Bearded Iris Photos From South Florida

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Just thought I'd post a few Iris photos from Ft Lauderdale, Florida during the past month. Although these are common varieties they have been blooming/reblooming well down here in Zone 10. This is Reblooming Bearded Iris "English Charm".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Oops the first one is "City Lights". This one is "English Charm"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

This is Reblooming Bearded Iris "Immortality"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Iris "Charisma" and Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction"

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Reblooming Bearded Iris "Immortality", "Fall Spotlight" and "Rosalie Figge".

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

They all looks so beautiful and happy!!! I didn't know bearded Irises will grow in South Florida. I am in zone10a...Hmmm I wonder if they will grow here. Just little warmer than where you are.
Thanks for sharing.

Jan

Thanks Jan. In general they don't grow well at all down here except for the Reblooming varieties for me. I've had all of mine for 2 or 3 years now and the rebloomers have been a nice surprise. I just have a hunch that the rebloomers may be less dependent on needing winter dormancy to do well...its just a feeling I get. When we get our first bit of cooler weather/cooler nights in October I have always noticed that the flowering starts a couple of weeks later and continues off and on with the varieties until the following May. There have never been any blooms from late May thru mid October each year. And just to be honest with you most successes have been with Iris purchased as potted plants. Many have bloomed the first season and most have bloomed by the second season. For me they have bloomed best in a spot where they get about a half days sun. I just started with "Immoratlity" because of its blooming successes in so many regions and then decided to add to the collection after it did well down here. The best blooming one for me has been Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction". It has practically been everblooming from October - May each year.

Jon

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon, I am getting Louisiana Irises in trade today. Someone said they do well here in S Florida. I hope so because I think all of the Irises are just beautiful.

I agree with you. Irises have always been my favorite flower since I was very young. I just had to give them a try here in South Florida even though everything I have read said not to bother. Glad there are reblooming varieties of Bearded Iris. It's nice to have blooms spread out through the entire winter.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

They are all very pretty. Rebloomers must be the best ones to have since your climate lets you have lots of bloom.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I am going to have to get some down the road when my pocketbook is fatter. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.