Leaves are curling and some seem quilted

Macon, GA

My poplar tree planted about 6 months ago is doing strange things. I can not find anything in the leaf rolls. Pest? Disease? Aliens?
Some of the leaves are normal, but both large and small leaf rolls extend from top to bottom of the tree. Thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by Harleygrandma
Macon, GA

Here is one of the smaller leaves unrolled.

Thumbnail by Harleygrandma
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Not sure on your specific ID but mine had something that I called a tree service for. The guy ended up telling me that if we put the Bayer Shrub and disease control granules around them once a year it would do the same or better than spraying. If you are near Ag extension office or botanical gardens they always help, as well as the really great people here LOL

Macon, GA

Thanks for your response. I will use that Bayer Tree and Shrub disease control stuff. I did finally call the extension office and they think it is stress. Now I need a tranquilizer for my tree! Seriously it could be from the nasty clay soil we have that makes it hard for the roots to grow. I had a chaste tree that looked awful for a few months after we planted it and then recovered. So I hope my poplar will follow suit.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Bayer Tree & Shrub won't help stress, so don't use it. The leaf curl could be caused by overwatering or underwatering. Have you had lots of rain?

West Medford, MA(Zone 5b)

Are you sure there aren't any "leaf rollers" in any of the leaves? You might see tiny white larva (I think that's what they are) or little bits of "dusty" white webbing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.