Feeding the Hummers

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Columbines are blooming so the Hummingbirds should be here soon.
Time to get the feeders out, sterilized and filled.

For first feedings a 4/1 water to sugar (cane) mixture seems to be best.
After they find the feeders and the season progresses switch to a 5 or 6/1 mix.
Don't worry about commercial mixes.
Just boil the water and regular sugar for a few minutes and they like it just fine.
We use filtered water only.
NO RED DYE!
Tap water has chlorine, fluoride and a few other little additives.... can't say they'd hurt the Hummers but...
if I don't drink it neither do they!

Ric

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, ric. Always fun waiting and watching for their arrival.

We have had ours for ten days now. Coming and going into the woods and to the (6) feeders.

Bought a 'Major Wheeler Honeysuckle' from e-bay last week and it are supposed to be 'the best' for the little hummers.

Also started some Tithonias, LIatris, Verbena Bonarienses, etc. to go with my other HB plants and vines.

We love the sweet little things. Good entertainment for those hot summer nights.

Some FAQs from Hummingbird.net for those who want to know more: http://www.hummingbirds.net/faq.html

And the Hummingbird Migration Map: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

I believe everybody can attract them if they have some of their favorite plants (red tubular flowers mostly).

Happy spring. t.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just saw the first hummingbird of the season a couple of minutes ago, a little ruby-throated male enjoying our iris blooms. And he buzzed right past my head, enough I would have been plenty startled had I not seen him coming.

I need to get the feeders cleaned and put out. We use regular tap water - we do drink ours. ;)

They love foxglove and it's fun seeing them go from bell to bell. We only had one foxglove come up for us this spring, though. Drat. They like the lantana and impatiens, though, so we're good.

This message was edited May 6, 2009 1:13 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

For some reason they don't usually appear here until later in the season.
But once the Mimosa starts blooming we see dozens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.