Deer damage to rhodies and holly

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have severly damaged holly and rhodie from this winter. I would like to know suggestions are:
a. Cutting back the bushes. Cut back the buds that are left? How far to cut back?
b. Fertilizing - I have read that trenching around the perimeter of the bush and then fertilizing does a lot of good.
Thanks

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I too have a severly damaged Holly, and need to cut it back so i'll be watching for answers. I think the Rhody's and Azaleas took hard hits this winter....mine aren't looking so good either.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rhodys should be cut after flowering and you cut back 1/3 of the shrub, I don't have hollies so I am no help there.

What happens if 2/3rds of the rody is damaged?

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

LOL!
Or half ~ like ours. It really took quite a beating from the ice storm

Thumbnail by Candyce
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have severe deer damage on my evergreen hollies too - first time they ever touched them. I am waiting to see if there is new growth. If not, I will cut back.

Victor - I planted, Aboritive, rody. columbine, and I dont know what else. oh JM and they have all failed. I feel like crap and money - oh well. I almost want to throw in the towel.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, that's awful, Sherrie. Are you sure they're completely lost?

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Sherrie: the columbine may still be OK. Ours didn't show up until this year from a planting two years ago. Keep the faith.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

our arborvitae still haven't bounced back from the deer damage this year... and have one rody that was eaten up... and another with some cold damage... we will be doing some pruning ourselves this year

The JM is totally spent. The rody is cold burnt 2/3rds from top to bottom. The aboratives are bouncing back with new buds. The 4 columbines are ripped up (1 survivied) I have enough columbines to replace the state of RI .........

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

lol Sherrie! Columbines are beautiful....they should come back for you fine next year. If it makes you feel any better....I think my JM is spent too.

I dont know whats doing this but it dont hurt my feelings. Dead Grass

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.