Philippine ground orchids

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

Dave posted a picture of the ground orchid (Spathoglottis plicata) in the 13 orchid thread, but as I have a question I thought I should start a new thread...

My question is - I have some seed pods on one of the ground orchids, anybody know if the will come true from seed? It's hard to find much info on these plants and they are wonderful! Even I haven't killed them and they have been in bloom for three months now...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

I believe this one is called Banana Berry

Siam Fancy...

Grapette.

Keaau, HI

Hi Jenn, if the seed is from a natural species it will come true from seed. If it is a hybrid it will not.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Jenn, they are gorgeous!!

Thanks pepper - where have you been lately?

Thanks Dave, as I have no idea if the plant is a hybrid or not I guess I am just going to have to try to raise the seeds and see what happens!

Keaau, HI

Most of the store-bought plants are cultivated hybrids. You can still make divisions to get more plants!

Do I make divisions by just cutting a piece of the clump off - or is there a special way to do it? I presume I should wait until it's out of flower - although the one in the pot on the lanai (with the seed pods) looks as if it is sending up new flower heads as the old ones die off.

These plants have given me a wonderful display of flowers for three months solid, and do not seem to be bothered by any of the da kine insects either....the only downside to them as far as I can see so far, is that they don't seem to have any noticable perfume.

Aloha.

Keaau, HI

Make sure the division contains a pseudobulb and roots. I don't think that any particular time is necessary for making divisions; the wild ones seem to flower all the time.

Been busy working and trying to get outside to garden but it won't quit raining. LOL. It drys out enough to work and it rains again. Been doing alot of running around too. I will lose my mind here one of these days. LOL. But I still lurk here.

Keaau, HI

Pepper, if you lose your mind here on this website, I am sure that we can assemble a team of experts to help you put it all back together again!

Spend more time in your garden. That is my best therapy, I'll go crazy if I don't have it!

Aloha, Dave

My garden is in bad shape in some areas. I have a daylily bed that needs 3 or 4 people at once working on it and at least 10 bags of mulch to help kill the weeds. LOL. I'm hoping I come home one day and it's all cleaned out ( and not by the county mowers either). LOL.

So really, no matter what I do, there's something there to really make me crazy. LOL!!! It's like living in a rainforest right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.