over there today but DD#2 (who is my workout buddy) isn't feeling well.

I, we (your friends on this forum) are SO happy you are feeling more hopeful, Sheri.

Thanks Lots, Carrie. Have a great day .

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

U 2. (I'm trying to be more hip but it isn't really working.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.