Red Rocket Crepe Myrtle Fall Color and Mature Shape?

I am looking at buying a Red Rocket Crepe Myrtle for my backyard. I'm looking for a crepe myrtle with red blooms, attractive mature shape, and good fall color. I have read online that Red Rocket is supposed to have orange fall color--can anyone verify this? I haven't seen any photos showing this orange fall color, so I am skeptical. I know Dynamite is also a good choice and have read it has orange fall color, but I have also read it loses its leaves earlier than other crepe myrtles in the fall, so I thought I'd go with Red Rocket since I like both.
Also, what is the general shape of Red Rocket as it matures? Most photos on the internet seem to show smaller ones, or close-ups of the beautiful blooms. Does it have a nice sculptural shape in the winter like many other crepe myrtles, if I prune out suckers and low branches near the base as needed?
I am planning on putting the Red Rocket in an area with red flower carpet roses nearby, as I think the colors will pick up on each other nicely. There is also a Tiger Eye sumac, which is a yellow green color, to contrast with the red flowers. I would like to add yet another crepe myrtle, in addition to the Red Rocket, but have been going crazy trying to figure out what color blooms would go well with the red flowers and the yellow golden Tiger Eye. I would say I have room for a crepe that gets about 15 feet tall and wide (or smaller) and would love to add one with great exfoliating bark. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.