Dynamite vs. Red Rocket Crepe Myrtlewhich is better?

I thought I had decided on a Red Rocket Crepe Myrtle because I read that Dynamite loses its leaves a lot earlier than other crepe myrtles and that Red Rocket may repeat bloom more than Dynamite. But then I read a couple things online where people were saying their Red Rocket wasn't blooming as much as other crepe myrtles or was blooming pink. If anyone has any input on either of these, please help. I am interested in the following info:
Are the blooms red? I am matching them up with some red flower carpet roses in my yard, so pink wouldn't be as effective.
Do they both bloom profusely, or is one better than the other?
Does either one have a more attractive overall shape?
Does one have better fall color than the other?
I also looked at Siren Red but couldn't find much info on it or photos of the overall tree, just the blooms which look very dark red. It's smaller so I probably would put it in a slightly different spot. It doesn't seem to have fall color, so that's a downer. Any input on it would be welcome too.
Thanks.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Both Dynamite and Red Rocket will ultimately get 15' - 20' tall. What size crepe myrtle were you looking for? There are small growing red crepe myrtles if you want something smaller.

http://www.edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/mg/mg26600.pdf

I am looking for that size, about 15 to 20 feet tall and wide, no bigger. A slightly smaller tree would be fine too. I was just hoping to get info from anyone out there that has seen Dynamite or Red Rocket first hand, and can tell me if one has an advantage over the other, as far as redness of the blooms, abundance of blooms, overall mature shape, and fall color.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I just bought a type called "Siren Red" http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=166 from Sooner Plant Farm (Packing and plants were awesome and came FAST!). Looks like they say size is shorter than 15-20 ft but I'm in Zone 6 and mine never get more than 6-7 ft so maybe it's their zone...

The red flower looks fire engine red in all photos I could find of it on web sites.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.