What's wrong with this picture?

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

As an experiment, I planted these two "stone head" cabbages in coco-coir the same day, one in an EBucket with the usual EB calcuim and fertilizer ring. The other is in a plain bucket with BocaBob's WS fertilizer. You can see the difference. I had expected the EBucket to have the edge, but as you can see, that fertilizer is WOWful!
I will post again in a couple of weeks to see if the
EB catches up.
What do you think?

Thumbnail by Devota

Here is another perspective.

Thumbnail by Devota
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I think you just sent Bob a lot of business!

oocarol, really? Well, I like the product. I have used Miracle Grow and I like it but it can't touch this stuff.
Newer isn't always better but in this case, it's new to me and I love it.

Kerrville, TX

Cant argue with success and 'pitchurs dont lie. How frequently are you fertilizing?

weak ferts nearly every day except during this never endng rain.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh please send some of that rain down here? My roses love Bob's fertilizer and I only use it once a week! My EBs still use 10-10-10. If I could only use the fertilizer in granular form for my real EBs - -- Wow! I'll bet that would really be something but EB people say not to mix fertilizer into the resevoir??? Perhaps it would be to much for the roots to handle?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

What is this "rain" thing you speak of? :-)

Bob's fertilizer is working pretty well for me here in the desert. Of course I'm a nube, so I don't know how it would be using anything else!

Rain...the wet stuff that reminds me of a Bradbury story called "All Summer in a Day."
My rain barrels are overflowing, and I'm afraid the past 8 days with little sun may prevent the tomatoes from producing. And still it comes.

Ted, I'm building a canal as we speak to reach your garden. Gymgirl is bringing her "power shovel" and we'll get right on it.

This message was edited May 8, 2009 1:26 PM

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I heard I have been volunteered for some construction job over on this thread. Just checkin out the rumor that's TRUE!

"ToolGirl"

Ya'll know that commercial where the girl drives out to the desert and cuts down a telephone pole with her power saw 'cause she'd fed up with the phone company messing up her internet connection? She's my cousin...(kidding) ^_^

Kerrville, TX

Now that is a scary thought.........Gymgirl with a chainsaw!!!

Be very afraid, Jay...She's the real deal but she only uses her powers for good....[thus far]

Kerrville, TX

Tplant..........I cant find the post but I think it is on this forum about some people using soluable fertilizer in the reservoir of an Ebox. I think it was Justaguy but not sure. As I understand it, some "soluable" fertilizer's are not fully soluable and will settle out into the bottom of the reservoir. But other type of soluable fertilizers are fully soluable and will remain suspended in the reservoir water and be siphoned up to the roots. But I remember someone on this forum is using soluable fert's in Ebox reservoirs with good results.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Wonder whom that MAY BE?? I'd like to know more because EB people are positevely against it?
PS --Finally finished my rose gardens and other gardens today. Will be posting on Construction 09 plus Rose Forum and also container garden . Everything came out perfect. Can't wait for the blooms. The coco coir for my roses is perfect compared to my old mix that I used to use. Planted a lot of bulbs also in the white 5 gal coir bags.

Ok. To settle this "soluable fert in the EB reservoir" standoff, I volunteer to drop some of BocaBob's fert into 3 outta 5 of my tomato EB reservoirs first thingtomorrow morning and give a report in a few days. Ya'll tell me how much to drop in I will fill the reservoirs till they runoff so I'll know they are full of water....LMK, yah heah?!

Ggirl, never volunteer for anything.

why come?

Kerrville, TX

What stand-off. Its just a discussion. MAY BE may show up sooner or later to join in the discussion. By the way.......Boca Bob advised Joy not to use his fertilizer in one of those hose attached mixer jars. As I remember, he told her to only mix it in a watering can and pour it on the plants. Did I 'member that right? MAY BE his fertilizer is one of those non-soluable soluable fertilizers that will settle out of the water solution. WHO KNOWS? Maybe someone can explain it. I cant. I have been laboring under the impression that all soluable fertilizers were soluably soluable.

Here is something we might discuss. The definitive book on "self-watering" containers, INCREDIBLE VEGETABLES FROM SELF-WATERING CONTAINERS, is written by Edward C. Smith. On page 70 of his book he writes about fertilizing Self-Watering containers and I am quoting the last sentence of that paragraph.............Plants growing in other mixes may need fertilizer once a week. Liquid fertilizers are the easiest to use; just water with a fertilizer mix instead of water when it's time to fertilize...............UNQUOTE. The other mixes that Mr Smith was referring to is any kind of mix other than his specially prepared compost mix.

On page 98 of ED's book, he talks about using liquid fertilizer, primarily a fish/seaweed fertilizer mix, tells how bad it smells and then states and I quote..........I add liquid fertilizer (mixed with water according to instructions on the package) to the container soil; you can also add it to the reservoir............UNQUOTE.

Mr. Smith does not mention Earth boxes specifically in his book, probably trying to avoid copyright or patent problems, but all so-called self-watering containers work on the same principals as I understand it. I dont own an earth box but I have often wondered why it is not just as good (maybe better) and a lot simpler to just fill the reservoir with a good water/fertilizer mix that contains all the major and minor elements. Living here on top of a Limestone ridge in Limestone country and watering plants with limestone saturated water, I would for sure be just a wee bit leery of loading the box up with Lime as Earth Box recommends.

Hopefully we can discuss this in a friendly manner and not throw CAPITAL words at one another.

This message was edited May 9, 2009 4:36 AM

did I use a capital word on this thread? I'm gonna put that fert in those EBs first thing in the morning! And those maters are gonna either sink or swim in that reservoir water!

Thank you. ^_^

Kerrville, TX

Gymgirl. Now I dont know whether you are joking or serious.:-) But I dont wont you coming after me with your chainsaw blaming me for messing up your 'mater patch so go easy with what you pour in your reservoirs.

Mr. Smith, the GURU of all things self-contained recommended Fish/Seaweed fertilizer once ever 7 days. But there are lots of old dead fish laying around Buffalo Bayou or down around Galvestion. Maybe you could just sqush one up and poke it in the resevoir and you would be set for the season. Maybe try perch in one box and catfish in another and let us know which works best. Who knows?? You might get rich selling Gymgirls Organic Squshed Fish Fertilizer.

This message was edited May 9, 2009 4:34 AM

Kerrville, TX

Here is something you might wont to try...........making your own liquid fertilizer solution from your favorite granular fertilizer.

Put two cups of your favorite granular fertilizer into a gallon of water. Shake and mix it thoroughly untill the ferts are all thoroughly dissolved in the water. Let sit for a coupla days and check to see that the fertilizer does not settle out of the water. This is a very concentrated base solution and should never be used direct on your plants. Instead, simply mix two spoonfulls of this base solution into another gallon of water and use that on your plants approximately every 7 days. Works good and last's a long time.

You can save a lot of money making your own version of soluable fertilizer. You can end up with a gallon of the base concentrate for a lot less money than you might pay for a pint or quart of some manufacturers fancy labeled concentrate.

I guess I had better put a DISCLAIMER in here and here it is.............I, JAYWHACKER, disclaim any responsibility whatsoever and howsomeever for any attempted fertilization activity's performed by any of the coco-nuts on this or any other forum utilizing the above posted information........

This message was edited May 9, 2009 5:38 AM

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi guys,

To answer the question of post #6524778, I was told by the manufacturer that his fertilizer's nutrients will "lock up" if mixed into a concentrate, i.e. using Miracle Gro's hose attachment. One teaspoon needs to be added to a gallon of water for mixing.

Jay, is that DISCLAIMER legal text?

Kerrville, TX

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob. Now I am confused. Your fertilizer is a 'concentrate' isnt it? And you 'dilute' it by adding one teaspoon to a gallon of water. Why should it matter whether you shake it around in a bucket or squirt it through one of those hose end mixers? And I am wondering if poor old Joy is having to walk around that huge tomato jungle she has watering everything with a water bucket. She ain't getting any younger, you know and that seems like cruel and unusual punishment just for the privilege of using that fertilizer. These hose attached fertilizer squirters usually have a mix ratio of sixteen to one ( as you can see, I have been reading stuff again). Sixteen parts of water to one part of whatever you have in the jar. I have one where the concentrate to water ratio is adjustable. I probably should be labeled "armed and dangerous" when I am using that thing since the instructions require a knowledge of chemistry and math beyond the capabilities of this less than average gardener. I am thinking about barring the puppy dog from the garden for fear I might poison her or make all her hair fall out.

And yes that DISCLAIMER is legal text because I am like all lawyers, judges, politicians, preachers, and estranged spouses.........I don't like being held accountable for anything I may say or do. :-)

This message was edited May 9, 2009 12:53 PM

Crestview, FL

Jaywhacker: You are right there, I was thinking about using Bob's fertilizer on the 10 five gallon grow bags and 10 lay flat grow bags I bought from him with the fertilizer I bought from him also in the Miracle Grow sprayer or another sprayer. He said it was not designed to be used that way, so, I've been using it mixed in a 2 gallon watering can, and just watering the bags that way. It's excellent fertilizer though, as you can tell from looking at my tomatoes in my 5 gallon bags; but, in the EB reservoir though, it won't work, that is what Bob has told me anyways. I have been using it every other day, unless it rains, and I have tried to remedy that by spraying all my maters, peppers, eggplants and cukes with rot stop, as when it floods up here where I am, you can't really use a watering can. I did add dolomite lime and epsom salts to the grow bags; but, Bob's fertilizer has calcium and you add epsom salt to it to get the right balance of calcium and magnesium for your plants. I have added fertilizer to the reservoir myself on some of my EBs but it has been water soluable fertilizer in the liquid form.
joy

mulege, Mexico

I'm starting a new thread on the topic of fertilizers in self-contained box gardens.

I think there's a lot of interest in this topic and I'd like the thread topic to be clear.

Everybody go to your corners, then come out fighting. Or whatever.

katiebear

Kerrville, TX

Aint my fault............Devota started this thread. Shame on her!!

Devota just asked a simplfied question, Jayman..."What's wrong with this picture?"
Katie I think that a thread on ferts is excellant. Do it!! D

Kerrville, TX

Geezzz!! It took you all of 6 minutes to fire back at me. You got an alarm bell hooked up to the "most watched threads" page???

mulege, Mexico

The new thread is open.

Let the games begin.

katiebear

To the Teller of tall tales in Texas: I have Jay-dar

If I. Thought I was confused before, I CERTAINLY am now.... Jay, I was being funny above. Other than my DH at this point, it takes a WHOLE lot to rattle me! I'm a easy going kinds girl. Toolgirl

Lake Elsinore, CA

BB's fertilizer is the best thing I've ever used. Makes 'em grow like crazy. Especially my peppers, which are notroriously slow growers for me, they jump up a couple inches every several days with that stuff.

Here is the latest photo taken this morning, 12 days later. It has to be Bob's fertilizer.

Oops..forgot photo.

Thumbnail by Devota

Those are shadows and not chewed leaves, right?

I pruned all my sick looking tomatoes yesterday, and restaked most of 'em. Then I applied Bocabob's fert and Epsom Salts per his recipe: 1 tsp fert, 1/2 tsp. EP per gallon of water. Hand watered from the tops of the EBs. Hopefully, the care, food and temps will jumpstart my crop and it'll do what I expect it to do!

Getting eBuckets retrofitted with the eSleeve wick in preparation for the fall plant out. I think the design has really made a difference in my eBucket production. That wick design works!

mulege, Mexico

What is the esSleeve wick?

kb

Wishing you all the best toolgirl. You did so much work there.
Those are shadows on the leaves except for one leaf on the righthand bucket under the top leaf which has some little holes in it but hard to find in the pix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.