Eucalyptus cinerea

Vinton, VA(Zone 7a)

I have an Eucalyptus cinerea that we bought in the spring and planted outside. Since then I have been told that it is and also that it is not cold tolerant to our west central Virginia (Zone 7a) winters. It has grown beautifully outside this summer and is too big to move back indoors. So I want to try to propogate a few cuttings and leave the mother plant outdoors. What is the best way to propogate E. cinerea? I have taken cuttings and put some into dirt and some into water. Will that work? Are there better ways?
I am also wondering if anyone has experience with overwintering Eucalyptus cinerea outdoors where the temperatures may reach 0*F and average lows thru the winter are in the 20's. I am thinking of pruning off most of the new growth, wrapping the skeleton in burlap, mulching with leaves and letting nature take its course. Good idea/bad idea??? Any suggestions or experiences?
Thanks

This message was edited Saturday, Sep 15th 10:37 AM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I can't tell you about propagating, I tried to find that out myself. But our winters get down to 0 or below, and frequently in the 20's and mine has been fine for 5 years. I think your protection plan sounds really good.

Park Hill, OK(Zone 5b)

this page discusses hardy eucalyptus.http://www.wsu.edu/~ibarclay/thispage.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.