50 dollar for 25 dollar!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

z93 is selling these gift certificates at 9am today they wont last long
for abele's greenhouse
http://www.z93kqz.fm/goout.asp?u=http://cbsmi.incentrev.com/
im getting me one

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

sold out i dont know how-someone must have bought them all!!
i was only seconds after 9am!!!
booohoooooooo

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Bet they only had a few and people "in the know " got them first that is how it usualy works ;0)
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

they had to have bought all 100 in one purchase becuz my dil and i tried as soon as it was 9am and poof they were gone! i did buy the omelet one for 25-for 50 worth of breakfast!!! LOL

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

IMHO it's a marketing gimmick. Spending $50 anywhere is a lot of money if you ask me. By offering a $50 certificate for half price is still spending twenty five bucks and that is a lot of money too. Most of the items there are probably overpriced to begin with. You can buy hanging baskets for less than $10. They may not be as full but they will last longer. If you buy them huge and pot bound you're lucky to get them through the entire growing season unless you water once or twice a day and fertilize often as well. I've never been to this nursery but I'm betting it's a pricey place to shop. You can buy small cell flowers and do up your own baskets for cheap.

I heard 96.1 morning folks swear that 100 different people did get those coupons.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

this was 93.3 and there is no way 100 people got them!
5000 for 2500 is a nice chunk for a landscaper!!!
oh well im going to eat breakfast at the omelet house --maybe save it and take the family
out for a big breakfast one day!! LOL

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i made my own hanging baskets this year with the plugs i got in MY co-op! :)
may sell some for under 10bucks! LOL

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori you are always fabulous for keeping us up on all these give aways and things!!
Thank you any ways. I was there several years ago and found them to have average prices but WONDERFUl plants! The best 3-4" container stock.
I just went to a great place Demstratt goes too also..Blocks. It is by Detroit Metro Airport.
On Eureka Road and MiddleBelt south of I-94.
They have about 50 green houses and sell mostly annuals.
Most Flats 7.99
Flats of 18 wave petunias 10.99!
Most hanging baskets 6.99 ( I bought 6 with million bells only, they each have 3 plants. I remove the 3 and use them in my containers. I get Huge plants to start for 2.33!!)
I got Reager begonias in a basket for 8.99 (3 plants in each)
All coleus were in 5" rounds at 1.99 ea.
All most all trailing cont. plants are 1.99 or 2.49.
I went to 3 annual growers so far and have a driveway full!!
I can not wait to start filling my containers...About 50 this year!!
I only wish i had grown more stock this year but with family issues i was not able to.
How are you all finding your areas prices this year????
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

There you go talking about my all time favorite flower place.........BLOCKS. It's the only thing I miss about not living downstate any more. I used to be there on opening day and buy all my plants. They have the best prices of anyone too and beautiful plants. I used to love their prices on the wave petunias. Up here they charge about $1.39 or $1.49 each even if they're small in a flat. That's crazy. Next year I'm going to buy the seed and grow my own.

Our growing season is just too short to blow a couple hundred bucks on annuals. It just isn't worth it to me anyway. I'd rather spend it on a tree or something that will be here for years.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I haven't looked to much yet may be on Tuesday I'll go all the adds I see are 11.99 per flat thats a bit pricie when you need 5-6 flats ;0( so we will see how many pots I fill this year
Gloria

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

If anyone is interested, our Master Gardener Perennial Plant Sale is this Saturday at the Bad Axe fairgrounds Merchants building. The prices are reasonable. The sale starts at 10 am and no early sales.
If you want Bleeding Hearts, Japanese anenome, Goats beard, Clump forming Obediant Plant, Daylilies, and much more, come to the sale Saturday, May 16.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I usually spend way too much on annuals!!
I had 22 cedar planters around my garage and 17 wine barrels cut in half. Then i would pot up another
20 or so driveway and deck planters!!
That was when i came to my house 25 years ago.
These days i have sort of downsized!! only 10 wine barrels,
no cedar planters and only 30 pots that i place around my cement areas.
I usually have 50 flats in my basement. but this year because of the economy I was unable to spend the time growing and so I am cutting back this year.
How about you all??
Hey Loon i'll say hello to Blocks for you!!
And thanks Dorothy for the info!!
How are you? Busy I'll bet ...You seem to do allot of volunteer work ...That is wonderful.
Are you helping on the MG sale?
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Julie,

I have a funny story about Blocks. After we moved up here my husband was staying downstate working. He'd come up here weekends. I decided to send him to Blocks to buy my plants for me. I made out my list. I forgot to tell him to buy "cell packs" instead of "flats". He came up with whole flats of zuchinni and eggplant and a lot of other stuff. :) OMG, I thought I'd die laughing. I was giving away plants like crazy. It never dawned on me he'd buy whole flats. He's retired and living up here now so no more Blocks. I used to try to guess their opening day. It was never the date they put on the sign. I lived off of Middlebelt in Garden City so I'd drive down to see if they were open yet. It was so much fun. It's not such a secret any more and the crowds are thick as I'm sure you know. I sure wish some nursery up here would sell plants as cheap as they do. I used to like to buy the little .99 perenniasl and herbs too.

Because of the economy I'm growing most all my stuff from seed now. I only bought two flats of flowers and one hanging basket. I just don't plant as much. We focus more on our vegetable garden and fruit trees now. Something we can eat. ha ha ha

Brenda

Yes, Julie, I am helping at the sale. We are setting up on Friday and the plants I listed are the ones that are coming form my garden, I don't know what else there will be, but there is always LOTS. I was working on the pictures and descriptions of the daylilies this afternoon and I was surprised to see that I have 25 different varieties that I am getting rid of. I need the space as I have more than that many new ones to put into the same spaces in the beds.
I haven't heard of Blocks. Do they have a lot of unusual plants for sale? Where are they? Not that I need any more plants. I still have co-op plants coming. Where oh where will I put them?

Caro, MI(Zone 5a)

dorothian, I know some land that you can rent really cheap for those flowers! LOL :)

Mary Ellen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Blocks is a 50+ greenhouse nursery located in Romulus at the corner of Middlebelt and Eureka Rd. It's not far from Metro Airport. They sell everything, perennials, annuals, hanging baskets, vegetables and even some shrubbery. I bought three foot tall spruce trees from them about 5 years ago. Their stuff is healthy but most of all very economical. You can't find flowers cheaper anywhere than there that I know of. They also sell some things like growing pots and seeds. They also sell potting soil and manuer etc.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Brenda
What a great story.
Your hubby must have been red faced!!
Hey we must have seen each other drive by..
My Mom lived on Cambridge St. just S. of Warren and west of Middlebelt for 31 years!!
I was there all the time as i lived at Warren and Beech Daly!!
Small world.
Next we will have to post High Schools and see how many people here went to the same school but now live in another state or town!!
Wow Dorothy,
You sure are working hard on your plant swap.
I haven't even got all my weeding done.
Looks like i'll be at it all year again!!
i have a zillion maple seedlings. They are every where.
Oh gosh i can't even imagine having to pull them all by hand!
It is exasperating me just thinking of it.
Well better go get a bit of pulling done!
julie

I have left the weeding for later. I never run out of things to do in the garden. Maybe I can see the weeds better when thy are large LOL. Won't have to bend over so far!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.