Eeek, what's happening here?

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

I was working on my new landscaping this afternoon and after 1/2 inch of rain Friday night decided it was an opportunity to level out the clay/hardpan soil my worker pulled out of the fencepost holes several months ago. So I just used the flat shovel to break it up and pick it up on preparation for move to "storage."

Not sure if this photo will be clearly illustrative, but there are a huge number of what appear to be white eggs or nymphs in a cluster, with a huge number of ants running about. There is a piece of root adjacent to the nest. I just cut through the center of the next and really scared the ants.

What is this? Do I need to do something with/about it? What?

TIA, Linda

Thumbnail by Twincol
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm guessing those are just the ant eggs. Depending what kind of ant it is depends on if you want to get rid of them or not. My experience the small ants are harmless. I do treat the large ants because they make huge mounds in the yard.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks much, jenbrink. I've never heard of "large ants" before, but clearly they exist. LOL!

What a trip it was to see these things.

Linda

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Not sure about your area, but we have carpenters ants around here that are over an inch long!!
See them? Kill em! they will get into you house and eat up you wood. Nest in trees.

But most ants are harmless.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Carpenter ants tunnel and nest in rotting wood, but they don't eat it. Termites tunnel and eat wood - and it doesn't have to be rotting.
These are ants and pupa and their nest in the ground was dug up. Unless they're fire ants (fire ants attack you), there's no need to do anything.

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, Ceejaytown, carpenter ants. I ran photos of this by our local office of UCDavis Ag Commissioner's Office several weeks ago. It seems that we have said bugs herabouts. Carpenter Ants. A number of roots from a nearby Fruitless Mulberry were cut several years ago and are no doubt rotting; especially the smaller surface roots, which are pictured here.

The only concern they had is the proximity of the nest to the house, as they can enter the foundation and nest in the house wood. But I'm not aware of any rotting wood in the house foundation and this nest is a good 10+ feet away from the house and they nest here despite the lack of moisture of any sort for 3+ years, except for rain. So, they must be happy here.

Thanks for your response. "Good answer!" (and welcome, BTW)

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.