Japanese maples as Ground Cover

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I was at a nursery this weekend and I saw this Japanese maple grown as a ground cover, basically. I made a mental note of the exact cultivar but of course that means that I can't remember what it was. Anyway, I thought you guys might like to sneak a peek.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a second shot.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Great photos. Was this pruned to be multi trunked? I don't get it. Was this in a bed or berm with other plants? It looks lovely.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Was it wired to be that low and then pruned? Its really pretty and lush looking. The jms that look like that are usually the split leaf variety. Looks like a bonsai. Laverne

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I wish I could answer your questions better and I wish I had taken more pictures to better illustrate the growth patterns of this tree. The JM was planted in a raised bed that was maybe 3 feet high. It was planted with several other things including black mondo grass and some boxwood, I think. It really did look cool in person.

I didn't talk to anyone at the nursery about how they grew the tree and whether or not they had to wire it to get it this way but the information placard they had with the tree said that this variety makes for good ground cover. I don't know how it would look on flat ground, but I found this particular planting really pleasing and if I had such a high raised bed or a steep hill I'd be "inclined" (pun intended) to try growing one of these.

I'll be going back to this nursery some time in the next couple weeks and when I do I'll come back with more information and more pictures.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

very interesting sox - like to here how and what it is.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Ground Cover is a very nice Jm ... it is more bushy than running not like that jpeg shows in my experience at least when young ( mine is 5 years old and hasn't had any runners!!)and probably takes several years to spread out it seems like a slow grower.. I think it is a very useful tree that can be put anywhere . i have not tested it's hardiness mine is in a container. I have not seen much color in this Jm other than green in any season including fall so i would assume you could shade grow it with little effect in coloring as that is where ground covers plants in general are most useful . This tree should be grown for it's low shape and unusual form not for any spectacular color . Davidsan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

david don't you have jm's to ship:)

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Tomorrow.pack sunday and monday ship tues and wed. today is work and play ;.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.