Heart diet

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My hubby had a heart attack about 10 days ago, and needs to change his diet. I'm new at this, so I would like some help. If you are on a heart diet, I would appreciate your ideas. Of course I expect him to loose weight on this, but that will be the result of keeping the blood flowing smoothly by getting the fat out of his diet.

I do not want to depend on ready made foods to feed him. My style is to cook things from scratch. Here is today's menu.

This morning he had some of those low fat eggs that come in a carton ready to pour out and cook. I saute'd a little onion and some muchrooms in olive oil, added the egg, sprinkled a little grated pepper jack cheese on it and voila! tasty scrambled eggs! That and whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a little orange marmalade, plus a couple handfulls of grapes was his breakfast.

Lunch was dry beans I cooked with onion, celery and tomato, seasoned with chili powder, served with brown rice in the bowl.

Dinner, baked fish, a small baked potato, salad with apples, brocolli, sunflower seeds, and celery with yogurt dressing.

Snacks will be grapes, carrot sticks, dried fruit and raw filberts or almonds that I buy at our local food coop. He eats less at meal times than before the heart attack, and nibbles between meals. The oils in nuts are the good kind.

Join me if your meals are a heart diet. We can all help each other.

This thread has 61 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!