Diseased pea plants?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok... this started within the past couple days:

-Noticed that the small, undeveloped leaves are curling around the edges.
-A couple of the plants appear to have mildew/mold on the leaves.
-At the very bottom, underneath most of the plants are parts that appear dead... yellowed, crispy leaves, etc. I figured it was because it's not getting any sun (they are completely shaded underneath all the upper leaves).
-Pea pods started appearing 2-3 weeks ago. The first few were fine, plump, etc., but everything on the plant now is growing abnormally - Only a couple peas in each pod appear to be growing, giving the pods a weird bulged look.

Other weird things about this plant...
-it's Progress #9 variety, supposed to take only 58 days. The plants were planted from seed almost 90 days ago, so they have been growing VERY slowly.
-Seed pack said they get to be about 18" tall - about half the plants are between three and four feet high.
-Each pod, once the flower drops and it develops, is VERY slow to grow, and they don't seem to get longer than three inches (seed packet said they're five inch pods).
-Holes are appearing in the leaves.. they're definitely getting munched on by something.

They are planted next to bush beans (currently harvesting), carrots, spinach (now gone), oregano and rosemary.
Any ideas?? After googling around I'm afraid of Fusarium Wilt.. I dont want to jump to conclusions though.

Here's a shot of the "dead" looking parts of the plant:

Thumbnail by Megann
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

A shot of the mildew, and holes in the leaves:

Thumbnail by Megann
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The curled leaves..

Thumbnail by Megann
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The bulging pea pods..

Thumbnail by Megann
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Powdery mildew, check out this link with symptoms and management. http://paridss.usask.ca/specialcrop/pulse_diseases/pea/mildew.html

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I wondered if it was that, as far as the mold goes, but what explains the curling leaves, the "dead" parts, and the pea pods developing strangely? I understand that powdery mildew can stunt the plant's growth, but the pods aren't just stunted.. they look funny. Unless that's the same thing?

My peas got powdery mildew this year. The pods were stunted. At first the mildew didn't affect the pods but as the plants became more infected the pods became very stunted, the leaves turned brown then the plants died.
I planted two different varieties, Fiesty which was not resistant to PM at all and Wando, a little resistant but finally got PM.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I'm having a hard time finding anything about what to do from here... all the sites explain what it is, how to try and prevent it, and the various sprays you can use to try and control it if it appears... but I don't see anything saying whether the veggies from the infected plant are safe to eat or not, or if I need to completely get rid of the plant, etc..

I've eaten peas and squash from plants with powdery mildew. I washed them first.
Skim milk mixed 9 parts water to 1 part skim milk and sprayed on the leaves (be sure to cover top and bottom of leaf) helps control PM. Another spray mixture is 3 TBSP natural apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water and sprayed on the leaves. Neem is excellent for control of PM, but it's toxic to bees and can burn some plants if sprayed when temps are too high.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.