Funny Question about Variegated Hydrangea

Raleigh, NC

Ok, here's a question I can't answer. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this. I have a variegated hydrangea that is trying to break dormancy. It is a small plant, and put out 3-4 leaves from the base at the same time as my other, larger, green-leaved hydrangeas. I assume by coincidence, the new leaves it put out were almost completely white, not green. It has just stayed at that stage, with no further growth, while all the others are huge, bushy and setting blooms. Is it simply "out of energy" and can't photosynthesize with the white leaves and so grow???? Anyone else ever had this happen?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The white color fades away but it can take time, several weeks at worst. Since some sun protection might be needed (not always), keep an eye on the leaves. The problem happens most often when winter protection techniques are used but remain in place as the plant breaks dormancy. If it has been more than two weeks, something might be afoot but otherwise I would not worry, yotedog.

Raleigh, NC

Thanks so much--it does still have quite a bit of mulch around it, though we have had temps way above normal (even been in the 90's for a few days---thankfully, not now). I'll remove the mulch and give it some time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.